Enrique Says Hughton Is The Best Manager He’s Ever Had

A really good interview in the Journal this morning with Spanish Geordie Jose Enrique, who is currently still in Newcastle heaven after scoring his first ever goal for the Tyneside club on Monday night.

Jose Enrique – attacked by Gutierrez after scoring

Jose’s celebration showed what it meant to him, and also what it meant to the other Newcastle players. These lads are really together, and the only thing that concerned us was when Gutierrez attacked him from behind.

And Chris Hughton’s reaction to the goal was also interesting – he went crazy for all of 5 seconds (we counted),  before settling down and getting himself completely under control again. 😀

But those 5 seconds show us how driven Chris Hughton is to be a success at Newcastle and for Newcastle.

This man may be a lot better than we had first thought, although the PL next season will be one huge test of his real management abilities.

It’s interesting that Jose Enrique has come out today and praised Newcastle manager Chris Hughton, because we remember early last season when Jose said Chris was a good coach but he was no manager.

That was shortly after Chris had been appointed as the caretaker manager after Kevin Keegan left under terrible circumstances at the Newcastle club.

Newcastle went 5 games on the trot with defeats, including that one to Hull City at home, as we recall.

This is what Jose has said today about Chris, the unlikely Newcastle manager:

“A lot of credit has to go to him, very much so,”

“He has had a long career as a coach but this is the first time he has had the opportunity to be the boss and I think he has proved what a good one he is.”

“Before, he was always a number two or number three but now he is in charge 100 per cent. I don’t have to say how good he is because the league table tells you that.

“For me, in my personal opinion, he is the best manager I have ever had here.” “This is my third season at Newcastle and he is the best.”

Since Jose has been at the club he’s been managed by Sam Allardyce, who signed him from Villareal, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan  Shearer and Chris.

So that’s a great compliment from  Jose.

Now the lads will need to all pull together next season to ensure we don’t have a relegation fight on our hands, but we now know, at the very least,  the lads are now able to scrap and fight it out with any team in the PL.

That’s one of the things that was sadly missing last season, when we were relegated.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM

my favourite player. was hilarious when jonas tried feeding him grass, i sky plussed the game as i knew it would be a classic, and i slow motioned the celebration, when they were all peeling from the bundle, you see jonas feeding him grass. haha

• peterktoon

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Geordie-Gerrard7 I have seen the video Jose scores and his celebrations and also read about Jonas putting grass in his mouth. But those videos I have seen just dont show it..

Think you can help me with a better link :)?

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM

i only have it recorded on my sky mate, its when there all getting off, it must be blindingly obvious because it was my missus that noticed it

• AngerOfTheNorth

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Yup – I’d love to see that!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:53 PM

91.03 is the exact time jonas puts the grass in his mouth lads

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:51 AM

Tell ya what boys, this team is the polar opposite of the squad we had on the pitch last season. Last season we had a bunch of overpaid Tin men (no heart) who didn’t have the brass for a dogfight to stay up. This season the lads we got in the pitch look though they’re itching for a fight. They play with guts and heart out there. The Gaffer and the players our playing with their emotions on ther sleeves. They are fighting for each other and we can keep this up going into next season staying up won’t be a proble. This is F-ing Newcastle United we belong in the top half of the premier league every season. We got a gaffer who is running a smart and effective ship, and as much as i hate mike ashley for gutting ourclub and its history last year he has done alot of good things this season for the club…..

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Sgt. Heagerty Once hate ashley myself,now i think the fella is the right man club.Like his tactics of bring in good kids and making them in stars ourselves.I don’t think pompey is the only premiership club that’s going to implode on itself,i think there may be a few more very shortly.Newcastle is being run like a proper business now,and i think the futures very bright for us toon fans.