Hughton Talks About Why Newcastle Youth Policy So Vital

Manager Chris Hughton was at Villa Park last night, and witnessed excellent displays from youngsters Amble-born Phil Airey, Swede Samuel Adjei and Ashington-born defender and captain Jeff Henderson.

Jeff Henderson – Newcastle captain had great game

Chris talked today about how a good youth policy is now required by top clubs:

“The game has changed.”

“What you see at Manchester City and what you saw at Chelsea a few years ago, even Chelsea with the owner they have – they are not investing the sort of money they were a few years ago.”

“That’s the way the game has gone. There generally isn’t the money around and clubs do have to live within their means.”

“They have to work hard on a youth policy and bring players through.”  “That’s the realistic side of the game now.”

Newcastle started a couple of years ago with their new youth policy and it’s good that Chris is following the youngsters, because it means an awful lot to the lads, when top players and the manager himself goes along to see the youngsters play.

They appreciate that and I am speaking from first hand experience on this, since a few eons ago I was a young player at the club back in the early 1960s.

Newcastle will be hoping that some of  their top youngsters will continue to come through the Youth ranks and save the club a  ton of money over the next few years.

We certainly have some top youngsters at the Newcastle club at the moment – and we think that’s just great.

• Purely Belter

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

well then the logical thing would be to sign the best scouts

• Toon1978

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I have just watched the highlights from last nights game and from what i saw Newcastle had the best of the play and really should have won. We have a brilliant set of youngsters coming through and as the saying goes…..the futures bright,the future is BLACK N WHITE.

• G

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM

The FA have been mouthing off for quite some time about more development oportunities for grass roots level kids football, but to be honest, I can’t see any changes. Perhaps this is the most important factor, rather than just clubs going along and taking their pick from Walsend Boys etc, perhaps we should be following closer development at under 11’s? Just a thought.

• peterktoon

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

That’s very good to hear.
    One thing that I have worried about is the development of the young kids not getting there chance and moving away to get first team action. If that happens we will never be “Arsenal”

• Toon1978

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM

G

I live in Wallsend and have done all my life and i have also played for Wallsend boys club at 11 aside and played in the league’s at five aside also. Over the years i have seen some fantastic young players come and go who could of made the big time only for them not to be in the right place at the right time. I was playing at the boysclub the same time as M.Carrick and G. Carrick and i saw some kids that were as go as these two. Like i have said its all about being in the right place at the right time. NUFC imo do NOT use the local boys clubs enough because believe me there are some great young players in and around the area. Instead of jumping on a plane to Europe they should jump on the number 40 bus to Wallsend and other surrounding area’s and check out the skill of these area’s.

• G

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Yeah, I been told that from other sources too Toon1978. Was speaking to my cousin recenly, as his kid has been between the sticks for various teams around west end of newcastle, and most of them say that interaction from the club with the youth / ameteur sides in the region is practically none existent these days. I know it’s hard to spot talent in an a kid, but surely we have the facilites locally, Blue Flame, Westage Hill, Scotswood, just to name a few. Also, I am informed that if a kid ends up on the towns books they are not allowed to play competitive football (School teams etc) in case of injuries? I have no idea if that is true, but surely that will hamper their development.

• Toon1978

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM

G

Yes i have known that for a while concerning the kids that end up on the towns books. They are not allowed to play for their school team BUT when i was at school (st Thomas Moore) in North sheilds there were 3 of the lads on the books of Boro, Sunderland and Forest but were still playing for the school team. I don’t know if its just a rule at NUFC but its not a very good rule imo BUT i suppose its a risk letting the kids play for other teams incase of carrer threatening injuries. The lad i go to the match with, his son was picked up by NUFC scouts a few weeks back but i forgot to ask him about this rule. The kid also plays for Whitleybay and his school footy team but i’m not sure wether that has been stopped i will have to ask his fatha.

• G

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

When I played at school in the 70’s in my moulded boots made from cheap plastic on waterlogged pitches (When they were not frozen!) and you studded somebody in the leg (They were told it was a fair challenge – play on), I don’t remember anybody having any kind of career ending injuries? I do remember slicing my hand right open at another schools pitch on a broken bottle though. Surely the kind of injury the clubs are concerned about are the exception, and not the rule?

• THE MAGPIE

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Any youngster who does come thru is sure to be moved on by his agent-thats the problem they soon get poached by top teams paying top dollar.
    Of course if the idea is to develop and sell to raise money thats an entirely different policy.
    Either way you wont see the best of these young players unless the club itself is competitive.

• Toon1978

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM

G

I’m really not sure why NUFC have the rule in place. That is the only reason i could come up with but i maybe totally wrong.

• G

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:42 PM

It’s been suggested by others. I know one of the Wallsend boys coaches, I may ask him if he knows. If only I had been good enough to have worn the shirt myself, whilst I was excellent in the tackle (oo-er matron!) at either Centre Half or Right Full Back I possesed the ball control skills of Douglass Bader after 15 pints!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM

were supposed to have agreed terms with jaun albin, delighted if its true

• Toon1978

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:03 PM

GG7

Where did u hear this mate???

• Newutd

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM

How bout using some young players in our matches….?

Nile should get the chance again soon.

• G

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Its on his wiki page:
    but I have seen these before. I will believe it when I see it confirmed at the press conference.

• SAMeobi

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I’d like to see a bit more of players like Jonny Godsmark and Shane Ferguson? I know Godsmark was on loan at Hereford for the first part of the season then broke his arm/hand and havent heard nothing since then… was meant to be really good at Hereford and bagged a couple aswell.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM

toon 1978- my cousin is in barcelona, and it was on the news there and in some papers mate. iv heard from a few of them that are out there on a stag about t.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I will be well pleased if its true about Albin would be a coop for the club.As for the kids i think we have to loan a lot more of them out to teams in lower divisions, as long as there going to play them that is,so they can gain the experience they need.