Target Is Now To Win Every Remaining Game This Season

Jonas Gutierrez is already a big fan favorite on Tyneside, and it looks like my son Neil may be right – after saying – when we signed Jonas back in the summer of 2008, he would become a Newcastle Legend.

Jonas Gutierrez – appearing  as Spiderman

Jonas is a certainty to be handed a place in Diego Maradona’s National Argentine squad for this summer’s FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

But Jonas has often said Newcastle is his number one priority this season, and he has now fulfilled his wish of getting the famous Tyneside club back to England’s top division, at the very first time of asking.

Jonas said today:

“At the start of the season we sat together as a team and talked about what we wanted to do,”  “We all said that we had to get back in the Premier League.”

“It has been a long season and at times has been hard, but we have achieved our goal and I am very happy.”

“We now want to finish without losing a game and to win the title – that would be special for me and for the fans.”

“It would be a present for them and would make all of the players very happy if we could do that.”

“That is my next goal but after that, of course, there is the World Cup.”  “It has been my dream since I was a little boy to play in the World Cup for my country and it’s going to be a very exciting time for me.”

“I hope to make the squad because that will hopefully finish off a perfect season.”

It’s now very likely like I will be writing a blog on Argentina for the Daily Telegraph during the World Cup this summer, and am already swatting up on their players.

Yes, and I’ll even give my dossier to Chris – if he requests it. 😀

But of course, I’ll be following Jonas closely, and hopefully Fabricio Coloccini too, hoping he will make the squad – because he certainly deserves to.

And after watching the Barcelona – Arsenal game last night, it will be a treat to cover 22 year-old Lionel Messi, and if he plays like he did last night,  then Argentina may even do well in South Africa, even after struggling to qualify.

Anyway, with the World Cup coming, and Newcastle getting ready to sign some big players (we hope), the summer is going to be very exciting for us all.

What a dramatic difference from last summer.

• BT7MAG

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Congrats on landing that post Ed, not a bad excuse to dedicate all your spare time to football!

With regards to signing players, has anyone else got a bit of a hopeful feeling we’re trying to do as much business as possible before the first Word Cup ball is kicked?

I know it’s all just rumours, but with us supposedly having already talked to Alan Hutton, and that lad Albin (just through what has been leaked) are we finally trying to tie down our targets early?

Just look at the last competition, we were linked to Arda and Arshavin, both have a great tournament and their price tags rose astronomically.

• wsquare

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM

need players to play with jonas.. intricate one twos, ppl who’d run the extra yard to free up some space for him etc. lol

regards
    your resident expert
    lol

• Robby Bobson

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM

OH i know, the toon are up, had the biggest attendances in the whole country some weekends and our lowest attendance is greater than the 23 teams highest attendance….. so lets find some facts to make the toon look bad…

Muppets

• AngerOfTheNorth

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Well done if you land that gig with the Telegraph Ed, great that this site appears to have landed you some profitable work, which is fully deserved. You’ll do a cracking job, I’ve no doubt.

• AngerOfTheNorth

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Robby Bobson – The Express is a rag these days, it’s practically Hello Magazine Daily, with a bit of Daily Mail-style right wing ranting thrown in.

To be honest, it’s a paper that dreams of the day that they can publish a story about how Shearer paid some asylum seekers to kill Princess Diana, but got away with it because of “political correctness gone mad”.

• greekgeordie

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Well done Ed,
    I am off to South Africa too but not as a reporter but as a fan, I will be following my home team Greece and of course in the last group game Greece is playing Argentina, by then Jonas and company will be already qualified and maybe ease off a bit for Greece to joint them in the next phase, I hope Jonas will be man of the match.
    Of course I will try to find time to go and see some England games, and would it be fantastic if final is between England and Argentina?
    Maybe we can have a drink down there

• SuperJoeyBarton

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM

that prick mick dennis from the express wants hanging!! what the hell is his problem, he personifies what is wrong with ruddy southern journalism! look at the state of his pathetic website! http://www.mickdennis.co.uk i reckon i could knock up a better site in an afternoon and iver never even made one before!! ill be using the ‘contact us’ section to give the cockney muppet a piece of my mind!!!how dare he!!

going off on a tangent can we set a points record if we win all of our games??

• NUFCELITE

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Well done on the post ED,dont worry jonas think you already booked on the plane for the world cup,goodluck at the world cup, unless you playing england that is ha ha.