Hughton Not Afraid Of Huge Challenge Of Premier League

Chris Hughton has done a magnificent job for Newcastle United this season, but is still an open question as to how he will fare next season in the Premiership.

Chris Hughton – looking forward to Premier League

This is what Chris Hughton said to the Sunday Mirror this morning when asked about managing next season in England’s top league:

“Managing in the Premier League isn’t something I am fearful of.”

“I have never been afraid of being in charge, whether I have been coach, manager or caretaker. “

“Whatever role I have had on the management side I pride myself on having done my best in the job.”  “I have never shied away from that responsibility.”

“Taking Newcastle back to the Premier League won’t be any different for me. To have won the Championship title in my first ­season is something I am incredibly proud of.”

“Now I am looking at the next challenge. I worked under a lot of top-class managers at Spurs and had to take over as caretaker a couple of times when things were not going well. I know what’s required.”

“I am very much looking forward to being a Premier League manager in my own right and locking horns with the top managers in the game.”

Those are good words from Chris.

We have no idea however, how Hughton will fare next season – not much idea at all, to be truthful.

Obviously we are hoping he will do well, in fact we hope he will do very well.

If he has anything like a decent season next term, then we may well have found an unlikely successful manager for Newcastle, a diamond in the rough.

A coach who spent 14 years as an assistant, and as soon as he became the head man, found out that he was more than good at the job.

That’s what we are hoping of course, but Chris has made a brilliant start to his management career on Tyneside – and he is already a hero. 😀

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM

whats good about us now is we have a young hungry sqaud wich is excellent, i really beleive this year is the springboard to go on and be like a villa or everton

• NewcastleMole

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM

@Geordie-Gerrard7

We lack quality though.

• peterktoon

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM

• Dan4Toon

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM

for next year i would say:

out: Butt, Hall, Pancrate, Xisco, Sholaa, Best, Lualua, Smith, Ranger & Kadar (LOANED OUT) – might bring us about 6m altogether and about 200k a week saved in wages.

in: Van Aanholt (loan), Onouha, Wilson, O’hara, Larsson, Wickham, Rodallega. – that would come to about 22m i would say and would leave us with a squad of

Harper, Krul, Forster

Simpson, Onouah, S.Taylor Williamson, Coloccini, Wilson, Enrique, Van Aanholt

Routledge, Larsson, R.Taylor, Barton, Nolan, Guthrie, O’hara, Jonas

Carroll Rodallega Lovenkrands Wickham Vuckic.

• DJG

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Ed what do you think about Gateshead staying up in the blue square premier on goal difference. I think its brilliant, like a double celebration. They have plans to move into a new 9,000 seater ground near the civic centre.

• Ed Harrison

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

DJG – excellent!

• Nella

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I agree with NewcastleMole that we do lack Premier quality, but I think that the wholesale changes you mention Dan4Toon would disrupt the new found togetherness and dressing room harmony we have strived to build up, I still think that with Butts and Pancrates contracts being up if we could shift Xisco for any money whatsoever and possibly R.Taylor (don’t think anyone will match his £30000+ a week wages though ) I think with 5 of the right type of signing’s we’d hold are own in the Prmiership.

• Ericles

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I am pleased CH has said what he has. As expected there are those who have tried to put the dampeners on the great achievement of this season. Especially those histrionic and hysterical plastic pundits on Saturday Sky Sports. They put us down last year and look how wrong they were! They came out with their sour grapes again on Saturday – let us wait and see how wrong they can be again.