West Brom Win And Keep Pressure On Newcastle

West Brom had a decent 1-0 win at home tonight against Coventry City at the Hawthorns, and stay just two points behind leaders Newcastle United.

Steven Reid – scored West Brom’s winner tonight.

The only goal of the game was scored after just 22 minutes by Steven Reid, who is on loan at West Brom from Blackburn Rovers.

The 3 points puts West Brom on 78 points from 39 games, just two points behind Newcastle, who have a game in hand and a better goal difference.

Nottingham Forest are on 70 points from 39 games but the 4th placed side, Leicester City are on just 61 points, after being beaten at home 2-1 by the ever improving Reading side.

Newcastle must still visit Reading on 13th April, so hopefully automatic promotion will already be ours by that time and we’ll just need the win to ensure we finish top of the league. 😀

But with only 3 teams in it for the top two spots, a win for Newcastle next Monday night against Forest at St. James’ Park could almost guarantee that Newcastle clinch a promotion spot.

Then we need to win the Championship.

Howay The Lads!!

• IrishMan

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM

If we beat Forest on Monday night, then I think promotion is assured. However I think it is going to be a dog eat dog fight for the title. It would be nice to win a trophy though. Besides, I have a 50 euro bet on Newcastle to win title at 4 to 1 from start of season….

• Geordiedoonsooth

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM

We need 11 points to win promotion (only 4 if we beat Forest next Monday) & 19 points from 24 to win the league if West Brom win all their remaining games.

• iluvnufc

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Play off spot now guaranteed! lol

• wsquare

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM

can we just stay in the championship despite winning the league? the championship is providing just the right amount of challenge. its true im not indenial. we’ll just suffer in the premiership.

• BeeGuy

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Saw former loanee, VanA playing for Chelsea this PM. Looked like he fit right in there as he did here. Just gets a little out of position & relies on some cover from his mates.
    Too bad Pompey is going down, I believe we could have had a double on them next year.

wsquare: I think we would all get bored staying in the Championship. All we do here is win, win, win with the odd draw thrown in. HWTL.

• NewcastleMole

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Agreed wsquare

Big changes are need for them prem and Ashley just inst the man to make them he’ll pocket the TV/Sponsor money & sell up imo.

Or worse he’ll stay and we’ll go back down.

• NUFC5_MUFC0

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM

I’d take a draw against Forest now. The main priority is not to get beat. A draw and we will still be 10 points clear with one less set of games to play.

• will die for the toon army

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM

Guys why do u all think we will jst get beaten in the EPL. I look at Birmingham and Fulham and I see teams with average players playing well in The EPL.

What do expect of a team with more supporters and financial backing. I know we will not be able to bring in big money signing that means 10m and above. What I know MA can handle 10m and below signings. I know last season is a season to forget. I have hope in this team and i know we will fair well in the EPL. Top half finish and I mean that.

• spiderpig

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:11 AM

just read that portsmouth can sell players to ease their debt outside the window,but the players sold wont be able to play for another prem team this season.might be worth a punt on a couple of their better players.you could maybe run an article on it ed.

• Tom Mo.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM

itd be perfect for us, in my opinion. only one or two though. cant mess too much with our dressing room right now….yeah i know it seems so tight and all these days after the carroll taylor bust up…but besides them I think it is pretty tightly knit.

• Captain Beefheart

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM

NUFC5, I agree a draw would be OK for once so no heads down or stupid punts up field if its 1-1 with 10 mins to go. This is a tactical match that only Forest need to win, we DON’T!

WBA run in:
    A Reading, Watford, Doncaster, Crystal Palace.
    H Leicester City, Middlesbrough, Barnsley

Not the hardest set of games? So allowing for an unexpected away loss and a nailed on draw against Leicester they could well return 16 points. This leaves them on 94 points

By comparison Forest have it a wee bit tougher:
    A Newcastle, Bristol City , Blackpool, Scunthorpe
    H Cardiff City, Ipswich Town, Plymouth

Even with a draw against NUFC I can only see them returning a maximum of 12 points out of this lot. Leaving them on 82 points. Even if they manage another win they are still way off the pace on 85.

As it looked several weeks back, 96 points is increasingly the magic number that will clinch the silverware. I suspect the WBA will really fancy their chances of nicking it, we cannot let this happen!

5 wins on top the draw with Forest (and that allows for a single defeat as well) = 96 points!

• Captain Beefheart

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:40 AM

A draw is fine, as long as we win 5 of the remaining. WBA have a cushy run in, Forest have a very, very tricky one! We are now playing for the top spot, which is as it should be.

• Charlietoon

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I dont know much about the portsmouth team but the only to come close to my fantasy team are O’hara and Belhadji. I think Belhadji is a left back which would be great as he has chipped in with a few goals and assists for portsmouth this season. I seem to remember reading an article about him having tickets on himself though and we dont want any attitudes in the team. There is enough already.

• chris6033

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:32 AM

what about Tommy Smith from pompey? might be a welcomed addition,?

• Bucks mag

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

S’all about K P Boateng.

• StaffsToon

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:18 AM

The one thing we will have next year in the Prem (thats right, didnt say ‘if’) is a team, not several individuals we r hoping can pull out somethin special. The spirit n endeavour (pref without the boxing lessons please AC) we have now mixed with i reckon 3 signings n we will be fine! HWTL!!