The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Carroll To Reject Scotland Advances – Maybe

9:41 am, Monday, March 15th, 2010 by Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

Andy Carroll got the late equalizer on Saturday at the Riverside, and showed that this season’s Newcastle team are made of a lot sterner stuff than last season’s overpaid relegation side.

Andy Carroll (9) talks to England U21 colleagues

Andy’s goal tally for the season is now 12, and he’s already played for the England U21 side 5 times and scored a couple of goals, after also playing at the U19 level 8 times with 4 goals.

In all likelihood the 6’4″ striker will go on to full England honors, but not if the Scottish FA can stop that.

It turns out the Scottish FA are trying to hijack Carroll to play for the full Scotland side, as he qualifies for them via his grandmother.

That’s the qualification just before the one when you have to down a couple of Scotch whiskeys to also qualify.

Only last week we were told that some top clubs in England will try to sign Andy in the summer, but Carroll will not fall into the trap of accepting Scotland’s advances on the International front.

The Gateshead-born striker talked today about the Scotland approach:

“I have heard I am wanted by Scotland,”

“I am obviously doing well with the England Under-21s at the moment and I will see what is happening there. I would be lying if I said that the Scotland thing wasn’t in the back of my mind. It is there.”

“It is nice to know I am wanted. But England is where I am from, it is my country and that is who I want to play for really.”

“Scotland is in the back of my mind and it is flattering to be wanted by the new manager.”

“A few of the backroom staff at Newcastle are Scottish, and are getting on to me about playing for Scotland. They keep telling me to get up there.”

“You never know. That might be what ends up happening.”
“It is my grandma who means I qualify for Scotland, but I’m English.”

“England is my number one target really.”

Andy would do well to hang on until after the World Cup in South Africa, and it wouldn’t surprise us if he gets an England call-up.

But we must say the lad doesn’t seem 100% certain he will not eventually end up playing for that country north of the border.

Tags: Newcastle News

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 tdt // Mar 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Come and be a legend for Scotland Andy, rather than sit on the England bench for the next decade! would be better for the toon too as he would gain far more international experience for Scotland.

We could do with a bean-pole!

• 2 Alan // Mar 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Good to see Andy recognised for his hard work :D

Looks like Kevin is getting some recognition too:

• 3 Xenarious // Mar 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM

He would be considered a disgrace if he moved to a nation that steals other nations, through the joke that is the grandparent rule. One grandparent…

Craig Levien said when he was appointed that he was going to chase down any player in England that has a grandparent that could link them to Scotland, and this is a prime example.

Another who was taken before Levien was Middlesborough’s ex player, now at WBA, James Morrison. He played at every youth level possible for England yet he jumped to Scotland first chance he got through the grandparent rule. What a joke. They stole a player who was developed through our academy’s and national youth teams. You have got to wonder what is the point with these players at the end of the day. Yes, wouldn’t go straight into the England squad, but he could have bided his time and put extra time on the training pitch and respect his country.

Why don’t Scotland produce their own players instead of stealing ours? Carroll could become a big player in the future if he is patient and keeps improving. But Scotland want to offer him the quick fix through this joke grandparent rule.

The Republic of Ireland are just as bad, trying to take Kyle Naughton, Jamie O’Hara, Mark Noble, our Kevin Nolan, etc etc. They are probably worse than Scotland atm, but Scotland are taking this route on themselves now.

Will Carroll be sporting that Scottish “A.B.E” shirt? (Anyone But England) if he chooses them?

I would also like to round off this post on how disgraceful I think it is that background staff at Newcastle who are Scottish are trying to infulence him. They should have no say in the matter. He is obviously English, an Under-21 regular and Capello has recently shown that he wants to promote players from the Under-21′s that are doing well. He could have to bide his time like the likes of Carlton Cole, Lescott and Jagielka have had to do.

Bottom line, if Carroll moves then I will have no respect for him. The Scottish should also be ashamed of themselves if they continue to poach players through the grandparent rule.
    We would also not be able to show the country that we have developed a top English player. Just an unloyal mercanary.

• 4 petey // Mar 15, 2010 at 3:33 PM

lol, its like nzogbia playing for England.

He has been told he can play for England, but capello has not said a word about picking him because it will never happen. not now, not in the future.

Reason? He is french

Although with the coaching staff made up of mostly Italians, we cant really say anything (even though a lot of countries call up foreign coaches)

• 5 Xenarious // Mar 15, 2010 at 3:49 PM

N’Zogbia? That would be like Almunia playing for England. Ain’t gonna happen.

• 6 ende // Mar 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Get off the lads case. If England wants these players so bad they can give them the opportunities they seek. If not, then at least they can play for Scotland. They have a right to pursue their potential on the international stage. It’s selfish and greedy to expect otherwise from them.

previous post: Newcastle Pursue Top Belgium Star