Andy Carroll All Set To Finish Off A Terrific Season

Andy Carroll hit his 19th goal of the season on Saturday, to put him one goal clear of Kevin Nolan, in the  Newcastle goal-scoring charts

Andy Carroll – proudly holds the CC Championship Trophy

Carroll told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It gives you the taste for more.” “It’s what everybody wants in the long run and hopefully there are more opportunities like that for us.”

“We know next season will be hard but every player and every team has goals and targets.”

“We got a taste of what St James’ Park can be like when the successful times are here.”  “And we want more of it.”

And Carroll was mobbed by fans after the game on Saturday, and found it rather hard, as a local lad and life-long Newcastle fan, to contain his emotions.

But why would he even try to on such a great occasion for the famous Newcastle United club?

Andy continued:

“It was the ultimate feeling for me so far in my career.” “As a young player, to get my hands on such a famous trophy is incredible.”

“We’ve been looking forward to it for such a long time and it was a feeling that didn’t disappoint anyone.”

“To do it in front of 52,000 fans was brilliant as well – they were exceptional.”

Andy Carroll has continued to score regularly for the Newcastle side this year particularly, and it’s something that Chris Hughton specifically wanted from the Gateshead-born star – more goals.

Let’s give Andy a lot of credit because he’s now scored 19 goals this season, and is looking more and more the real deal on Tyneside, and he will only get better next season.

Wiht one game to go at QPR next Sunday afternoon, we really hope Newcastle will not tail off, but instead will go all out to win that game, even if some fringe players are given a start.

Carroll continued:

“I’m up to 19 now, and needless to say I’m delighted with that with one game to go and the chance to get more.”

“Wayne (Routledge) put in a great ball for me and I just rose early and got my head on it.”

“Peter Lovenkrands had to duck out of the way for me, but it was great to see it hit the back of the net.”

“Wayne did really well to keep the ball in play and then put in such a good cross for me.”

“It’s another good assist for him and we’re delighted with what he’s done for us.” “It sums up what a great team spirit we’ve got.”

“He put his heart and soul into keeping the ball in.” “He was determined to keep the ball in and then he’s beaten the man and got the cross in.”

“It was an all-round good team goal.” “It was a bit disappointing to see them score in the last 30 seconds or so.”

“We just have to look forward to next week at Queens Park Rangers and get another three points.”

It would be nice if Andy could get to the 20 goal mark for the season on Sunday, and contribute to a Newcastle win, so we can get to 30 wins on the season and 100 points.

The way Andy has been playing and producing of late, we wouldn’t put it past him.

• Robby Bobson

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:58 PM

In the summer all he should do is stand in front of the goal and shoot with his right foot.

Sort that out, added to his immense (and i mean immense, his headers always seem like guided missiles) aerial threat and decent left foot, prem teams will be putting in game plans to deal with him every week.

• RetroBiscuits

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

If he keeps going the way he is, he will only get better and be the perfect replacement for Crouch at Euro2012, cos lets face it Crouch’s ball control is extremely poor.

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM

A lot of “pundits” reckon Carroll will be included in the next England squad and could even make the final team if there are injuries (Pearce is a big fan of his)

For me, he has been the real revelation of the entire team

1) We knew Nolan was good he just wasn’t showing it until this season

2) We all know Enrique is class and all he did was prove it again this season

But none of us thought Carroll would end the season with 19 goals. He had to step up to the plate this season and he did. Off the field antics need to be nipped in the bud but on the field he will be a nuisance to most defenders next season. An absolute cert for the number 9 shirt next season.

• DJG

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I would be surprised if a big club don’t come in for him at some point. I think he will stay though being a gateshead lad. He deserves the no.9 shirt for next season. Excellent 2nd half to this season a goal at QPR will be 20 in virtually half a season. He is a better header of the ball than probably any player I have ever seen and is one of our best defenders at corners. He flicks on so much in the air, we really need to sign a David Villa type striker that can exploit his flick ons fully.

• DJG

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM

He is a proper old fashioned no.9 as well! Not one of these fancy dans.

• G

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM

To be honest, I have said it before, and I will say it again, but Carroll looks like a player at his level in the Championship. I will gladly eat my words with a double helping of humble pie should he prove me wrong, but I think the quality of defending in the prem is so much better that he will strugle up there. I will gladly let him have time on the pitch to prove me wrong, as I would much rather have a local lad wearing the number 9 on the field, than some overpaid, overhyped foreign import.

• DJG

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM

G
    Considering Carrol’s progress this season and the fact that he is being talked up as a future England international I can’t really see him being a championship striker tbh. Premiership defenders will struggle with his aerial presence just the same as defenders in this league. If anything he will earn more free kicks and get more protection in the prem than this league. (Admittedly as well as giving more away). For me the idea that he wont get space and free headers in the prem is a myth. Just watch MOTD every week.

• G

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM

DJG, I hope you are right mate to be honest. I just try to get a mental image of Carroll up against Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manyoo defences and coming off best, and I just cant make it happen in my mind. To be honest though, if he can do it against Bolton, Wolves, Stoke etc I will be delighted with him and he will have exceeded my expectations.

• Howay The Lads

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

G
    I think you can be a bit more hopeful than that. I mean, he scored 3 goals in 14 games in the EPL last season, and he only played about 4 or 5 full games – pretty incredible strike ratio if you ask me. Also it was only really earlier on this season (around November) that he’s really come into his own and become real goal threat. So I have quite high expectations of Mr. Carroll, and think he can score up to 15 goals next season, depending on fitness and form.

• cupiddstunt

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

G I think you are getting a little mixed up about who and what the prem really is, yes you mention arse,n,hole, chelski, and manure but you appear to forget that there’s another 16 clubs whose defences are not as strong.

Personally I think the lad has such a good leap even those three defences will have their work cut out stopping him getting his head onto a ball, I think as a youngster having his first season in the prem he will do fine.

• Shot Bru

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Carroll has improved outta sight this season, his ability in the air was unquestionable but he seems to have sorted out his balance as the season has progressed and as a result has looked more composed in front of goal. Just shows you what an extended run in the 1st team can do for confidence with the backing of the manager and his team mates. I hope he continues his rapid progress and terrorises premiership defences next season.

• G

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Pretty certain I mentioned some of the lesser teams cupid? HTL you have a point, but I just don’t see Carroll being prolific in the Prem, but like I say, I will be more than happy to eat my words.

• oregonmag

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Remember that sometimes it takes taller, more powerful type strikers to develop and add goals to there game. Look up the scoring records of players like Crouch, Zigic, mario gomez, Jan Koller, and even Big Al and you see they don’t usually start scoring bags of goals until they are 21-23 years old (usually older the bigger they get). As far as I am concerned Andy is right on schedule and I have a hunch he could bag 15 next year with a little support!

• oregonmag

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM

* sorry, more time to develop