Birmingham Interested In Rangers’ Kris Boyd – Are Newcastle?

In looking around today on who may be a free agent in the summer, one of the players we were said to be interested in January, Kris Boyd of Glasgow Rangers, has a contract that runs out at the Scottish club next month.

Kris Boyd – set to join former manager at Birmingham?

In looking at Kris’ position it looks initially like he is likely to resign for a successful Rangers side, and here’s what the player said recently, regarding his potential extension to his existing contract:

“I’m sure the contract will be sorted in the near future.” “I’m not being distracted by it.”

“The club and my agent will take care of it. Everybody knows my feelings towards Rangers – I enjoy myself here and I enjoy my football.”

“The manager (Walter Smith) has given me a chance to play at the level I’m at and if he’s here next season, I would be delighted with that.”

” When you see the job he has done, especially with the finances being the way they are just now, it’s a credit to him.”

“I said before he was a manager I wanted to play for and he has shown faith in me. I would like to keep paying him back for showing that faith in me by scoring goals every week.”

With those words we would think he wanted to stay with Rangers but reports last week suggested he was edging closer to a move to Birmingham City, who of course have a Scottish manager in Alex McLeish, who was manager at Rangers from 2001 until 2006, so Alex will know the player well.

The 26 year-old 6′ striker started his career in 1999 at Kilmarnock, where he appeared a total of 168 times with 67 goals, and was brought to Glasgow in January of 2006.

He’s played 187 times for Rangers with 126 goals, and has represented Scotland 16 times.

We’re not sure of course whether the Newcastle club would be interested in Kris, but Hughton is said to want to bring in a proven goal-scorer in the summer, and the lad certainly has scored some goals, albeit in Scotland, where the class of football is a lot lower than in the Premiership.

But he looks like he would be a good addition to the Newcastle striking options, and we’re sure Chris Hughton and chief scout Graham Carr have already run the rule over the player.

What we don’t know is whether the club will go after the free-scoring striker – but if they are interested now’s the time to do it – and Kris comes at a very good price.

• DJG

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM

How about doing a thread about Phil Airey Ed?

The young geordie lad is coming on class at the minute and frightened the life out of Villa in their own back yard last night.

Why do we always give more respect to forigners than our own lads?

• Robby Bobson

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I know its in the Scottish league but he certainly knows where the goal is

• Aza9

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Good ratio even if it is in the SPL could take a punt on a free and im sure he will be worth a few mill at the end of it if it doesn’t work out. Will go to Brum though since McLeish is there.

• geordie jock

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Good goalscorer, but in a dominant team in one of the worst leagues in europe, in other words no.

• Shot Bru

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Wouldn’t even waste the wages on him..

• Hepi Mag

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I live in Glasgow and the majority of my mates are Rangers daft. I watch Rangers play most weeks.

Kris Boyd cant tackle, defend, pass, cross or play football in general.

The only thing he has going for him is that he is a natural finisher who scores SHITLOADS of goals. He is usually totally anonymous up until he scores although he has improved other aspects of his game this season.

I wouldn’t pin next seasons hopes on him, but if we could get him on a Bosman, in my opinion, he would be worth a punt.

• Doha Mag

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM

He’ll go to Brum to be with McLeish……

He’s no PL experience and I doubt if he’s good enough although my buddy Duncan, a ‘Gers’ fan tells me he’s excellent…………

• cupiddstunt

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I have already passed my opinion about Boyd elsewhere on this blog and I think geordie jock, Shot Bru and Hepi Mag have put that in just about the right perspective.

Boyd is a lazy lazy excuse for a footballer, yes he can score against very poor defences in the SPL, he even has 7 goals from 16 international games which looks impressive but the 7 defences he scored against were

Bulgaria x 2

Faroe Isles x 2

Georgia x1

South Africa x 1

Lithuania x 1

Not what you would call top opposition, so do we really need or want a prima dona who give nothing but the occasional goal and absolutely nothing except a lazy liability when things are not going for you???

Don’t know about you but for me it is a big hope not.A

• NUFCELITE

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I would offer boyd a contract of 2 or 3 years,if he dont work out in the open half of the season we could always sell him to birmingham for a nice little profit in january,which chris could add to his war chest.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Got a list of players here could be had for free, 1 or 2 might have done deals but worth a look for free.Liam Rigdewell 25 (defender birmingham),Sebastian Larson 24 (midfielder birmingham),Kris Boyd 26 (attacker rangers),Morten Gamst Pedersen 28 (winger blackburn),Marrouane Chamakh 26 (attacker bordeaux),Jason Morrison 25 (midfielder ferenvaros),Rafa Wolfe 24 (defender ferenvaros),Andres Sergio Asenjo 20 (goalkeeper ath madrid),Cristian Riveros 27 (midfielder cruz azul),Jose Goncalves 24 (defender hearts),Mouhamadou Dabo 23 (defender saint etienne),Kevin Kuranyi 28 (attacker schalke),Andranik Teymourian 26 (midfielder fulham),Joe Ledley 23 (midfielder cardiff),Gustavo Munua 32 (goalkeeper malaga),Alcantara Thiago 18 (midfielder barcelona),James Mceveley 25 (defender derby),Milos Krasic 25 (midfielder cska moscows),Adriano 28 (attacker flamengo),Borja Fernandez 29 (midfielder real valldolid),Jan Zimmermann 24 (goalkeeper eintracht),Lloyd Sam 25 (midfielder charlton),Christoph Metzelder 29 (defender real mardrid)

• alan shearer

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:55 AM

we should give him a shot..instead of wasting our time with xisco and best..
    peter loven can persuade him to come here.
    an all time goal scorer is enough to persuade me to take him ..instead of jason scotland or ebanks blake..who just merely score abit more goals in one or two season in ccc..and they think they can do well in pl…they are daydreaming…im quite sure boyd is a better player than the 2 flops i mention earlier..
    cos i wanna see boyd in nufc shirt…a proven goalscorer which we are lacking all times..give him a chance since he may cost for nothing and his wages are well within our budget..why not then..sell xisco and best..loan out ranger..

• The Entertainers

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM

We need a goal poacher!
    Boyd could be great, but fear Big Jock would have the upper hand