Hughton Emotionally Overwhelmed As Promotion Becomes Real

Chris Hughton keeps a very close check on his emotions, but there were cracks that appeared last night, as he at times seemed emotionally overwhelmed by the moment, as 48,000 Geordies partied at St. James’ Park.

Chris Hughton embraced by Coloccini last night

After the game Chris talked and admitted to it being an emotional time:

“It was emotional out there in the center circle,” “We have worked towards this a long time. We were in a good position but until it finally happens the realisation sinks in. It has now and it is a wonderful achievement by a lot of people.”

“I wasn’t crying! I am not the most emotional person, but it was emotional for me! Yes, Mike Ashley was down in the changing room. It was chaotic but I spoke to him briefly.”

“He said congratulations and enjoy it – it is certainly the kind of thing we are in the game for. This is up there with any achievement I’ve had in the game. I have coached at Spurs when we have won things but this is my first achievement as a manager. It is a proud achievement.

“I never take the plaudits personally. I manage a football club. Anything heading towards me is for the team. It is the team who have got us promoted and the way they have done it, through highs and lows. It is nice to hear your name.”

“We have a good squad, we kept a lot of players from last season. The players we had made a decision was to take this team back to the Premier League. Then we went about our business.”

“We have had toughness to grind out results in periods we have not played our best. Later in the season we have come here and won and scored goals.”

“At this moment we deserve to be in the Premier League. We didn’t season. The position didn’t lie. But this club certainly deserves to be there now.”

“Aims next season? I can’t think about that at this moment. We have five games left. We want to win the championship now. That is our target.”

“I will be celebrating – it might be stronger than a coffee tonight! And lots of it.”

It’s good to hear that Chris did have more than his hot cup of coffee last night, because he has done a magnificent job for the club this season, and in retrospect it came fairly easily.

But that was due to the preparation and thoroughness of Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood for every single game this season.

They are unlikely heroes on Tyneside, but heroes they are, and will now go down in the history of this great football club.

Howay The Lads!!

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I see the doom & gloom mongers are at it already, some dumb arse on Talksport this morning saying there are only 3 players in our squad good enough for the PL, Harper, Enrique & Nolan & that unless we spend £100m we will go straight back down. For a start I think S Taylor, Gutherie & Carroll can amke it in the PL & while I agree we need strengthening I think the current squad is as good as the squads at Birmingham, Sunderland, Stoke, Wigan and Wolves & better than West Ham, West Brom & Nottingham Forest (should they come up) so I think we will survive.
    I do think we need to sign at least 1 defender 2 midfield players & a top forward. For the moment though let’s just enjoy the promotion & win our last 5 games to win the Championship.

• richietoon

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Of course we need to strengthen but I agree with GeordieDS,how many players would we take from anyone of those clubs mentioned compared to how many they’d take from ours?……..and on another note to the 2 tits who sit behind me every week,move seats for next season or even better don’t come at all(as I told you last night,but not so politely)…….they booed at least 3 toon players as the line up was read out pre-match. I don’t rate some players either,criticise yes thats your opinion but booing isn’t an opinion.It’s a moronic act committed by arseholes and mackems!!

• komfort

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM

geordiedoonsooth , the dumb arse you are referring to is a short armed tube called mike parry….if you take him seriously then your as daft as him…the same bloke reckons race horses should wear wing mirrors !!!!

…anyway i think we only need a £90 mil investment to avoid going straight back doon.

🙂

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM

kamfort it wasn’t Mike Parry he is on holiday this week I switch off when he comes on it was some guy who follows the NorthEast for Talksport on the Alan Brazil show didn’t get his name but I think he may be a Mackem the way he was singing their praises

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Sorry meant Komfort

• komfort

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:39 AM

geordiedoonsooth…parry is on now & the bulls knacker is also claiming £100 million needs to be spent.

..mind talksport does have more than one dick working for them.

• lesh

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Geordie, it was probably Graham Courtney on TalkSport this morning. He reports on NE clubs and is one with ‘authority’ on matters NUFC.

And it was the same he who, on the post-match programme last night, was peddling the story that Hughton would not be with us next season and Shearer’s about to march in!

Bear in mind that station’s part of friend Murdoch’s empire and we all know that the red-tops have no interest in reporting problems at SJP.

Speakin of reporters, Louise Taylor was peddling a line in the Observer on Sunday that CH ain’t up to life in the Prem, he’ll be pushed Ashley’s got someone else lined up and oh, he may well put the club on the market.

Today’s Guardian contains a similar, albeit diluted report form the smae [poison] pen.

• Chris F

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM

honestly lads, just ignore it.

same old crap, different season. Is our squad good enough, as it is, to stay in the premier league next season? Frankly I’d say yes, it probably is.

Does the team need dismantling to help us stay up? does it bollocks. Any idiot who says so needs their head examining, or just plain kicked in.

Left back cover/competition is a must, same for the rightback position too. We still need another creative winger, as Jonas and Routledge are bound to miss a few games. Butt will be off, so another body in central midfield may be needed as well, and a quality striker, proven at prem level is needed too.

It’s not a major overhaul, it’s an expansion on what’s already been put in place that’s needed.

I know he doesn’t really fit the ‘under 26’ transfer model that’s supposedly in place now, but if Robbie Keane is itching to get away from Spurs, I’d be more than happy to see him in black and white come august.

• BT7MAG

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:17 PM

That doom-monger is right, I mean why would 2 Argentina internationals (one of whom is almost certainly going to the World Cup) be able to cut it the Premier League…I mean it’s not like players such as Stephen Carr or Lee Bowyer have been thriving his year…Oh wait…

I also think that Routledge will do well and think he has demonstrated enough skill, speed and passing ability to certainly challenge the teams up to around mid- table, something, we can only really hope to do!