Should Newcastle Sign Fitz Hall This Summer?

Fitz Hall has started 6 games for Newcastle since he arrived on loan from QPR in January.

Fitz Hall – has been solid for Newcastle when he’s played

With Steven Taylor out injured, Chris Hughton bought Mike Williamson for £1M from Pompey, and also brought in Fitz on loan through the end of the season, to ensure that center-back would not be a problem position during the run-in.

And it’s worked out quite well with Williamson showing some stellar form for the Magpies, and when Fitz gets the nod, he’s been solid for Newcastle at the back.

And if Argentine Coloccini is not fit for the game at Plymouth on Monday night, Hall could get his 7th start for the Magpies, since young Tamas Kadar is also out injured.

This is what Fitz said today about him time on Tyneside:

“My views haven’t changed from when I first came here. I came here on the basis of I wanted to get some games under my belt at a massive club like Newcastle and see where it takes me.”

“It’s a massive club and anyone if they had a chance to sign for Newcastle, they would be stupid to turn it down.”

“But at the end of the day, my contract here is to the end of the season and I have still got two more years at QPR.”

So it looks like Hall would be only too happy to sign for Newcastle, if he gets the chance in the summer.

He is 29, and owner Mike Ashley has said Newcastle would only sign players 26 years old or younger, so that may tell against him.

But regardless of his age, do you think Newcastle should sign Hall, on his ability alone?

Please go to our home page and cast your vote in our new poll – thanks.

• toongloom

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM

NO!!! we do not want too many championship players in the squad. Danny simspon, ameobi, smith, butt will not make it in the premiership next season. I wudnt never had signed simpson for rb, we had ryan taylor there. We need a quality defender who can play right across the back, not championship players like fitz hall. We need quality!

• thud and blunder

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Id sign him, if we could get him for £750,000 or something then why not. He would be a decent squad defender, plenty of experience and would be useful against teams like Stoke who just launch the ball into the box from throw ins etc

Seems the type of player would would sweat blood for the cause.

• Toon Sweden77

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Cant make up my mind on this one. He seems to be a hard working lad and could be good cover for the first team. But in the same way I dont want him to halt progression for the younger players like Kadar etc.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Nope!

• vic1988

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM

young wilson from pompey would be better option

• Newutd

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Definitely not. If we need to buy a new center back we should go for Ragnar Sigurdsson (IFK Gøteborg). He has been very impressing for the swedish side. As well as being a great tackler, he is also very good with the ball in his feet.

• Ericles

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Can I play with Ashley’s ball too?

• Ed Harrison

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM

vic1988 – Marc Wilson looks a decent player – he’s been out on loan since leaving Man United and joining Pompey back in 2004. He’s now 22 years old and was called into the full Northern Ireland squad this year but didn’t play.
    We’re sure there’s some good talent like this out there – we just have to find the best ones.

• Ed Harrison

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Newutd – Ragnar Sigurdsson plays for Iceland – he’s played 13 times for them – and 87 times for IFK Gøteborg – he is just 23 and 6’2″ tall – interesting player.

• Ericles

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I think Sigurdsson and Wilson would be better choices. But again Hall would be a useful squad player as well. We need 22 reliable players to mount a challenge for Premier respectability and the FA and League Cups too. Not beyond us.

• henoshaw

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

sigurdsson looks a top lad, young and quality looking, would prob get cheap too

• Obafan

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Don’t know what to do about him, but if I put some argues in here I wthink it would not be that bad to sign him. Why?

1. YES; he knows the club by now, he wanted to play for us even when he knew he would not be a regular starter. When he played, he played good (from what I’ve read) and if we read his comments he would do anything to be succesfull at Newcastle.

2. NO; he hasn’t got any EPL experience (but that does not mean that he would not be capable of doing a good job there) and he would also stop the run for a few youngsters (Kadar, …).

So if I might choose for the right amount of money sign him.

• GeordieBean

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM

errr lemme say it in 2 words “”Hell No”” but wilson and ragnar sound intersting 😉 we defintly take another bassong 😛

• buddy

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM

probably the most outrageous idea of read in a while….he isnt bloody good enough for QPR……or us for that matter! and thats at championship level…..
    lets not let this year blindfold us into thinking that our 1st team players are prem standard never mind our last resort reserves. we need quality in next year not bloody quantity……let williamson be back up next year and bring in a bloody good centre half…..or use kadar more often…..or at least get someone young with potential but my god not bloody fitz hall
    hes the type of signing along with harewood that might see us back in the championship sooner rather than later……..marc wilson on the other hand is showing a little bit more ambition and intelligence when it comes to the behemoth of a task next year

• G

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I think one size has done very well indeed for the toon when he has played, but to buy him for next season would be a mistake. I do not think he is up to it at all, however, he has been reliable for us so far. I think we should thank him for his efforts but bid our farewells.

• GeordieMeerkat

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM

We have 3 good CBs in Taylor, Colo and Williamson with good youth as well in Kadar, Henderson and Folan.

If we are to sign a CB get in Marc Wilson, Miles Addison or similar to give another option there and a replacement for Butt all in one.

• iain

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM

it all depends on a few things really doesnt it…

if the price is right for 4th choice ch then yeah why not go for it.

kadar wont develop playing a few games here and there will he, needs a full season out on loan somewhere…

hall has tons of pl experience i think obafan he helped nearly keep palace up when dowie was there manager did he not ??? and tbh we hardly looked like battering them the few times we played them.

we need a striker more than we need 4th choice ch so the less we spend on defensive cover the more we should in theory have to spend on the quality we need for teh starting 11 upfront or in midfield…

i agree with the sentiments that hall will be more usefull away at places like bolton and stoke than some people give him credit for, taylor and collo have stuggled against those sort of teams and williamson is untried against them, cant see another youngster being any good at coping with what they will have to throw at us next season…

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Should we sign him? No!

We have Taylor, Colo and Williamson with Kadar as back up. How many CB’s do we need?

Geordie Meerkat – Ben Tozer aswell?

• RetroBiscuits

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Too much doubt surrounding this one and for that reason i think we should not sign him, he has done well in my opinion at newcastle but as stated previously no EPL experience not that this is a valid excuse because i believe some players need quality opposition to bring the best out of them.
    As well with the rumoured 26yr old age cap if this is true they must stick by it with no exceptions.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM

With the present regime he’s about all we can afford I can see the team being like the one in the days of Richard Dinnis in a word BORING

• iain

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM

by my reckoning guys he has played about 5o games in the premiership before for both palace and wigan…

• NUFCELITE

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM

ED found a back door trogan on my pc yesterday hopefully they wont be able to use my name now.As for Fizz Hall i would send him back myself.

• wsquare

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM

f no! lol

• lewisnufc

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:12 PM

no premier league experience?! course he has, wigan and palace….

but however, i dont think we should sign him. I would rather have the younger players for back up, cause when given the chance they will be wanting to make a name for themselves.

• DanNUFC

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

good to hear NUFCELITE… was getting annoying haha

i think we should be looking for a right back not a cb… Perch would be good, and Van on loan for lb/lw

• Bucks mag

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Thanks, but no thanks.

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Why are people banging on about signing James Perch?

He has had one good game against us and the Forest fans I spoke seem to think that it was the game of his life.

Perch – No thanks.

• Newutd

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM

DanNUFC

Perch was great against us, but he hasn’t impressed in general. I went to check out the Forest-forum, and people didn’t mind too much if he left in the summer. And he was actually one of the few that were not mentioned in who had impressed this season.

Van Aanholt would be great.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM

25 DanNUFC yes you are right there mate teach me to go into the hackers blog at nufc.org.macn0ble (Finland) do you ussally write in blue?

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM

NUFCELITE – If I was you I would cut out the libelous comments.

No-one from .org has been hacking you.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM

If that were true tooneys how come they been useing my name

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM

NUFCELITE – I have told you before, it wasn’t one of us. Althought to be fair the comment was on an older thread so I’m not sure if you read it. But that is the truth, I have no reason to lie about it.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM

toonsy i aint going to argue with ya as you the only 1 has the balls to use his own name when he has something to say.1 question though do you know all these people in real life?

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

NUFCELITE – Not personally no, but I have known them all a long time through sites like this before.

Bottom line is, none of us have any interest in hacking or doing anything like that, nor do we have the time, nor are we interested in posting comments under your name. We all have other more important stuff to be doing in fairness.

If someone has been using your name then it’s unfortunate. It’s also ironic you complain about it as you were doing the same thing on .org. Anyway, your accusations of us doing it are far wide of the mark.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

toonsy so you cant speak for all of them really can you.1 more question, why are most of them anti ashley, speading doom and gloom all the time,newcastle could win the league, win the cups, win the euro cup and they would still be moaning mate.Find it very offensive myself mate,and feel a lot in there are anti newcastle.

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

It’s not at all like that. People can comment whatever they want. If they like Ashley then they like Ashley, if they don’t then they don’t.

So you find others opinions offensive?

There is no doom and gloom, just opinions. I myself give Ashley credit where it is due, but I was wishing him dead last summer, on here in fact. Worky is the same and the other writer just doesn’t like Ashley at all and I don’t think ever will.

Bottom line is, all of us want Newcastle to do well, win cups and everything. We just have differing ideas of how to do it. That isn’t just on .org, it’s the same on all sites. If we all agreed there would be no need for sites like this an ours, or others. I would be boring 😀

There is no collective anti-Newcastle thing at all. In fact I have been accused of having my head in the clouds by some posters because I happen to think we can survive without spending a fortune whereas they want millions and millions to be spent. It’s all differences of opinion, that’s all.

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

P.S – The other writer also gives credit where it due as far as Ashley is concerned, but he still thinks there is a lot to do put things right.

• NUFCELITE

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:55 PM

toonsy 1 example is the other day ED brought out a blog steve taylor and andy carroll to make up which is what i think most newcastle supporters would like to see.What dos workey do within a hour brings out a blog lousie taylor in the gutter or something like that highlighting all her points and stiring up the crap,and what do most of the nodding sheep in his blog say, good work workey,was it really, i think not, me myself i would call that anti newcastle.

• henok

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Lol seriously I just heard we released calsum Morris who is young and better than both mike and hall ..plus we relesed benhag what is wrong with the staff ..they dint want to signe star players…they say they want nufc acadamy players and they relese them WTF…let me remember u Kris gate,a obrien, 2 players who would have been a Starter by now ..when we come to hall…he isn’t a coca cola standard …and if Chris wants him I wll say Cris must be sacked cause I still don’t see any good link

• toonsy

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

NUFCELITE – On the contrary, what was actually being said was the Louise Mackem Taylor spends her time slating Newcastle on unsubstantiated reports. It was in her article that she made wild claims about Carroll and Taylor, then she moans about Newcastle fans moaning at her.

That article was adreesing the balance that the majority feel about her, which is why there was a good reaction to it.

It wasn’t being negative about Newcastle, it was being negative about Louise Taylor being constantly negative about Newcastle.