Nicky Butt – I Fell In Love With Newcastle Club And City

Nicky Butt will leave Newcastle in June when his contract runs out at the Tyneside club.

Nicky Butt – fell in love with Newcastle

And Nicky has said some good things about the club and the City after he announced he was leaving last Friday.  In fact Nicky has waxed lyrical about everything Newcastle.

This is what Nicky said today about Saturday’s celebrations:

“The emotion of it grabbed me – anyone who doesn’t get a bit emotional in that situation would be a weirdo,”

“It was a great day and I am happy it has ended this way. To go out there at the end and get the trophy was up there alongside everything else I have done.”

“I have enjoyed everything I’ve done in my career but out there on Saturday, that could have been the Champions’ League. You have got to enjoy it.”

“Getting relegated was the lowest point of my career. Last year was really bad and it was always in the back of our minds this season, it was terrible and we wanted to put it right.”

“We have got the club where we want it to be – and it is a massive thing for us.”

Of course Nicky Butt’s career didn’t get off to a good start when he arrived in the summer of 2004, as Bobby Robson was sacked within weeks of Nicky arriving on Tyneside,  and new manager Graeme Souness never seemed to rate Nicky.

Nicky went out on a season long loan to Birmingham in 2005-2006, and at that time they were managed by Steve Bruce, and they were relegated that season.

Indeed, a £2M fee had been agreed with Birmingham, and if Brum had survived in the Premier league that season, Nicky would have joined them.

But in the summer of 2006 Nicky came back to Newcastle, and it was Glenn Roeder who helped Nicky get his career back at Newcastle, and he’s really never looked back since then.

Nicky continued:

“This is a club in my heart, it grew that way,”  “It is an amazing city – a tight place where everyone adores the club.”

“It is a one city club and it is almost unique in the way everyone wears the shirts. You come to the ground and see women, kids, the whole family with their shirts on.”

“It is a way of life here, in the fabric and something that makes the city tick.”

“We have see a lot of that this year because we have been winning games. We have been out for meals and got pats on the back and people shaking our hands. I will always look at the results and I’ve already fixed up my tickets to come back next year.”

“You can’t go up thinking top six or top eight – they have to improve on what we have done. But it is important they don’t get too carried away,”

We think the fans will not get carried away too much for next season.

We have to stabilize the club back at the highest levels, and to do that we need to bring some good players in during the summer.

We are quietly confident we will be able to survive next year, but we’re not thinking of being back in Europe anytime soon.

• Ericles

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I would have thought there would be a place within hte coaching staff for Nicky Butt?

• Chris F

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM

a good player in his day, but has been treading water for a couple of seasons now. If he wants to get into coaching, I’d say he could definitely do a job working with the academy, or the younger lads in the squad as he comes across as a very professional guy and that’s the sort of attitude we need to foster at the club from an early age, to stop kids getting a couple of games then all of a sudden behaving as if they’re world class superstars.

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Nolan and CH said it was a pep talk by Nicky Butt in the summer that convinced a lot of the current players to stay and fight for the club.

For that above all other things he should be thanked.

• Macas35

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

He did more in his first 5 minutes yesterday then Guthrie did all game. Yes his legs were starting to go but it’s vital that we replace him for next season.

• G

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I have to admit it’s been obvious that he has been at the end of his playing career for a while now, but his contribution this season both on and off the pitch has been invaluable. I wouldn’t mind seeing him on the coaching staff at some point, after all, all that time he spent with the red faced sweaty sock must have taught him a thing or two.

• Geordie_Pants

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM

While he is not the greatest of the players, his contribution and attitude has been exceptional thus fully deserving many of the praises directed at him.

• Edd Case

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Considering I used to firmly belive that Nicky Butt was Fergie’s spy, I now find myself wanting to firmly shake his hand and thank him.

Terrific lad, true professional, honest and worked very hard for this club.

All the best Mr Butt.

• Brutooon

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM

if u felt in love with Newcastle City and Club, go retire and gave younger lads a chance.

good player good person

but remember, we sold speed and buy nicky butt. from that onwards we r moving down and down…