Williamson – It Was A Life-Changing Move To Newcastle

Newcastle’s  Stoke-born center-back Mike Williamson is now celebrating promotion back to the Premiership  with Newcastle United, just over two months after his career seemed to be in the doldrums at Portsmouth.

Mike Williamson – dream come true

Mike talked to Newcastle United TV today:

“I’ve got to thank my lucky stars really and I couldn’t have wished for a better end to the season,”

“It was a frustrating time at Portsmouth and I didn’t know where my future would be, so to be given an opportunity to play my football here and to be part of something special has been a different class.”

“I can only thank Chris Hughton for that and all I want to do is repay my faith by doing the best week-in-week-out for him and the club.”

“We’ve got a title to go for now and I want to play my part in making sure we go up as champions.”   “The one target that I’ve been pushing for my whole career is to play in the Premier League but I’ve never quite got it.”

“I can’t wait now for next season but I’ve got to keep on working hard and make sure that I’m part of the manager’s plans for next season.”

“This has been a life-changing move really and I’m loving every minute of it.”

The 6’4″ defender has played just great for Newcastle in his 11 games,  since the 26 year-old was signed by the Newcastle club in January, from the now bankrupt Portsmouth club.

Mike cost Newcastle just £1M, which still shocks us to think we got him for peanuts.

But the jury is still out on Mike, because we’ll have to wait to see how he’ll fare in the Premiership.

If he’s as good in the PL as he has been in the Championship, then Chris Hughton will have signed another big winner for Newcastle in January.

• BT7MAG

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Yeah 1m is a cracking bit of business and fair play to whoever scouted him out. I think we’ll need more ruthless purchases over the summer, capitalising on the misfortune of those relegated or who just miss out on promotion.

A year ago, if names like Routledge and Williamson had been bandied about, I’m ashamed to say i’d have turned my nose up at the m….As it is, I’m so excited to see which other players Hughton and his team can unearth. Yes, a couple of fancy foreigners wouldn’t go amiss, but Simpson, Williamson, Routledge and in all fairness Hall have all done a sterling job for us and have proved sometimes, the simple, steady englishman is just as good!

• gunnarnufc

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM

It will be interesting to see how he’ll do in the EPL. I think he has what it takes to do quite well, but I guess he’ll never be top class. His style reminds me a bit of a certain Andy O’Brian.

• BT7MAG

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM

gunnarnufc. Yeah, I’m intrigued as well. I agree, I don’t think he’ll ever be fighting it out for England honours, and he is unlikely to be a Champions League player, but we’re not really going to need anyone of that calibre for a long, long time. I think his pace is a worry, but his reading of the game has looked good and he is always willing to put his body on the line and make big blocks/tackles.

He is still a bit rough around the edges, but considering most defenders peak in their late 20’s/early 30’s we’ve got pleanty of time to polish him up!

• Bucks mag

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM

No doubt in my mind he can cut it. Championship CBs do well in the EPL – Roger Johnson is the first to come to mind, he also played for the local team Wycombe Wanderers. Andy Turner, Joleon Lescott, Anton Ferdinand – all started in the Championship, all established EPL CBs.

• DJG

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM

BT7MAG
    ‘. I think his pace is a worry, but his reading of the game has looked good and he is always willing to put his body on the line’

Could say the same about Terry and he is a Chelsea and England player.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Dont think we will have any worrys about this fella steping up,think he will take it all in his stride.