Barton Doesn’t Deserve Support Of Newcastle Fans

Joey Barton just doesn’t deserve the support he’s received from the faithful Newcastle fans, since he’s been on Tyneside.

Joey Barton – I don’t deserve fans’ support

And that’s not what we think, it’s what Joey Barton has said today, as he’s talked about the terrific fans on Tyneside, and how he loves Newcastle United.

Joey also wants to do his talking on the field, and we think that’s a very good idea.

Here’s what Joey told the Newcastle Journal this morning, and what he feels about the Tyneside club:

“I love Newcastle United.” “The people around the city and the fans have been incredible with me. I really appreciate it,”

“I don’t deserve it with some of the things I’ve been up to since I signed for Newcastle. I don’t deserve that backing but, for whatever reason, I’ve got it and I’m determined to repay them,”

“I have a lot to prove to a lot of people who have stuck by me at this football club and in this region. That responsibility is not wasted on me.”

“People think I take that support for granted, but I don’t.” “I know that people have criticized me – and rightly so – and I know some people have stood by me. But I’m determined. I want to be part of this football club.”

And Joey also feels that he has talked too much in the past, and the time for too many interviews is over, and he just wants to do the job for the club on the field of play.

Sounds good to us.

Joey continued:

“I think people are sick of hearing me talk and babble on. I think they just want to see me do it,”“I wasn’t going to speak after the Hartlepool game but you took the time and effort to come down to see me, so I feel it’s only fair that I do.”

“I just want to play football – I just want to be part of this football club. It’s good times (for Newcastle) but I know it’s going to be a long, hard road this season and next season and the season beyond.”

“A lot of the stuff that goes with me is off the pitch. I just want to concentrate on the pitch – I want to be judged on the pitch. I think it’s well-documented that my life has had ups and downs but there are a lot of players going through it now and I can sort of relate to it.”

“It actually brings back a lot of bad memories for me and confirms my belief in what I’m doing to address certain things in my life.”

Joey has not been heard from too much, since he injured his foot last September and finally had the operation in early October.

In his absence, the Newcastle club has done tremendously well this season so far – almost the exact opposite of what Newcastle fans had to endure last season.

Whoops, I just got a pain in my arm just thinking about last season – it was awful and that’s a huge understatement.

Joey is now pushing to be in the Newcastle squad, maybe for tomorrow’s game at Bristol City, but the news is that Chris Hughton wants to make sure Joey is fully recovered from his foot injury,  before he brings him back.

But we’re sure we’ll see Joey back playing before the end of the season, but let’s hope he doesn’t get injured again.

He could be a big player for us next season, if we can indeed make it back to the Premiership.

• tobes

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Joey Barton should be sold at the end of the year. Fact. His legs are almost as brittle as Owen’s and so he won’t last the distance if we get promoted. Fact. Sell now while there is a tendon or two still attached and buy O’Hara on the cheap and pay him half Joey’s wage. Winner.

• Purely Belter

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM

i agree rafa (tobes)

• Davies

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Maybe, but it doesn’t make it any less annoying when people spout opinion and then put FACT on the end as if they’ve scientifically researched their opinion based statement.

Barton could be an importany player for us next season and we’re already stuck with his wages. Don’t go wishing him away just because you don’t like him.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I think if comes back and show’s us what he is made of all shall be forgiven…I admit we have not see the best of Barton hopefully he will come back and silence the doubters.

• toongloom

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I wouldnt be sad if joey left, he has had too many chances and threw them back at the clubs/supporters. The problem is no1 really wants him, if he can ship him out then should deffo go for it. hes a waste of space!!

• listie

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM

If we get promoted, we will be looking to buy bargins, so we need someone like Barton. For what we could sell hom for, we would not be able to get a replacement as good.
    Barton at his best, I know we have seen that for years, but at his best he was and could be a massively important player for us if we are in the EPL

• tobes

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Davies, Hughton is building a young squad with pace. It is also clear that he is building the squad around a core group of players. Barton doesn’t fit into this scenario. He has not impressed since his move from Man City and has been injured on and off for two years. FACT. Scientific research aside, I use FACT in a satirical fashion so as to mimic some of the Premier Leagues finest for humourous affect. Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour and yet it flew right over your head. Time to go back to school buddy.

• geoff777

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Leave the lad alone.
    I’m sick of these “Barton” stories that pop up on quiet news days.
    He’s easily our best player so why would we sell him?
    I hope he gets a good run in the team to the end of the season.

The Journal prints a story and six NUFC blogs reproduce it …

Quality rather than quantity please ED.

• Sav

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Easily our best player…..?
    Its not JB who has us top of the table and I’ve yet to see an outstanding performance from him in black and white.
    He could start to repay the club by taking a wage cut. Players like Barton (middle-of-the-road) getting 60k every week is an anachronism in the current climate. We could get two players just as good for that money, so if there were anyone out there to give us our money back on JB, I’d say ‘take it’.

Failing that, less talk and more walk.

• boater

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Sav.. he was outstanding against Villa at home last season – no to mention the KK run in with him, butt and geremi in the engine room.

Looking at the bigger picture, our best asset at the moment is the squad harmony as I keep saying, I don’t think that ostracizing him is the answer either, let him earn his place like anyone else, although from here to the end of the season it begs the question of who will be dropped – I would hate for guthrie to be the fall guy.

• ebol

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I reckon we should keep him too.

Although there is a significant risk he’ll get injured again, he is proven Premier League quality and we may struggle next year in central midfield with our current players – they are good, but not top class (though if Guthrie keeps improving…)

Plus, no one will buy Barton for any reasonable price until he proves himself as a player again – he’s too much of a discipline and injury risk and would be an unpopular signing with fans. Athough many want him gone, it makes sense to give him some game time first in order to up his value before selling.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Spot on Tobes,

The guy never plays more than 3 games in a row FACT !!!!! Apart from anything else, he is just never fit and makes Owen and Viduka look like ever-presents on his 60K a week. !

Barton certainly talks the talk, but we need to move on from him now.

We certainly haven’t missed him and yet people still say he will do this that and the other. When will that ever be exactly?

Cut our losses and get Skeljbred.

• Alan

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Hi people posted the game preview for Saturday’s game on nufc-blog.co.uk

Wrote by a new writer so please leave some feedback and join in the discussion taking place, look forward to hearing from you

toon toon black and white army!

• Ollieh51

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I have to say, the statement that we haven’t missed him is simply not true. When I say him, I do refer to the Joey ‘Bartoon’ whilst at City that unfortunatelley we still haven’t seen.

With Nolan looking like he needs a bit of a rest, Butt like my nan’s three leggeged polio ridden poodle could do a better job and Smudge still just not cutting it, I’d be really interested to see what a ‘fresh’ player will bring to the squad.

However, Guthrie has been a different class this season and I fear that Houghton will now look to play him out wide again even though he is evidently No, FACTUALLY our most creative player when played in the centre! I would hate to see him frozen out to accommodate Bartoon without him proving himself first, but then again, we need to build a quality squad. Not just first team…

• Robby Bobson

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

tobes…putting FACT after your opinion doesnt make it FACT.

To be fair if hes wearing the black and white (or yellow) hes got my support…as long he gives his all.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I agree with Robby Bobson…if he is wearing the black and white im backing him. The one thing about Joey Barton is he plays with emotion and he gives everything he has on the pitch. At the end of the day thats all we can ask of our players is to show some heart and give it all they got…

Howay the Lads!!!

• chuck

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Would i trade him for O`Hara, hmmm maybe.
    Joey has got talent but appears a bit brittle, when it comes to injuries.
    We are also aware of his history as a bit of a sociopath, has he changed, seen the light, etc.
    Hey they all talk the talk, kiss the badge, then feck off if given a better opportunity.
    Just business folks.