Tim Krul Determined To Be Newcastle Number One Next Season

Tim Krul has said today that he is ready to stay at St James’ Park this summer and become number one goalkeeper at Newcastle next season.

Tim Krul – determined to be Newcastle  number one next season

The Dutch Under-21 international had been half expected to leave for pastures anew in the summer, to continue his development as a budding top class goalkeeper, as he looks to take over the Dutch number one jersey once Edwin van der Sar finally retires.

But Krul wants to stay at Newcastle and was asked if he thinks he can unseat Steve Harper at Newcastle next season:

“Yes, I believe I can.” “Steve Harper is the club’s preference now, but I will continue to fight for a place at Newcastle.”

“The Premier League is a step up and much tougher physically, so I have to ensure I continue working hard on my fitness and my game.”

“I’ve had conversations with the manager, Chris Hughton, which have left me with a good feeling.”

“I’m not yet done at Newcastle United.”

It’s hard to fault the Dutchman’s attitude as he’s such a good goalkeeper for his age, and he he could probably be number one at some other club.

But the lad wants to  make it on Tyneside, and Tim has often waxed lyrical about the Newcastle club and how he loves it on Tyneside.

It looks like the battle for the number one jersey on Tyneside will be a keen one for the next couple of years at least. But with Steve Harper having spent so long at the club backing up the great Shay Given, he’s not going to step down easily, and certainly Steve has been great this season for Newcastle.

It looks like Tim wants to stay on Tyneside, but for his own good he may well be given a loan spell at some other club in August, if it looks like Steve will continue as number one at Newcastle.

And we haven’t even mentioned our other top 21 year-old goalkeeper Hexham-born Fraser Forster, who is currently on loan at Norwich City and getting rave reports.

Norwich City are currently a full 7 points ahead of Leeds United in League One and look certain to get promotion.

We are not short of good goalkeepers at Newcastle, that’s for sure, even after Shay Given left, and it will be interesting to see who is number one next season – hopefully when we are back in the Premier League.

• Tom4Nufc

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Right attitude… Go for it I say!

• Newutd

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Agree with you Tom.

• G

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Good luck to him, but I don’t personally feel he is ready for regular first team spot, but I will love to be proved wrong. There’s certainly no harm in competition for places in the team, but I think Stevie Harper has the edge as things stand.

• Sav

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM

If all 3 are equally good, go for the lad who’s 6′ 7″.

• newcastlestrikers

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I really do hope he gets his chance. If his does leave then we have lost one of the most promising goalkeepers in Europe. We need to keep him happy by giving him games, maybe rotate Krul and Harper them until one stands out?

• singamagpie

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Krul has the talent to be one of the best, hopefully he can challenge Harper for top spots next season. Sort of like Harper and Given when Sir Bobby was in charge.

• Mr Books

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM

You’ve got to feel a bit for Harper. I mean he is a really good goalkeeper. He could have left at any point over the last decade and picked up a no 1 spot with a premiership team. There’s every chance he would be pushing for a place on the plane to South Africa if he was. Now that he finally gets his chance, and has a decent defense in front of him to boot, is keeping clean sheets and part of a winning side – there are suddenly a whole crop of kids looking to take his place. Krul has already shown his talent, Forster is looking really good too. Sodeberg is a decent prospect, but hardly gets a mention nowadays – and then there is Jak Alnwick who is no where near first team yet, but is looking a very good prospect in the academy.
    We should also recognise how lucky we are, that in spite of having had a world class keeper for so long in Shay, we still managed to keep a fantastic number 2 and get the young talent in, both locally and from abroad to keep pushing. Something tells me that Krul wont be as patient as Harper has been, and although Forster has the local ties he is already attracting attention from his performances at Norwich this season, an knowing he’s number 3 might be enough for him to want to make a move for career reasons.
    I would be delighted if we manage to keep hold of all three – Harper is already 34 and probably only has a couple of seasons left at his best – having Krul and Forster as 0ur 1 & 2 in a couple of years I feel would be a continuation of the quality level we have had in Given and Harper. Losing one would be a disappointment, losing both would be a disaster.
    It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 2 years, as if the club is going to be serious about the policy of getting good young players and developing them, they also need to be able to manage hungry young talent looking to displace established first team players.