Jose Enrique In Love With Newcastle

It’s a bit of a cliche yes, but Newcastle always seem to have a better team when the players are at Newcastle because they love the club and the City, and want to be there.

Jose Enrique – loves the Newcastle club and City

And enter exhibit A – Jose Enrique, who has waxed lyrical about Newcastle, both the club and the City today, and not for the first time,  in the Newcastle Journal.

This is what Jose said:

“I know it will be difficult for us to win something. I would like that very much, but the biggest thing for me is to enjoy playing football and to be happy.”

“I have that at Newcastle and I don’t want to let that go. I could stay here for the rest of my career because of the warmth I feel. It is unbelievable when the fans sing my name, you know you are playing well when that happens.”

“I want to play well for the fans and the club. I say thank you all the time. To come over from Spain and to be so liked by the people here. It makes me very proud.

“The fans in England are very different to Spain. The fans love football here. Spain is a good league, but all the Spanish players prefer playing here I think. I want to stay here, I don’t want to go back to Spain.”

“I’m so happy I decided to stay at Newcastle in the summer,”

“I know we are only in the Championship, but I love the city and the club. All the foreign players hate the weather here, but it’s not just Newcastle, it’s England.”

“I’m really settled here and I have no desire to go back to Spain. I’m happy at Newcastle, in England and in this team.”

“In my three seasons here I know the fans like me and I love that. That is more important for me than anything else, more important than trophies and cups.”

Jose Enrique made his second comeback in as many weeks on Wednesday night in the 3-0 demolition of Scunthorpe,  but this time the lad lasted the whole game, and he’s a very good full-back.

Since he first arrived back in the summer of 2007, when Sam Allardyce was manager, he has improved every season, and we expect nothing less next season, if the lads do win promotion, which now looks likely.

Jose has added to the team spirit at Newcastle this year, and one reason the fans love the player, is that he always gives 100% and has formed a terrific relationship out on the left wing with Jonas Gutierrez.

Jose was also one of the few players last season who did his very best for the club, but was injured too much during the season.

It’s just great having this player at Newcastle, and the fans love him too, so the feeling is mutual.

• Purely Belter

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM

good to hear from jose…

maybe he should ask some of his mates from spain to come play for us!

• ToOn_26

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:35 AM

a legend in the making!

• T00nt00n

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Its about time we found a good Spaniard at the Toon, Makes up for the previous Spanish wasters. Jose is pure class and we should tie him up for another 5 years.

• TORONTOON

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM

agreed, ToOn_26

• Davies

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

HA! I love to say I told you so. He got a lot of slagging off in his first season, especially on here, but I knew he’d come good.

Nice to know he’s happy to spend his career here.

• Sav

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I slagged him. But what can you say about the lad’s attitude except ‘great!’?

• ebol

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Look at the difference between this season and last season.

Last season, none of the players showed any desire to be at Newcastle.

This season, they are all coming out saying how much they are enjoying themselves here.

First of all, fair play to Hughton – his role in this can’t be overstated. Also, it’s clear winning makes players enjoy themselves. For this reason, this is definitely a positive of getting relegated. In fact, it’s been a fair few seasons since Newcastle players have seemed to want to play for the club. Relegation may even be viewed as a positive in the long run as it brought about a shift in player attitudes and started a renaissance in Newcastle’s fortunes that may result in the club becoming a top five side again.

• Robby Bobson

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

ebol…did you see Enriques frustration getting injured during the Pompey game…that was the most passion i had seen all season…which is kinda sad yer. But it was good to see him frustrated he couldnt be in the fight.

In the first few seasons he made a few silly mistakes which always seemed to get punished and despite being called the bull he needed to beef up.

Now he is one of our strongest players and quickest and is just unbeatable one on one.

He just needs his first goal to make the season. In a comfortable game, maybe when we have been promoted, give him the ball for penalty kick.