Newcastle Have Had An Unbelievable Season!

Kevin Nolan was only one of the players delighted after the game last night, after Newcastle had won the Championship with a 2-0 win over Plymouth, who were relegated.

Kevin Nolan – it’s fantastic and I’m delighted

Newcastle are currently 9 points ahead of WBA, with just 2 games to play in the season.

Kevin Nolan told Sky Sports after the game last night:

“We said after beating Forest that we wanted to go on and keep winning, and now we’re looking at breaking records,””

We’re not going to take Saturday lightly. We’ve got a fantastic home record and we’ve got to make sure we keep that intact.”

“There’ll be no letting up, you know what Chris is like, and he’ll make sure he’s on top of us after a couple of days of enjoying this.”

“We’ve gone up as champions, it’s fantastic and I’m absolutely delighted.”

And the former Bolton Wanderers captain is already looking forward to Newcastle’s return to the Premiership, where he will again be a key player for the Magpies next season.

Kevin continued:

“As soon as we got promotion, we wanted the title and we haven’t laid up,”  “We wanted it and we’ve got it.”

“It’ll probably sink in this week and massive credit must go to all the staff and the lads for the effort they’ve put in.”

“We’ve got a massive season in the Premier League to look forward to now.”

Plymouth started well at Home Park last night, in the first 15 minutes of the game, but then two good clinical finishes from Newcastle effectively finished the game as a contest, and Newcastle were 2-0 up after just 28 minutes.

Andy Carroll scored after 20 minutes with another looping header, and then a sensational through ball from in-form Joey Barton put Wayne Routledge completely clear, and the right winger finished brilliantly after rounding the goalkeeper.

Wayne’s scored 3 goals for Newcastle so far, and each one of them has been great to watch.

Andy Carroll is now level with Kevin Nolan in the goal-scoring charts, with both players on 18 goals.

Wayne Routledge scores Newcastle’s brilliant second goal

Wayne Routledge scored  another super goal, and said after the game:

“They started well, they’re fighting for their lives,” “It’s important to get goals at the right time and I feel we did that today.””Everyone wants to play Premier League football and I’m no different,”

“To come here in January and get in a team that was performing so well was a great achievement, and we’re all happy to be where we are.”

There will be a further huge celebration this coming Saturday afternoon, when Newcastle entertain Ipswich Town, in their final home game of the season, which has already been sold out.

And Newcastle are unbeaten at home this season, and assuming we don’t lose to Ipswich, this will be the first unbeaten season at home since 1907.

That’s just one of the records the Magpies this season have created, with 21 clean sheets being a new record, and 98 points is already  2 points better than the Kevin Keegan led promotion side of 1993, and there are still 6 points to play for.

Newcastle have 29 wins and only 4 defeats in their 44 Championship games so far this season, with a massive goal difference of  54.

It’s been some season for this Newcastle team – and it seems almost unbelievable given where the club was in early July – in a very deep hole.

Just unbelievable.

• Brisvegas

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

And only 4 more goals to score to make it 100 in league and cups this season.

• Brisvegas

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Oh …. 1st

• Charlietoon

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Thats a good one Brisvegas. Another milestone I dont think Chris has even thought of. I want Smith to get a goal this year. Put him on as striker one game!!

• Charlietoon

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Carn the Aussie toon fans!!!!!!!!

• Charlietoon

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I think the geezers are asleep……sleep tight geezers Zzzzzz Zzzzzz ahh premier league. Zzzzz

• Tom Mo.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:02 AM

center midfield next years GOTTA BE barton and guthrie.

• Newutd

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:07 AM

“We’re not going to take Saturday lightly.”

Bye bye any hopes of seeing some of our young talents have a shot at it.

Stupid really.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Just got in, had the best day/night ever as a toon fan, I have videos on my iPhone as proof, from seeing the lads get off the coach and getting pancake wack his head on the wing mirror (wich I will send to soccer am) to being in a huddle with joey Barton and smudge, thenbeing cuddled by big mike, then getting lovenkrands to take a picture of me and my missus while we took a pic of him doing it. Lovenkrands and Barton are two of the nicest players I have ever met, leon bestwas a cont though, big mike and One size were nice fellas, and Nolan was hilarious, smith was abit moody, I was one of the first on the pitch after getting mauled down by the stewards, conts!!! Grazed my face and made me do a klinsman on the bank leading to the pitch next to the goal, grass stains everywere. Lost my voice. Lost my wallet. But still the best away game I have ever experienced, even better than feyenord in the champs league, got my shirt signed by most. Plymouth fans showed a nice touch as did the Plymouth staff. Just to add I will be distraught if I didn’t feature on sky tonight..

• nuttyward

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:24 AM

chris will be wanting the players who havegot us champions to take the glory and deserved glory at that.and theres not a better place than a full hoose at st james ime sure if we had secured it a little sooner he may well of given the fringe players a go,you cant deny the first team there moment on saturday

• Bucks mag

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM

GG7 – aye it’s awesome being on the pitch isn’t it. makes it even better when you’re seen on SkySports!

As I said on another thread I thought Best was a bit of a t**t when I met him at Reading.