Carroll Touch And Go For Peterborough Game

Andy Carroll had to leave the game last night, early in the second half, with an injured ankle.

Andy Carroll – injured his ankle last night

And Hughton feels the 16-goal top scorers is only touch and go for the clash with bottom placed Peterborough on Saturday afternoon.

Chris told the Evening Chronicle today:

“He’s just rocked his ankle. He’s done that in the past, and he has recovered, so I don’t expect it to be too serious.”

“We’ll assess that one this week .” “At this moment, I don’t know about Peterborough.”

But after last night’s great sub appearance, 28 year-old Shola Ameobi will be pushing for a starting place on Saturday, and with all players now available except Steven Taylor, Chris may change the side around to both give players a game, and keep the team fresh.

Chris continued:

“Shola came up trumps.” “It’s no surprise – he’s an excellent finisher.”

“It’s disappointing for us and for him that he’s missed out on so much football this season.”

“I’m quite sure, if he had played the games the others have, he would be right up with them in the goalscoring stakes.”

A starting front two on Saturday of Ameobi and Lovenkrands might just be the ticket, with Shola anxious to get back on the goals track, after missing out  since January with his hamstring injury.

Shola has 9 goals so far this season and that’s with just 9 starts and 5 sub appearances, and the local lad could get many more before this so successful  season ends on May 2nd.

We hope he does.

• pobstar

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Not to worried about having to start shola instead of Carrol as I think his experience could come in handy in the run in. AC could learn a thing or two from Shola attitude wise. Always in Shearer shadow but kept his head down and arse up and plugged away. Shame about the injury or I think he would be on 20+ now. He’s always been a confidence player and this season could be his making

• Thump

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I agree, pobstar.

• DJG

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM

No reason to rush Carroll back and risk a further problem, especially against the bottom club when Ameobi has trained for two weeks and looking a cut above.

• DJG

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I like Carroll but I think Ameobi has that ability to set someone else into play whereas Carroll doesn’t seem to be able to get the ball out from his feet in time. Probably comes down to experience. The thing about Shola is that he is able to produce both wonderful skill and insanely bad control and we don’t ever know which it’s going to be.

• The Entertainers

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I cant see CH risking Carroll against Posh with Shola making a spectacular return the the first team.

Would like to see Ranger back on the bench, all that Best has done since his arrival is hinder the young lads progression. Best may benefit from a game in the stiffs.

That said CH is a manager who sticks by his players and Best will be on the bench.

Hopes for the remainder of the season.

*Go up as Champions
    * 100 plus points
    * Carroll to claim top scorer in the league
    * Best to score a goal.

• geordielad880

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM

so many of our fans think we will stuff sunderland next season if we get promoted, i think we will struggle badly in the prem with the players we have now, and we wont spend alot of money, we will need some really good signings if we are to have a good chance of staying up. Assuming the teams that are in the bottom 3 in prem at the minute go down, who do you think we are better than other than them 3?? I would say we would be on par with blackburn, very similar style and players.

I think hughton deserves his chance in the top flight, and any fans that think he should be replaced are idiots, give him the chance, and if after 10 games or so if he isnt delivering then fair enough.

And also the newcastle target from forest had a really good game last night “perch”, looked a player who could be a really good squad player for us next term, can play left back, right back, and in midfield

• nufc2009

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM

routlage is begining to be my fav player

• Turkish Magpie

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Enrique has been mine since Emre left 😉

• OHurley

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Turk-

Yeah, I wish Emre could have done a little better for us, as he’s class and I always respected him. The other Emre on Turkey’s national side is good too.

• OHurley

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Geordielad-

I dunno, m8. I think our current squad is right now capable of finishing mid table in the Prem. We’ve got so much desire and confidence right now. And a manager who’s finally got the lads playing together with heart and spirit and for each other. That’s something I barely see in the top flight. I think we could nick it reet proper like. With a few class signings (like Routledge), we’ll be a force to be reckoned with.

• geordielad880

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I said as soon as we got relegated, we needed to sign players like routledge, but i dont think he is good enough to start in the premiership if we are looking to finish above mid table, I would like to see newcastle sign pennant. Emre was a class player, just injured far too often. I think williamson is proving to be a brilliant signing, the best part of his game, is his reading of the game and organisation, much better in my opinion that s.taylor, If taylor stays, which i dont think he will do, he should play right back. I wonder if newcastle could maybe get curtis davies from villa on loan or for a fee of less than £4 million??

• balubas1

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM

OHurley: spot on.

as I have mentioned in another post, confidence is of great importance. The psycological effect of winning almost every game, and also that the squad gets a closer connection on the pitch might be decisive when playing sides in the Prem. I just hope they can take this confidence with them for the next season. 2 or 3 wins in the beginning of the next season and its game on!

a bit optimistic and far ahead, but hey….

• ginkoh

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM

If possible, I would like to see Smith play up front again. It’ll be awesome if he can score his first goal for black and white shirt this season. I really hope for him. When we get penalty, why we shouldn’t give Smith chance to score ? (Let’s see Makelele at Chelsea)

• geordielad880

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I think if we are stuggling for funds, out of the higher paid players I would sell smith, doesnt really offer much in the premiership as a holding midfielder, the game is too quick for him. We will save quite abit in wages when butt leaves aswell, and i cant see xisco returning to newcastle after his comments on faking injury to get out of the toon

• Thump

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I’d say Smudge and R. Taylor to be sold, if I’m honest. The lack of pace in both of them is a major concern to me, and as good as R. Taylor is with set pieces we still have Guthrie, Nolan and Barton to stand up in his place (three players I’d sooner see get game time, if I’m honest).

• NUFC5_MUFC0

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Agree with Thump. R Taylor is too slow. S Taylor and Simpson to battle it out for RB. VA as cover for Enrique.

• NUFCELITE

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:11 AM

We got shola back we will be ok for peterboro.