Joey Barton Looked Good When He Came On Last Night

Another important event happened during the terrific win by Newcastle United  at Doncaster Rovers last night.

Joey Barton – got a good 16 minute run-out last night

That was the return of Joey Barton to the first team, as he came on for young Danny Guthrie after 74 minutes last night.

And it appears that manager Chris Hughton was pleased with the second-half contribution of the 27 year-old.

Joey of course has been missing since last September, because of a rather serious  foot injury, but has finally made it back, before the end of  what we hope is a promotion season.

And during the closing stages of last night’s vital game Joey looked very good in the center of Newcastle’s midfield.

After the game Chris was interviewed as usual by Newcastle United TV, and he was asked about Joey’s performance:

“It was nice to see Joey back but more so for him,””It’s a very frustrating time when you’re out and, come the end, you’re chomping at the bit to get back in.”

“We felt it was the right time to bring him on because we needed some fresh legs in there and, of course, Joey’s experience helped.”

“I was delighted to see him back and I thought it was a good contribution when he came on.”

If Joey continues to look good in training then there will be increased competition for the central midfield positions, and if we can get promotion sooner rather than later, then Joey will get more starts towards the end of the season.

But with him looking so good last night he will get more appearances in the upcoming important games, as the Tyneside club attempts to nail down an automatic promotion spot.

• Tom4Nufc

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM

He is the best CM at the club and will be vital next season. Guthrie and Barton in midfield I reckon could just about hold their own (assuming promotion is on the cards)… Thoughts?

• AngerOfTheNorth

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Those two would be great together going forward, but would they offer enough support to the defence? That’s my only worry. If they could track back enough and break up the opposition’s attacks, then I’d happily go for these two in midfield.

• Tom4Nufc

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I think they would be fine… Guthrie’s work rate is tireless and Joey can play DM very well, I remember a few years back, Keegan era when we beat Spurs 4-1 and Joey was class at DM as he can tackle well but also pick a pass.

• geoff777

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Agreed Joey is easily our best CM.
    Great to see him back.

Foot injuries are not fun and to have three in a short space of time.

• nightfa11

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

great..our best midfielder & our best striker are f***** retards. ;D

• Sav

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I thought you only supported paragons of virtue, Anger of the North?

• Uchiha_Itachi

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:38 PM

On the basis of this season I can see Chris continuing to approach home and away games differently if and when we return to the premiership. At home I would expect us to go for it every time and given our current squad its hard to argue against a Guthrie and Barton partnership looking the most attacking.

Saying this though I expect there will be a number of departures and arrivals during the summer making winning the championship that much more important. We need to continue to send a message that this club is stable, with a manager that can clearly handle a group of players with dignity and professionalism.

With Barton I have to be honest when I say I’ve often spoken out about him as a negative as well as being part of a culture within the club we have been desperate to shed since Bobby’s tenure ended. Bottom line now is I cant be critical of a man who is committed to his training, football and can genuinely be an asset to this club assuming he can keep his personal life on track.

• Whumpie

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:38 PM

“our best CM”? Based on what? I’m not saying Joey hasn’t got a chance of BECOMING our best but he’s done nowt since joining to justify this blind loyalty.

Guthrie has put in several top performances for us and until Barton does the same he is down the queue for me.

• Robby Bobson

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Just needs to stay fit and not loose it like he did again liverpool again.

Would Barton have gone down without any fight against Villa…probably not but he was suspended cus of his stupiditiy.

• magpie6699

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Whumpie – agree! Can never understand all those who go on about how great he is. Apart from being mostly injured or in jail, he has had very few effective games for us when he HAS played. He USED to be a good player for City – is he still? I don’t know. He’s got a lot to do to convince me yet.

• wsquare

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I strongly believe given the chance to offload him, Newcastle United should take it. Just too much of a liability to be reliable. We can get the same returns with less risk with other players.

• chuck

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Dont see them as playing together, too similar, but Guthrie as a bench player who could sub for Joey would work.

• Ketsbaia

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM

“But with him looking so good last night he will get more appearances…”

Did you see any of the game? He was awful when he came on… And it wasn’t just me, read any of the reports of the game in the press and they will say the same thing…

I’m not blaming him given that he has been out for ages and was jeered everytime he touched the ball but let’s not get carried away.

He has done nothing in his time here except get in trouble on and off the pitch and has shown none of the ability he showed at Man City.

However he has done his time and he has been making all the right noises about being a changed man in the numerous interviews he has been giving.

If he genuinely has learned from his mistakes and gets his head down and starts performing on the field then all credit to him.

But let’s not start campaigning for a starting position based on the form he showed a number of years ago at another club. He needs to earn his spot in the team as well as the respect of his team mates and the fans.

• budmon

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Nolan is the best CM we have for sure, he’s proved that year in and out, including this year. 13 or 14 goals!? thats impressive for any league and he’s not done yet. he’s versatile and does the basics extremely well. I think he’s one of the main reasons Guthrie is coming along so well. defensively he forces play in one direction and gives opposing CM little time to play. Barton can be good but has he proved that in the past 3 seasons? NO, but the future looks good with Guthrie developing well and Barton not doing time. Still think we need at least a one creative CM in the summer to cope with the Prem

• NUFC5_MUFC0

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Nolan has always scored goals, but the problem with him is that he’s not a ball playing midfielder. He can’t run a game from central midfield and score goals like a Lampard. With Nolan in midfield we will never have much possession which we have seen time and again this season even in the CCC. I think a CM needs to get on the ball especially if playing with Smith who can only tackle. I think Nolan’s best position is just off the striker in a 4-5-1. I would play Smith and Guthrie away and try Guthrie and Barton at home in CM.

• Davies

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Guthrie and whoever for central midfield. Depends where we play, but I’d have little Danny in our starting 11 every time. If Barton EARNS his place next to him then I’ll be happy to see them both play every game. Otherwise the central partnership has to be based on form in training before each match.