Andy Carroll Likely To Get England Call-Up

It’s always good to see some our young players make giant strides, and that’s just exactly what 21 year-old Andy Carroll has done this season.

Andy Carroll – tremendous progress this season

And the compliments are coming from none other than his manager Chris Hughton, who has skillfully guided the youngster this year, to his best ever season on Tyneside with 19 goals in the bag, 16 more than Andy managed last season, when he was still a bit player at the club.

This is what Chris told Newcastle United TV today about young Andy:

“What you want from any young player is to see an improvement over a period of time,”

There’s still more to come from Andy, I’m sure of that, but he has shown a lot of improvement this season and I couldn’t have asked for much more in recent months.”

“There are aspects of his game he needs to work on, and he knows that.”   “But this season, with the amount of games he’s played, would have done wonders for his confidence.”

“As a striker, of course, it’s goals that are your business. During the first half of the season he scored four, and we did ask for more after New Year.”

“His response has been brilliant and to have a tally now of 19 is fantastic.”   “It would be nice for him to get one more to reach 20, and I know he’ll want to do that.”

“He’s a young lad with a big future ahead of him and to be our top scorer at such an age would be a tremendous achievement.”

Chris is right as usual,  with Andy scoring 15 goals this year, and Peter Lovenkrands has been on the goals trail too, with 14 goals since the turn of the year.

There’s a belief that the first England squad named in August, following the World Cup in South Africa, will have Andy Carroll in it.

Both Stuart Pearce and England manager Fabio Capello have been extremely impressed with the lad’s progress in the England U-21 side, where he’s looked awesome in one or two of their games.

Of course Andy has been in too much trouble for his own good off the pitch over the last two years, but now that the experienced and mature Kevin Nolan has taken the lad under his wing, we have to think Andy will curb his ways, and become a model professional – just like Kevin.

We have tremendous faith in Kevin Nolan, who is one of the best things that’s happened to the Newcastle club for a long time, in our opinion.

Follow Kevin’s advice Andy, and you’ll not go too far wrong.

• toonsy

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I doubt it. Isn’t his court case around that time?

• boater

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM

under CH every player is showing us what they’re all about again, confidence, organisation and team spirit at SJP.. miraculous!?!?

I’d like to think you could add guthrie, s taylor and routledge to the list of potential call ups for after the WC – but then I’m biased.

I’d take nolan to SA in this form as back up for gerrard tbh.

• murvar

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Is it the case that Nolan has taken him under his wing? If so – I agree, there is no better mentor at the club, apart possibly from Steve Harper. Maybe he popped out from under the wing when he smashed Tayls’s jaw and then popped back in again.

• The Entertainers

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM

If Capello stays in charge (big if, can see him back at Madrid) then Carroll has a chance as he likes a big man, little man combo.

• BT7MAG

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Highly unlikely and IMO unwarrented.

Watch the BBC website for pundits choice of England Squad.

Bent got left out! I really hope we smash them next season and Collo marks him out of the game, but to be fair to him and Sunderland, he’s been class this season and deserves a place more than Heskey!

Carroll WILL make it into the squad eventually, but unless this run of imense form continues imediately, I can’t see it being for another 2 or 3 years.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Here’s on to think about, only 3 player in the bayern starting 11 they have spent money on. The rest are frees or come through youth system. That is what we should aim for.

• BASSKING-FUSE

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM

What the hell! this guy was a ledge

• Tom Mo.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Does anyone think the whole kit release with 300 fans thing was just a wind up? or is there verification that it was really going to happen? We’ve heard nothing about it in almost 5 days. (not different from the norm at newcastle, i know)

• The-Ciaran8

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM

the lad has talent no doubt , tbh its finding a striker to play with him

I mean any suggestion lads?

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM

albin would be excellant foil for carroll

• The-Ciaran8

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Yeh good point, you know who would have been good i mean i dont want him now hes a mackem but faizer campbell.

• BASSKING-FUSE

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM

solano arrested for rape

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

i really hope the solano thing is not true, i like frazier campbell i would still take him now, baptise him after going to the unwashed

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:21 PM

vuckic had another great game for the reserves

• bri_2k4

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM

me being me i would call up every english player in our squad haha noo but would like to see carroll is the squad and to be fair fabio would be mental not to call up bent he is on fire this year i havent seen heskey smash away 25 goals have you to tell you the truth i dont think heskey has ever scored 25 goals in a season but would roony and bent be a good partnership if they do play well together i could see alex nocking down the makems door

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

gotta get dorrans from wba west brom have just had a 4 mill bid rejected but willie mckay his agen said he is open to leaving. i think he would snap our hands off for a move here, it would also be close to his family north of the border

• GeordieBean

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

ill take dorrans any day 😀 😛

• rossrich

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I dont think it will matter too much who he plays with as long as he plays. Look at Walcott. Fantastic player but his progression stalled sitting on the bench at Arsenal. CH seems to have faith in him which is good.

• G

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM

No doubt I will take a right slagging off for this, but for some reason I just don’t see it with Carroll. I can’t even see him getting a regular game in the Prem. Everybody else seems to really rate him, but I just see him as a decent championship player and little else. For a big lad I think he could add a lot to his game, and he needs to get a grip of the temprement. I hope I am wrong about Carroll, I really would like to see him progress the way people seem to think he will, but I see it more as optimism rather than ability. I know he has scored 3 or 4 in the prem with us in the past, but I have seen other players look good for one or two seasons then dissapear into obscurity. Please prove me wrong Andy, I would love to see a local lead leading our line and banging in goals for fun.

• Newutd

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Dorrans will porbably be to pricey for us.

• Newutd

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

omg.

probably* too*

• Tom Mo.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM

we need to buy perch for 2.5-3 m

• Newutd

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I know Perch was good againt us, Tom Mo, but the rest of the season he has been mediocre/rather poor.

• Tom Mo.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:00 AM

ill take your word for it

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Perch was injured half the season, but when he come back he was forrests best player, but still dont Think we should sign him. If we were to sign anyone from the championship we should only sign 2, 3 at most. From the championship Id like miles Addison, graham dorrans and Charlie adam

• Ericles

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Rather Carroll than Heskey to wear an England shirt in SA.