Coloccini Has Proved His Worth To Newcastle This Season

One Newcastle player who has grown in stature at Newcastle throughout the season is Argentine International Fabricio Coloccini.

Fabricio Coloccini – we hope he gets into the  Argentine squad

Fabricio arrived at Newcastle in the summer of 2008 when Kevin Keegan was managing the club, but it seemed it was Dennis Wise who brought the player to Newcastle for over £10M.

While he started his career on Tyneside well, his form went off as the club got into trouble both on and off the field, and he was one of the players we slammed last summer after the Newcastle club was relegated.

But his form this year, coupled with his fight and spirit have forced us to take all that criticism back, and we have gladly done that.

Fabricio has proved himself not only loyal to the Newcastle club, but he is now a definite fan favorite on Tyneside, along with his brilliant Argentine colleague Jonas Gutierrez.

While Fabricio was in the Argentine squads earlier in the season, he has been omitted form recent squads chosen by Diego Maradona, and the odds seem now against the center-back making it to South Africa for the World Cup in the summer.

However, Fabricio is still hopeful he can be selected, as he told the Sunday Sun today:

“It will be difficult, but I have never lost hope,”

“The first thing I needed to do was make things right for my club, and luckily, I have fulfilled the objectives that I set out for this season with Newcastle.”

“That was down to the group of players here more than any individual, but I am happy and very calm about how I have been playing.”

“What comes next, who knows? It’s everyone’s dream to play at a World Cup. If I can play in this one and help my country, what could be more proud?”

“I am a proud Argentinian and I will make myself available for the international team until the day I die. “But obviously, my aim now is to play in this World Cup.”

The 6′ Cordoba-born player has represented his country 33 times with one goal, and he has now appeared for Newcastle 75 times with two goals.

We think Fabricio making it to the World Cup in South Africa in June will be just reward for a great season at Newcastle, and all the positive publicity around the world for Newcastle in the latter part of this season, has to be a help to his inclusion.

Coloccini has been the bed-rock of the Newcastle defense this season, and whatever happens at Newcastle in the future for Coloccini,  we’ll never forget that.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Maradona might just be looking at a few options for his team in the world cup,knowing already what Coloccini can do for them.I will be amazed if he ain’t in there world cup squad this summer.

• Captain Beefheart

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I argued Colo’s case long and hard, and he hasn’t let us down. I now hope we can can keep him as our intelligent defensive bedrock for years to come. What a pleasure it is to see the way he covers for his colleagues and has made it easy for the defence to get over a really unsettled season – with Van the Man, Kadar, One Size, Willo and Simpson all benefiting from his astute brain.

Enrique also has been sublime, and watching the ball being played on the ground in neat triangles from the last man at the back has given me as much joy this year as any of the goals.

• Charlietoon

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Maradona has done his best to show the press and the world he will do what he wants when he wants. Collo is probably fortunate because attention will be drawn to him by the fact the gutti is in the Argie team and the two of them are playing together here so if anyone has a shot I would rank him the number 1 outsider

• Solaidback

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I know he’s done the biz for us this season but & I know I’m going to get slammed for saying this, he hasn’t really been playing agaisnt top international strikers has he, so maybe thats why Maradona has ommited him from the Argie squad for the world cup??

I’m hoping I’m wrong & he gets picked because as I said, he’s done a great job for us & we missed him when he was out but I just hope he can handle the PL strikers next season, the way he did the Fizzy pop strikers this season!!

Just my opinion 🙂

• The Entertainers

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:06 AM

The lads quality and easily the best CB in this division.
    Would make my CCC team of the season…….oh nows theres a topic:

Harper (nufc)
    Perch (Forest)
    Williams (Swansea)
    Colocini (Nufc)
    Enrique (Nufc)
    Jonas (Nufc)
    Whittingham (Cardiff)
    Dorrans (WBA)
    Nolan (Nufc)
    Maynard (Bristol C)
    Chopra (Cardiff)

• The Entertainers

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I tried not to be too pro-Newcatsle with the above league…….with almost half the team from the Toon i prehaps still have my black ‘n’ white glasses on but hey, thats my team!

• Seabass

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Its amazing how many seem confident in Coloccini. I think he will get humiliated by the prem attackers once again. Get rid if we get an offer thats ok or use him as cover. We definately need a new good centre back at the club.

• wsquare

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM

only good enough for the championship. will be found wanting in the premiership.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Seabass and wsquare as you both seem to have poor eyes sight i have 1 word for ya SPECSAVERS.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM

2 pairs for the price of 1

• Turkish Magpie

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Thats what i dont get,, a star in the Championship but poor in the Prem-

COLO PROVE ME WRONG!

• Captain Beefheart

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Colo came from real footballing teams (including Boca Juniors) in which the passing game is played into a team that has only ever defended well sporadically over the last 20 years. Even then our tendency to hoof it clear could be fairly primitive at times.

His steadying influence has enabled football to be played in all positions and in all situations. He was found wanting in the Prem because we always neglected the importance of defenders being footballers first. This was not his fault. Keegan’s teams were rubbish at the back because they were built from the front, Daglish and Gullit struggled, and finally Sir Bobby tried to restore the balance, but we were still flakey at times.

Chris (himself an international defender) has never omitted either Colo or Enrique when they are fit, he knows just how important both of them are to the whole team. Look at the game now, we are actually playing football from the last man and retaining possession. This ability to pass and play keepball in itself has helped the goals against tally – if we have the ball the opposition can’t score. This is the real revolution at Newcastle.

• nightfa11

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:28 PM

i agree..he’s too important..last year was his first season & also the whole team played badly..

why would some of u want to sell him & disrupt the back 4 again when they’re playing well? if we do that we might just end up in CCC again..he plays well with any of our CB..+ he’s our most experienced player (him & butt)..he played for argentina, boca, milan, vilarreal, deportivo & now newcastle..pretty good list of teams.

• muna

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM

hes gud but hes too lyt weit for the prem me thinks…
    i think we need a more strong physicl cb lyk samba wid him…wiliamson is same lyk colo.. gud positionin n marking but nt strong physically…

• Solaidback

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I’m suprised that so many people think the same as I do & even more suprised that I’ve not been slated for my earlier post but other have after me.. lol

• Nela.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Not sure he’s proved his worth after all he cost £10000000 and is rumored to be on £60000 a week you would expect him to be a class above any striker in the Championship. If he continues next season in the same vain of form then maybes but I just have so many memories of him being physically dominated by premier league forwards time and time again, I think he ball watches too much and for a centre half I think his marking and heading are poor and those are pretty big requisites of a centre back at any level of footy hope he proves me wrong though.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM

He was found wanting big time for the Sheff.Utd goal.
    If he chickens(he just barged into the striker to put him off and had no thoughts of challengin for the ball in the air) out like that in the PL he wont make it.
    A great ball player but maybe too short,afraid he might get bossed around.