The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fraser Forster Will Become A World-Class Goalkeeper

1:45 am, Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

After Norwich City’s great 1-0 win at Charlton Athletic on Saturday afternoon, the Norwich City manager has hailed the brilliant play of their on-loan goalkeeper from Newcastle United, Fraser Forster.

Fraser Forster – has been brilliant for Norwich all season

It was a close game at Charlton, and it took some goalkeeping heroics from Forster in the second half of that game to keep the clean sheet, and secure all 3 points at 5th placed Charlton.

Forster has three matches remaining of his loan spell from Newcastle, and it is probably the last time he will play for Norwich City, although the East Anglia club would take Fraser on loan next season in a heartbeat.

Norwich manager Paul Lambert talked about Fraser Forster,  Newcastle 6’6″ 22 year-old goalkeeper:

“I don’t think there is a better under-21 goalkeeper going, I really don’t,”

“I get asked the question regularly. I am not telling anyone how to do their job, that’s for somebody else to do it, but in my view there’s not a better one about.”

“I think he will be world class – and that’s not putting pressure on the kid because I think he has been colossal. If there is a better one there, I’d like to see him.”

Forster has made 39 appearances for Norwich this season and has been in magnificent form all season, with about half those games ending in a clean sheet.

But Newcastle are keeping close tabs on their young goalkeeper, and Fraser manages to train early in the week back at Newcastle, and the coaches are well aware of his outstanding form.

In fact Steve Harper, Newcastle’s number one 35 year-old goalkeeper,  recently said he knows he will have a formidable challenge from Fraser next season.

Paul Lambert continued:

“Try to keep him? Newcastle have just been promoted, he’s going back into the Premiership,” “You don’t know what’s going to happen.”

“They’ve got a terrific goalkeeper themselves up there at the moment, a couple, but their goalkeeping coach at Newcastle rates him highly.”

“So do I, because I think he has been brilliant. It’s just a pity he’s not Scottish.”

Charlton boss Phil Parkinson also thought the display of Forster was first-class last Saturday as he added:

“He was tremendous. He put in a great performance for them and well done to Norwich for getting promotion.”

“In the second half, we threw everything we possibly could at Norwich. We changed it round with substitutes and we threw Sam Sodje up front.”

“We just couldn’t get the ball in the back of the net.”

Newcastle now have  3 very good goalkeepers in Harper, Krul and Forster, and we have to think one of them will be sent out on loan next season.

Maybe this time it will be Dutch U21 goalkeeper Tim Krul who will get some games away from Newcastle.

Tags: Fraser Forster · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Steve Harper · Tim Krul

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sgt. Heagerty // Apr 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I think Krul will be sent out. I watched the charlton v norwich match on the tele and it was the first time i have seen forster play. The kid was outstanding. I know it was only one match but he made some world class saves. I can see him pressuring Harps next year for the #1 spot between the pipes. No question the kid is gonna be special. Krul is very good as well but having seen both i think forster has the edge. Krul needs games bad because he has warmed the bench all year. Hope we can loan him to a championship side next year and let him get a full season of games under his belt. We are the champs…Toon army 4 life…

HWTL

• 2 baro // Apr 20, 2010 at 2:38 AM

I really like Tim Krul better but I have never seen Fraser Forster play that much. Would love to see how he plays. If that good as every one is saying, which I can kind of tell by his 20 something clean sheets this year than how about World Cup 2010 spot.

• 3 singamagpie // Apr 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM

Saw the match against charlton and he was outstanding. But I will never forget the Uefa Cup match against Palermo when a young Tim Krul produced many top class saves that won us the game.

I think Forster will turn out to be like Brad Friedel while Krul will have more agility and turn out to be like shay given.

• 4 UTD111 // Apr 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM

I can’t see United being able to hold on to both Forster and Krul long-term….if they keep playing the way they are, we might not be able to keep either of them!!

• 5 MarkO // Apr 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Send both out on loan, recall Krul if Harper gets injured and play Soderberg as Harpers backup

• 6 cupiddstunt // Apr 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Watched the Norwich/Charlton game and was mightily impressed, he has a lot of clean sheets this season which shows it was not just a one off game, but just one of many outstanding performances.

There are rumours that loads of Norwich City fans recon he is the reason they are in the position they are in so are going to vote him their player of the season which if true is massive praise for a keeper.

NUFC have a problem with three outstanding keepers vying for one post I would hate to be the one to have to make the decision as to who stays and who goes.

• 7 richardj1986 // Apr 20, 2010 at 10:31 AM

To be Fair to Fraser, Krul should go out on loan next season but as we done with fraser keep the loans sort. and let the club extend each time.
    Would love to see soleberg (4th Keeper) go on loan to a league one side. Someone like Huddersfield if they dont get promoted.
    We need to Keep Jak at home to let him play in the reserves and the under 18s, This would give him enough games to progress. I think we need to give our goal keeping coaches a medal as the quality they are producing is World Class. Next season has to be Harpers last to keep the kids wanting to play for the toon.

previous post: Newcastle Have Had An Unbelievable Season!

next post: Newcastle Finishing The Season In Magnificent Style