Plymouth Argyle Club And Fans Show Their Real Class

After the 2-0 win at Home Park tonight, Newcastle manager Chris Hughton paid tribute to both players and fans, and the Plymouth Argyle club showed us all some real class.

Plymouth Argyle – club and fans a real class act

The win saw Newcastle win the Championship, and are currently 9 points ahead of 2nd placed WBA, with just 2 games to play.

Chris Hughton told ChronicleLive after the game tonight:

“It’s a great achievement, one that the players and staff deserve, not to mention the fans who were magnificent again.”

“We are proud to be able to lift the trophy for them on Saturday.”  “It was another good win and we kept up our professional approach.”

After the final whistle tonight, Newcastle fans celebrated on the pitch as the Queens’ “We Are the Champions” blaired out over the loud-speakers.

The Plymouth club tonight showed real class as they not only played “We are The Champions” but also  The Blaydon Races and Local Hero for the traveling Newcastle fans.

And this was on the night the Plymouth club was unfortunately relegated to League One.

A class act indeed, that you see all too rarely these days.

Well done – and thanks to the Plymouth fans and football club

• Newutd

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Respect to Plymouth!

• chris6033

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM

totally agree Ed! credit where credit is due, it was a tough night for the home fans, (just like us last year) but they paid great respect to the champions of championship 2010!!!
    HWTL!!!

• Bucks mag

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Aye they played their part tonight, must have been sickening for a home fan to hear that when you’ve just gone down. I’ll be comiserating my mate tomorrow.

Respect.

• Tom4Nufc

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Now lets go buy Alan Judge… Good young player and wont cost much off Blackburn I think! He is only 21! I think he would be a good ‘squad player’ although I know lots of people will oppose me on this one! He played well tonight and was there only real quality in my opinion!

Thoughts?

• Toon-Army

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM

ANY HELP MUCH LOED!! REALLY NEED A TOON TICKET FOR IPSWICH MATCH!! ANY SUGGESTIONS??

• Edd Case

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Respect to Plymouth!

• TinoAsprilla

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Judge looks good as did West Ham’s Bondz N’Gala, only 20 and i thought Yannick Bolasie has been good all season, very creative and is only 20 too.

• Mags

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Huge respect to Plymouth FC and the Green Army. What a marvelous gesture by the club to the Newcastle team/fans before and after the match. That could not have been easy.

By far the best fans to come to SJP

I wish them the best of luck in the coming season and hope they get straight back up. I’ll be looking for your results.

• Dragonera

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Tino

Yea i liked the look of Bolasie. I also think one of their centre halves was half decent. Not sure which one, but he seemed to deal with Carroll quite well for the majority of the game.

• G

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Did anybody notice if Paul Whitehouse was in the crowd or not? Seriously though, that was a great gesture by PAFC, and I will watch their results with interest next season in the hope that they get back to the fizzy pop at the first attempt.

• stuart no9

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

yeah, could nt believe it when , local hero, we are the champions blasted out from their PA , what a touch, we wont forget.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Just got in, had the best day/night ever as a toon fan, I have videos on my iPhone as proof, from seeing the lads get off the coach and getting pancake wack his head on the wing mirror (wich I will send to soccer am) to being in a huddle with joey Barton and smudge, thenbeing cuddled by big mike, then getting lovenkrands to take a picture of me and my missus while we took a pic of him doing it. Lovenkrands and Barton are two of the nicest players I have ever met, leon bestwas a cont though, big mike and One size were nice fellas, and Nolan was hilarious, smith was abit moody, I was one of the first on the pitch after getting mauled down by the stewards, conts!!! Grazed my face and made me do a klinsman on the bank leading to the pitch next to the goal, grass stains everywere. Lost my voice. Lost my wallet. But still the best away game I have ever experienced, even better than feyenord in the champs league, got my shirt signed by most. Plymouth fans showed a nice touch as did the Plymouth staff. Just to add I will be distraught if I didn’t feature on sky tonight..

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:47 AM

First class all the way much respect to plymouth. I watched the match on espn 3 here stateside. Before the game i noticed a couple lads out on the pitch holding a big banner that read, “congratulations Newcastle on going up” or something to that affect. Lots of respect to plymouth and i hope they make it back up on the first time of asking. Their fans certainly do not deserve anything less then championship football.Congrats to the boys and all the staff at the club…

All the way from the U.S.A.
    Howay the Lads!!!!!

• geordie_india

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Thanks plymouth we know whats relegation is…be back next year.

• onlyoneshearer

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM

i agree incredible effort by plymouth HOWEVER if it was vice a versa and newcastle started playing we are the champions at st james park on the day we were relegated i would be absolutely fuming!I mean the banner the mascots held at the start of the match saying ‘congratulations newcastle’ it was if they had resigned themselves to defeat! I am over the moon with the season Newcastle have and absolutely delighted with being league champions but I think plymouth fans surely can’t be happy with their clubs kind hospitality for our celebrations

• Captain Beefheart

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM

I 100% echo the sentiments about Plymouth’s supporters and the hospitality shown. The banners were a mark of friendship and respect, not resignation. Consequently their fans were gracious in defeat, unlike our own too often, although the team’s efforts on the pitch were equal to any I have seen this season – in fact they could easily have nicked this game on any other day.

They’ll now take this dignity to Div.1, and hopefully retain Paul Mariner & our own John Carver to get them up first time of asking. Maybe they could do with Nile Ranger on loan to give them a helping hand….

Great result, and what a sublime second goal; just like watching Brazil.

• nuttyward

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:29 AM

cant wait fot saturday, brings back so many memories when we hammered leicster ,bring on the tractor boys and the trophey for the toon army,wonder i keeno will bring his dogs for the party

• eddief

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Full praise to Plymouth. Their fans and staff were a credit to them last night, I really hope they bounce back up next year and maybe even join us in the Prem 1 year – after their reaction last night they deserve it.

• tdt

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Great sportsmanship from the home fans last night – quite a contrast from the Villa fans last season though, dont you think?