Kevin Nolan So Honored To Be Newcastle Captain

Nolan was captain of  Newcastle last Saturday in the absence of Alan Smith, and he could well be captain again tomorrow afternoon at the Riverside.

Kevin Nolan – an honor to be Newcastle captain
Kevin says he was honored to be given the captaincy by manager Chris Hughton as he said today:

“It was fantastic when Chris pulled me in and told me – it was a massive honor.”

“I captained Bolton in probably the most successful years of the club ever – I did that for four years.”

“That was always a huge honor, but when I came here it wasn’t something I was looking at.”

“When I came here I just wanted to come and produce my best, and give Newcastle fans what Bolton fans have seen over the years.”

“I’ve got a lot to live up to, and I know I’ve got to do better, but the captain’s armband is always nice, and it gives a huge sense of pride.”

“You’re not only leading out 10 lads. We’ve got a great squad here with great staff, and 50,000 fans.”

And Nolan has already equaled his best goals total ever in a season, when last Saturday he scored his 13th goal of the season.

With 12 games left, he hopes to get one more goal, at least to break his record, as he continued:

“Thirteen goals is absolutely fantastic, and hopefully I can push on and get a couple more goals from now to the end of the season to help the team.”

The £4M signing from Bolton Wanderers is quickly proving to be another bargain buy for the famous Tyneside club.

Comments always welcome.

• Solaidback

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Well as long as he plays his heart out every game, then he’ll become a TOON favorite & it’s good having someone like him next to Gutherie, someone who can lead by example & show the youngs guys in the squad what they need to do!

He’s not been on his game all season but he’s our top goalscorer & being a midfielder, thats not bad going, though the way Loverboy is playing, he may over tale Nolan before season end 🙂

Question for the know it alls 🙂

When was the last time we had more than 1 player with double figure goals in a season???

• Alan

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I havent got a clue but I would guess a season with Bellamy and Shearer?

• coxonfamily

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I’ve been suprised at Nolan since he came to Newcastle. When he was at Bolton he always looked class but he often looks lethargic with us. Though you can’t doubt he has been better this season, just hope he can keep getting better but at his age he should be at his peak really. Theirs no doubt when he plays at his best he can be the diffrence between a draw and a win though and can’t doubt the lad too much… hes got most our goals 😀

• stevep

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM

yup – he gets slated as being lazy sometimes but his goals have been a big difference this year

• coxonfamily

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM

He did impress me, i think it was during the reading match, when he chased down the dead ball, heading towards the corner flag, and ended up getting us the goal, that for me is when we realised the lads are going to work for our promotion.

• Solaidback

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Niether have I, thats why I’m asking lol

Not sure if Belles scored double figure while playing along side Shearer, not sure anyone did, maybe Ferdernand, don’t remember anyone else, could be Speed or Lee??

Anyone know????

• coxonfamily

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Wasn’t Alan Smith the last man to get double figures 😀 lol

• tdt

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM

maybe 4 red cards!

• baro

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM

We should go after Darren Ambrose in summer, and Darren Ambrose can take Alan Smith’s spot in center mid. Would give us a lot extra goalls.

• geoff777

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM

When he’s off form he drags the team down.
    He seems to be a very up & down player.
    Not sure we can afford that next season.

Another sign of the club’s fall that Darren Ambrose would improve our midfield in the Premiership …

On a brighter note Joey will be back soon.
    About the classiest player at the club now.