Hughton Will Soon Hold Contact And Transfer Talks With Ashley

When the celebrations this afternoon have all finished, Hughton is scheduled to hold talks with owner Mike Ashley and Chairman Derek Llambias,  to talk through the club’s transfer budget and the possibility of a contract extension for the Newcastle manager.

Mike Ashley greets Chris Hughton – thanks for saving my bacon!

There’s no doubt that Chris has saved the Newcastle club this season, and has therefore saved Mike Ashley’s bacon on Tyneside.

Chris has done everything and more that’s been asked of him this season, and he talked about the discussions that will be upcoming with Mike and Derek:

“I’ve always wanted to wait until what I regard as the important business is done – securing promotion and winning the Championship,”

“We’ve had meetings. but that’s normal I’d have meetings with Derek quite regularly. The bigger meetings as you might put it for the bigger issues we’ll be having.”

“I wanted to leave any talk of contracts until after that. I anticipate I would have meetings with Derek and Mike regarding lots of issues, players for next season and the normal stuff.”

“Hopefully that will be the case but I am under contract anyway. The situation would be different if I was out of contract, but I’m under contract and while that is the case the most important thing is the football. I’ve not been knocking down doors.”

It illustrates the man’s dedication,  that he wants to finish the business first, before he talks about his personal circumstances at the club and also the transfer plans for the summer, which of course also become very important.

But there’s little doubt Chris deserves a good contract for say a couple of years.

Chris is still unproven in the Premiership, but if he does well next season  that contract can be quickly extended and even improved further.

That’s just exactly what we are hoping will happen, once we get into next season.

• thepict

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I think Chris has done enough to deserve a three year contract. We have to getaway fromchanging managers every season. Give him a real chance tomanage our club.

• Solaidback

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I agree he deserves something for what he’s done with teh Toon this season but as you so rightly said, he’s unproven in the PL, so if we give him a 3 year contract, if he fails, the fans will want him out & then thats another huge wad of money down the pan, so instead of giving him an extended contract, leave him on his current one, give him a winners bonus of £1m for getting us promoted & then another £1m if he can keep us up next season & carry on like that 🙂

• BT7MAG

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Thepict, I agree for a number of reasons.

1) He has done enough to deserve it! His strengths are things that can transfer into next season i.e. unity, dressing room democracy, signings and also the ability to listen to the fans BUT not simply yield to them (we’ve seen this with more attacking formations throughout the season, but he’s not afraid to revert to setting his stall out away from home).

2) He has improved immensely over the past year – true he is lacking in experience but as we’ve seen this year, he genuinely benefits from every new experience/week in the job and therefore, even if we have a poor start, he can use it to learn from.

3) He has handled some MAJOR off the field issues magnificently. We will be under the microscope next season and i’ll like to avoid being made a laughing stock (again) Hughton seems able to do this.

4) As Thepict said, short contracts would simply lead to a quick sack/quick fix move that could ultimately get us relegated again, a longer contract would ensure more time in the job (if only to avoid a pay out)

5) It shows that we reward quality. What kind of message of confidence in him does it send if we say; “cheers for that, just not sure you’re good enough though so we’ll only give a year pal!”

Solaidback, I do see what you’re saying, so how about a compromise, a contract which improves by say 10% every time he reaches a reasonable target in that year – staying up, mid table, cup/europe etc.

• Johann

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I completely disagree. He has won us the championsship but that will stand for nothing when we go straight back down. Do you think a team can prosper when no youngsters are giving a run in the side? He constantly drops the young ones for the experienced ones. Man, open your eyes. We´ll be struggling next season with him at the helm. But I still think we´ll start next season brightly, being champions and all that. But his management will get us nowhere. We have to build on the young talent we have to be able to close in on top4 in the years to come.

• Nella

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:32 PM

While I beleve that Chris and his team have done great job I don’t see any need to panic about contracts just yet. If we offer him a long term contract and

• Nella

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM

While I believe that Chris and his team have done a great job I don’t see any reason to panic over his contract, If we offer him a long term deal and it goes pear shaped we’ll have to fork out another fortune to get rid, where as if we leave it as it is and see how he gets on we can then offer him a contract that suits the position we’re in at the time, I don’t forsee any club bigger then us poaching him even if he does really well so why the big rush?

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

No worries lads. Chris will do an excellent job next year and keep us up. I think he relied heavy on experienced players this year because that’s what the situation called for. He played kadar quite a bit and ranger was getting some playing time until the rumors starting coming out about his behavior. I think if we have youngsters who are good enough to play then chris will play. Some of yall amaze me. We just won the soda pop league and auto promotion. Went undefeated at home for the first time in 103 years. We had arguably the best january transfer market we have had in years. The dressing room is united and for the first time in a long time all is well in the toon. Yet to hear it from some of yall the sky is falling! Give chris a chance to do his job. This man bleeds black and white now. He will spill his guts to make newcastle succesful and i believe we will be. It will take a few years to get us where we need to be but if anybody can do it its hughton. Why do you think the top clubs are succesful. They don’t go through managers like cigerettes. Man U as much as i dislike them have sir alex and stability. Granted eventually they will crash and burn but for years they have been stable and succesful. Newcastle have been the opposite and not been very succesful. So be patient and give chris a chance and hopefully he will be our sir alex, cuz before sir alex was sir alex he was just chris and before sir bobby robson (God rest his soul) was sir bobby he was just bobby. Maybe one day we can look back on sir chris! (what, i can dream)…..

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM

messed up it before sir alex he was just alex