Newcastle Finish Unbeaten At Home For First Time In 103 Years

That last minute equalizer by Ipswich Town stopped the Newcastle seven game winning streak and took a bit of the shine off what has been a massive season for the Newcastle club.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton – with Championship trophy

After the game the delighted Newcastle manager, a rookie manager after all,  talked about winning the Coca Cola Championship:

“It’s an outstanding achievement.”

“It was always about gaining promotion and the opportunity to win it; any other targets or accolades that came along with it we would always have been very grateful for.”

“It will probably take a little time to sink in just what an achievement this really is – the fact we haven’t done it for 103 years suggests that.”

“Our home form has been the foundation of our success this season and we have to try and take that into next year.”

“The home fans have been tremendous this season and a big thanks must also go to them for helping us to achieve this record.”

By finishing the season unbeaten at home, the Newcastle side equaled a record set by the League One Champions of 1906-1907 when the lads won 18 of their 19 home games and drew the other one.

We have to have hope, and trust this is the beginning of a new era in Newcastle’s long and glorious history, after the disgrace we suffered last year in being relegated, even though we had a side with the 4th highest wage bill of the 20 sides in the Premier League.

But that disgrace has been put behind us now, and the ability of the lads to fight and scrap in games has returned this season, and we think that will stand us in very good stead for  next season.

But we need to bring in reinforcements in the summer and we should be under no illusions about next season, because it will be very tough.

• GeordieBean

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:56 PM

howay the lads!!!! 🙂
    now the important thing is to get in at least 6 “quality” players 🙂 🙂

and guys any good links please?! 🙂 😉 😀 <3 geordies

• Bucks mag

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Does anyone else think that the figure on top of the Championship trophy looks like a guy in a fox suit?

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM

No worries lads. Chris will do an excellent job next year and keep us up. I think he relied heavy on experienced players this year because that’s what the situation called for. He played kadar quite a bit and ranger was getting some playing time until the rumors starting coming out about his behavior. I think if we have youngsters who are good enough to play then chris will play. Some of yall amaze me with the comments i’ve seen on here the last few days. We just won the soda pop league and auto promotion. Went undefeated at home for the first time in 103 years. We had arguably the best january transfer market we have had in years. The dressing room is united and for the first time in a long time all is well in the toon. Yet to hear it from some of yall the sky is falling! Give chris a chance to do his job. This man bleeds black and white now. He will spill his guts to make newcastle succesful and i believe we will be. It will take a few years to get us where we need to be but if anybody can do it its hughton. Why do you think the top clubs are succesful. They don’t go through managers like cigerettes. Man U as much as i dislike them have sir alex and stability. Granted eventually they will crash and burn but for years they have been stable and succesful. Newcastle have been the opposite and not been very succesful. So be patient and give chris a chance and hopefully he will be our sir alex, cuz before sir alex was sir alex he was just alex and before sir bobby robson (God rest his soul) was sir bobby he was just bobby. Maybe one day we can look back on sir chris! (what, i can dream)…..

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM

and geordiebean i agree we need some quality lads to boost the side but not just any quality lads. The price needs to be right and the age as well. No more has beens on tyneside please…also the players need to want to play for newcastle. They need to understand the history, tradition, and pride here at newcastle united and want to be involved in that. No one player is bigger then the club. And for Pete’s sake mike ashley needs to give the gaffer a 3 year deal at least with a massive pay raise, and at least a 25 million pound kitty (don’t think Chris will use it all, but would like to see mike commit that much to the cause) to go hunting during the summer window.

I am so proud of the lads and the staff for an outstanding season and i want to say thank you to them for supplying my son and I memories for the rest of my life. Also i would like to thank the toon army that has traveled with the lads all across england and filled SJP week in and week out. Yall are simply the best. I am an american and i Live in Missouri stateside so traveling to games is very difficult. I have never been to SJP but my dream is for my son and I is to throw on our Black and White kits and see a match at historical St. James’ Park. Hopefully it will happen next season i’ve been saving up for awhile. If the army will hurry up and medically retire me from my injuries sustained in combat in iraq i will make it. Anyways a big thank you to the toon army over there for carrying our team through the season. Also a big thank you to the rest of the toon army world wide for supporting our black and white troops via buying kits and merchandise, watching games online and tv, traveling thousands of miles and spending tons of money to see them live, and for doing battle online on the message boards and football websites. The toon army is simply the best.

All the way from the USA,
    Howay The Lads!!!!!!

We are the Champions!!!!!!!!
    We are Going Up!!!!!

• baro

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Sgt. Heagerty

Hey where in the USA do you live? I live in Tennessee.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:11 AM

I’m outside fort leonardwood, missouri in a little town called dixon. The army let me choose where i wanted to go to rehab my injuries after i got medvac from iraq. Im from little rock and this is bout as close as i could get so here i am. Glad to see toon fans over here in the states. Most football fans here roll with man u, chelsea, arsenal, or liverpool. Bandwagon fans you know?

HWTL

• baro

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Totally agree 100 % with you. All are bandwagons. I like Chelsea! I like Man U! I like Arsenal! Messi! Ronaldo !!
    All bandwagons. Glad to see your a Newcastle fan and in the army. Go USA! We are the best. And going up! 🙂

HWTL

• baro

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:59 AM

We have the best home record. Now its away at QPR. They are a little tough. Hopefully Haris Vuckic and some other youngsters like Samuel Adjei can get a chance. Would love to see them.

• magpie6699

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM

For once I agree with the suggestion of playing some youngsters next week. I thought some of our players looked a bit leggy yesterday (Nolan, Guti, Jose) and could do with a rest after a long season playing on some ploughed fields. Now that we’ve got the “unbeaten at home” record and seen the trophy celebrations, I’m not so bothered about our away record, 100 points or whatever. Plus it’s not as if we’d be affecting any issues like promotion or relegation against QPR. So yes, I’d like to see Krul, Kadar and maybe Vuckic and start with Best, Shola, Barton etc. and be good to see Staylor get a few minutes at least.