There’s a lot of work for the Newcastle club to do this summer, so the Tyneside club is fully prepared for re-entry into the Premiership.
Mike Ashley – we expect him to again support Hughton this summer
These are some of the things that both need to be done, and some things we hope will happen, that will hopefully result in the Newcastle team being able to hold their own next season in the Premier League, without being in another relegation fight.
That’s the very last thing we want to experience again next season.
Here’s some things the club will be pondering:
- We expect the following players to leave in the summer – Fabrice Pancrate, Nicky Butt (retires), Fitz Hall, Kazenga LuaLua and we would expect at least four permanent new players to be signed this summer and two younger players to be secured on a season long loan.
Exactly who Newcastle bring in will tell us just how ambitious Mike Ashley will be for next season. As far as transfer cash goes, we don’t expect there to be more than £20M made available – if that. In fact we’d be surprised if that much was made available, and Newcastle will again concentrate on bringing in some bargain buys, like we did in January/.
- It seems the positions we need to strengthen are full back, central midfield, winger and striker, and as the summer comes we’ll get more into what players Newcastle can potentially recruit.
- As far as the strikers are concerned we have 5 of them – Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Best and Ranger – but we wonder if there is enough quality there. Hopefully Nile Ranger and Andy Carroll with again both improve big time next season – but Leon Best has been disappointing since he was brought in last January, although we expect Lovenkrands to be a shining light again next season for us.
- A big unknown of course is whether Chris Hughton will be up to managing against England’s top teams and managers. Chris has been just great this season, but in the two periods he managed the side last season he had just one win, and it was hardly much of a record. But Chris will be given the chance next season, that’s a certainty and we have to hope with the new fight and passion in the team, we can get the results we need.
- If Newcastle are to be successful next season we will need to have both Andy Carroll and Steven Taylor both pulling together for their home-town club, and if would be daft to sell either player this summer – it should not be necessary and both players want to stay on Tyneside in any case.
- We hope that some of our top youngster players like Tamas Kadar, Nile Ranger, Andy Carroll, Danny Guthrie and maybe even Haris Vuckic can come through next season, and if they improve as much as they have this season, we’ll be in good shape.
- One way in which Chris can get some class into the side is by signing a couple of younger players on loan for the full season from the top clubs. These younger players will not have the experience, but players like Jack Wilshere, Patrick van Aanholt and others can increase the quality and creativity of the Newcastle squad. But we’ll need to play whoever we bring in regularly, since that’s what their parents clubs will want, otherwise it’s of no benefit to the parent club or the young player.
Those are some of the things we were thinking about – your comments on this are very welcome – but the squad must be improved big time in the summer.