Newcastle Seem Well Rid Of Duff and Owen

There are a number of players who left Newcastle in the summer, who the Tyneside club has simply never missed.

Damien Duff – shown during his terrible 3 years at Newcastle United

One of them, the picture boy of the old Newcastle United was Michael Owen, who was captain last year, but in the final stressful 5 weeks of the season Michael never gave one interview to the press, and found it hard to get his place in the side.

When you have a captain with that attitude, you’re in big trouble – and we were.

And when Newcastle were relegated, he helicoptered out of Newcastle with his family just two days after the stunning defeat at Villa Park, never to be seen again.

He apparently went to work on his dossier to get a new club, and despite playing just 79 games in 4 years on Tyneside with just 30 goals, which cost the Newcastle club £40M in transfer fees and wages, he said he wasn’t really injury prone, after missing more than half his time injured on Tyneside.

And when he signed for Manchester United he then said he’d rather play a bit part for a great club like Manchester United who were winning trophies, than play full time at some other other mediocre club.

Right – that’s it – we rest our case on Owen.

But at least Michael kept his silence on his time at Newcastle, which showed some  class from the now 30 year-old former England  International.

And it appears there are some stories  today that Ireland International Damien Duff was not much better, but when he left the Newcastle club he has not shown the same wisdom that Michael has.

The winger, who is now at Fulham, never played well at Newcastle (but I guess that was the club’s fault), and has recently said that Roy Hodgson, admittedly a wonderful manager,  has given him the spark that he didn’t have at Newcastle.

Damien – a little word in your little ear – it’s one of your jobs to provide your own spark, that’s why Newcastle paid you £60K/week. You’re not a schoolboy any longer.

This is what Damien said :

“It was well documented that my three years at Newcastle didn’t work out so it was a massive move for me to come to Fulham to get my career going again.”

“I knew the gaffer from my Blackburn days so it was always going to be exciting.”  “Working with him has sparked me again – I’ve loved every minute of it and it’s been really enjoyable.

“It’s just what I needed after my three years at Newcastle. It’s been a great season.”

We don’t expect football players to necessarily be anything other than spoiled overpaid brats, given the very false world they live in, but it’s simply not right that Damien should say that’s what he needed after 3 years at Newcastle.

What the heck does that phrase mean?

And Damien has talked before about what a terrible 3 years he had on Tyneside, poor little thing we feel so sorry for him, but we ignored those comments in the interests of keeping things positive, but this lad has gone too far.

We also have a little rule – for mature people in this world – never burn your bridges, and at least show some dignity and class when you leave your employers.

So in the case of an overpaid  footballer who never produced the good on Tyneside,  when you leave your old club, please don’t say anything bad about them, even if you have good reason to.

While he was at Newcastle, Duff only ever said good things about the Tyneside club – but he was one of the players who wanted out last summer, and he moved on, after playing poorly for Newcastle for 3 years, while being paid ridiculously high wages.

By the way, we had a great season up here on Tyneside – but there again we only had mature players playing for the club this season – and only those lads who wanted to be at the club, and were not at St. James’ Park just for the money. Funny how big a difference that made this season.

Finally, Newcastle have saved well over £8M/year in wages by moving out these two particular players last summer – and have me missed them at all?

• chuck

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Duff was injured for a lot of his time at NUFC .
    When fit he played well for the club, more than can be said for Owen who made it clear by his attitude he did`nt give a shit and frequently dissapearede during games .
    Truth be known Duff was only one of a bunch of players wanting out of a club in chaos.
    It should be noted that the so called loyal players were the ones with either high salaries impossible to move on or those no one else wanted at any price.
    I think instead of sniping at players you should look at the reality and get over it.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Think micheal owen will go down in history as newcastle worst signing ever.As for damien if steping down to a little club like fulham from newcastle, is a massive move for him the fellas a idiot what more can i say.

• Tramp

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM

This article is very distasteful and quite cheap if i’m honest.
    First article from you Ed that just hasn’t sat well with me at all.
    I’m guessing it’s just a slow news day.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM

@ NufcElite
    You think it`s a real step down for Duffer.
    Ok,they don`t have a ground or fans like us but they have proved themselves this year.
    must say Hangeland has surprised me as he is a great buy and Duffer is having a screamer of a season.
    We could only wish to have the same affect on the PL next season.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Marty-Toon i would call it a giant step down mate.

• lolly

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Tramp // Apr 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM

This article is very distasteful and quite cheap if i’m honest.
    First article from you Ed that just hasn’t sat well with me at all.
    I’m guessing it’s just a slow news day.

// dont agree with you tramp…. After all the spouting off this mercinary has done ed deserves his right as a loyal fan to be disgruntled…I for one was never a fan of duff …his poor injury record and piss poor performances mean the only thing he should be whinging about is himself!!!…..PS who scored the goal that sent us down at Villa Park????…nuff said!!!!

• Charlietoon

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Seeing as we were on a decline for the entire three years he was at the club I am not surprised by his choice of words.

I am surprised at how bitter you seem ed especially towards players who left us. As the club was being run like crap, the owner was trying to sell up and the manager was the 5th one in 2 years I think they had every right to get the hell out. At the end of the day we would not have wanted to keep paying them in the cc and for all the money these guys have saved us we have still qualified s we have lost nothing.

ITS GOOD FOR US THAT THESE PLAYERS LEFT SO LETS STOP ACTING LIKE WOMEN SCORNED AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT WAS THE BEST THING FOR THEM AND FOR US.

• Charlietoon

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM

That being said I hope Owen never wins a premiership winners medal or any other trophey. Carling cup is too good for him

• nden85

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM

andy carroll isn’t mature

• NUFC5_MUFC0

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Damien Duff was my least favourite player to play for the toon over the last few years. He did nothing in games, couldn’t cross to save his life, didn’t go past anyone, never looked match fit. Nothing of the player he was at Blackburn, Chelsea and now Fulham. He is an experienced international player and should have been a star in our team but N’Zogbia was always better than him. Disgrace in my opinion and I couldn’t believe our luck when Fulham offered what they did. At least when Owen did actually play he scored goals.

• Robby Bobson

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM

I’m sick of hearing from ex players talking like they were the victims of relegation….Duff scored the own goal that sent us down and played many games that season and yet always seems to speak like he is a victim!!!!

At least the players this season are taking responsibility and got us promoted again.

And Ed, the O word should be treated as a swear word on this site. He would play 1 in 5 games, take 1 in 5 chances but when he did he was bigged up as a class player by the media. Those who actually watched his commitmentless crap appearences know better. Nile ranger coming on in the villa game instead of him would have done better.

I know we have been promoted and news is slow until the transfer gossip in the summer, but the less said about former players the better, we have moved on with the committed lot we have now.

Hence why i object strongly to taking Beye back as alot of people i know have mentioned…he isnt getting a game at Villa and Simpson isnt prem quality but why accept him back when the players we have now had to travel to scunthorpe on a cold wet tuesday night whilst beye was sitting cosy on the bench at villa?!

• ginkoh

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:50 AM

The player who don’t want to be here, They should not be here. That’s simple and no doubt, Duff is one of them.

How can I say with our Soap Opera last season. I don’t think anyone can happy about it. But we need the man who honour and respondsible for this club. No more rediculous high-wage merchanery.

• lesh

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM

As I did on the day, I still wonder whether Duff’s own- goal at Villa was deliberate!

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:06 AM

To be fair we had a succession of appallingly mediocre managers after SBR.

However it was cathartic for the club to get rid of these mercenaries and let’s not pretend we haven’t still got a few.

No other club in their right minds would have sanctioned moves for Butt, Smith, Barton and Nolan on over £60k a week each.

The latter 4 may have done ok in the fizzy, but did sweet FA when it really mattered.

• Captain Beefheart

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM

‘We also have a little rule – for mature people in this world – never burn your bridges, and at least show some dignity and class when you leave your employers.’

So employers are all angels, Ed, eh? HA HA!

Everyone has the right to spout, if they didn’t this blog would not be here, would it now? And until Duff scored against WBA back in August and showed that we could compete at Fizzy level I think every Geordie was fearing the worst. For that goal alone DD was crucial to this season. He does not deserve this bile, and as useless as he was at times he wasn’t the worst by a long chalk.

The wee scumbag Micky, on the other hand, gets off too lightly imho..

• marlonisourking

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I hope I’m not the only one who thinks that Duff was a good player for us.

Sure he had his fair share of injuries, but so did our entire squad. I couldn’t believe it when we signed him for £5M from Chelsea, who were taking a £12M loss on him. Ok so he was never as good as his Blackburn/early Chelsea days, but he did a great job for us. I remember him filling in brilliantly at left back during an injury crisis. To be fair he didn’t really hit top form for us until the back end of last season but he did show what a good player he can be. Whether it was a PR stunt or not, he did come out and said he would stay with us for the Championship battle, though I think we did right in selling him as his wages wouldn’t have been justifiable in the league we (for a few more weeks at least) find ourselves in. Heck, they weren’t even justifiable in the Premiership.

The guy’s been class for Fulham this season, I think he and Dempsey (again, when fit) make a really potent midfield combination. It’s good to see him playing in European competitions at a good level.

I don’t like to see players shot down, I can see why Owen gets his stick, it goes without saying, but leave off Duff. I’m pretty sure was just as frustrated with his injury-plagued spell as we all were, whereas Owen didn’t seem too bothered so long as the money kept coming in. Perhaps the management should take a leaf out of my Football Manager book and sign players on low basic wages with high appearance/goal bonuses, just so there’s a bit of an incentive to play like =) Just a thought.

• Ericles

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Well said Lolly!

• alan shearer

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM

damien is doing us a diservice by gifting villa an own goal that cause us to relegate..it is bad of him to not help us promote..but now in turn criticise nufc(read between lines)..what an idiot he is..

• chuck

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I noticed the few anti Duff comments mentioned him being the one responsible for our relegation, due to an own goal.
    Thats ridiculess nonsense.
    And if it were true it was because he was tracking back.
    I `m puzzled by people describing him as not having played well.
    Duff was a player who could play the wing or inside fwd. spot we even had him play as a defender.
    Well the point is moot as he is gone and doing well at Fulham having nine goals under his belt so far this seson.

• chuck

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Have to say it surprises me what a childish approach so many Newcastle fans have about players who leave.
    Folks it`s show business, players are here for the MONEY.
    Sure they will kiss badges and the fans asses with statements about how they love the fans and the club.
    And obviously a certain amount still believe this shit.
    Well it`s time to wise up or grow up, it`s all bullshit.

• AndyMac

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

This thread has the wrong title. “Seem” should be removed and the word “are” inserted.

For those with very short memories let me tell you how many games Duff performed in for us. 1 and that was the West Brom game earlier this season when he knew he was in the shoop window.

I have never seen Duff get to the byline and cross while in a black and white shirt yet now it appears he can do it for fun at Fulham.

However what really gets right up my nose is his assertion that after three years he suddenly decided that NUFC was not the place to be. What took you so long you spineless Irish git ?

Yes EMO was a complete waste of money but Duff wasnt far behind in terms of not delivering bang for buck. Oh and who sanctioned the purchase of both these fine players ? Another waste of space who, hopefully, will never show his fat face in St James again : (