Jason Roberts To Newcastle Would Be Poor Business

News early this morning that Chris Hughton is considering making a move for out-of-favour Blackburn striker Jason Roberts.

Jason Roberts – London-born Grenada striker

Roberts joined Blackburn from Wigan in 2006, and has played 157 times for Blackburn Rovers with 36 goals, and in his two seasons at Wigan,, whom he joined from West Brom, he played 60 times with 29 goals.

It appears that the 32-year-old Grenada international (22 caps, 12 goals), has just one year left on his contract, and has struggled to hold down a first-team spot under manager Sam Allardyce this season.

So we should really cut this discussion short and say there’s no way Chris should bring Jason to Newcastle – since we already have a number of strikers who would appear to be better than Roberts.

Andy Carroll, Peter Lovenkrands and Shola Ameobi are all good strikers, and we also have 19 year-old Nile Ranger coming through.

So bringing in Roberts would only impact the club bringing along young Nile Ranger,  which has already happened when we brought in the seemingly ordinary Leon Best in January.

If we are to bring in another striker this summer, it should be somebody who can start at the club – and not an older type player whose best years are behind him.

It seems that any player available, who has Premier League experience, will be a  Newcastle target – so expect us to be linked with almost every player that becomes available this summer – and yes you could ask – what’s new?

That’s what we think on Jason Roberts,  assuming this unlikely story has some truth to it, which is rather unlikely.

• Brutooon

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM

32 years old? ok NO THANKS

i rather play Ranger than him

• Darling27

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Ha Ha. Yet more tripe from the newspapers!!!

• danuneek

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I would rather stick Alan Smith back upfront.

• Dragonera

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I would sooner have him than Ameobi. Roberts is one of those players that don’t get the credit they deserve in the Prem. He is a real handful.

• ToonOsiris

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM

This sounds like a ridiculous idea – I would rather stick Tim Krul up front and beg Dennis Wise to come back as DoF 🙂

• DJG

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Daily Mail tripe.

I don’t know why you even bother to report on these Ed.

Yawwwn.

• DJG

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:03 AM

‘the 32-year-old Grenada international’

I thought that was itv studios. Or a dodgy old ford estate. lol

• DJG

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Or I would rather we bought a 32 year old ford granada.

That might be a better joke. 🙂

• Chris F

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:30 AM

dunno what’s more ridiculous, the fact that the mail thinks this is even close to ever happening, or that they class ameobi as a “young” striker.

welcome to silly season, people, we’re back in the prem.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:56 AM

i would rathr put the fat man mike ashley up front in a toon kit…lol

• rossrich

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM

My Gran could do a better job than him upfront. And she’s dead.

• Charlietoon

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Its a tough mix. We all want players who can come into the first team but not players that stop the development of our younger squad members. This is a tricky balance but this guy holds no interest for me and I hope not for the team. Too old and no sell on value what so ever

• baro

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Hey guys does anybody know the excact date and the new kits are coming out? Cant wait?

• Rotonda heights

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:29 AM

ALBIN = the new beardo. Only 23, plays in the hole, has great vision and skill just what we need, not more journeymen like Roberts.

We need to cut our losses on Best too. Why on eath didn’t we use the Best money on Moses ? Moses is a real game changer.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM

“Hughton, who has a limited budget at his disposal, views the experienced marksman as the perfect foil for young strikers Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi.”

Shola, young? What a load of BS. Daily Mail Couldn’t get things right even if they wanted to..

• fongct

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Hughton said we had 2 list of targets, one for championship and one for PL

may be he is in the list of championship

I dont believe it is true and hope it is not

IF we really go for him, all I can say is Hughton might only have a very small budget that he rather not spend it on strikers

• Tom Mo.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:12 AM

according to the sun (having a laugh) all west ham players except parker are up for sale

• GeordieMeerkat

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Is it silly season already?

There’s also a supposed swap deal on the cards, Stevie Taylor for Puyol.

• Tom Mo.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM

HA!!!

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM

How about a bid for MATTHEW UPSON?

He’s up for sale and a Centre Back Bunch to choose from of : TAYLOR, COLOCCINI, UPSON and WILLIAMSON would make us very strong in defense

As for this story we will be linked to lots of “Has Beens” by the media because that used to be our transfer policy. Yesterday Guilly, now Roberts, tomorrow somebody else. All utter media nonsense. And don’t have a pop at ED, it’s his job to tell us who we are being linked to so we can discuss it. That’s the whole point of his excellent blog.

• Chris F

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM

@Steve_48: Hope that’s not true, but I’m not surprised he’s got himself in bother because he was always out in town shagging about when he played for us.

I remember one time in Sea him and Bellamy tried to ‘proposition’ my flatmate, but she was having none of it!

• Chris F

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

James: Christ, not Upson. Most overrated centre half to ever pull on an england shirt. Waste of money. I think we should see if Man City are willing to let Onuoha or Richards go as they’re bound to be getting rid of a few players this summer to make room for the inevitable influx of new players.

• Johno Toon

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I was just about to post that tom mo! I have never heard more bs in my whole life than that story , wonder if any papers will pick it up!

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM

@Chris F – not sure Richards has the right attitude to be living in the toon. He’s said to be a bit of a bling boy that parties a lot, hence why Capello no longer picks him.

We already have Barton and Carroll lurking in the background for off the field antics, I don’t want another.

But yeah Onuoha is very good option.

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM

As for the Barca swap deal we all know its nonsense but IF it did happen, we’d have the biggest perm-haired defence in history!

• milburn

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Calling Mr Hughton- Look no further than this boy- Jeremaine Lens 23 years old and hes got the lot. Plays for AZ aalkmar who apparently arent in the best financial health, 23 years old and wont be earning a fortune.

• Solaidback

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I’d rather have Harewood back instead of Roberts, at least Harewood is only 28…. 🙁

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM

My cousin is a Man Utd fan, and he said all their blog sites are rife with rumours that Mike Ashley is bidding £18 million for Berbatov and has personally been to Old Trafford recently to begin talks.

Lots of Man Utd fans are talking about it at the mo

• lesh

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Newcastle are also believed to be interested in Hull midfielder Jimmy Bullard but are wary of both his fitness record and £50,000 a week salary. Link below.

Speculation over Bullard is absolute madness especially when one considers he’s over age, said to be on £45k pw and more to the point, his legs have been described by the Hull chairman as “uninsurable” due to proneness to injury!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1269145/Newcastle-Wolves-set-transfer-battle-5m-rated-Hull-midfielder-Stephen-Hunt.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0mIGGaRi8

Berbatov to SJP for £18m? I’ll believe that when I see it happen!!

• magpie6699

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Newcastle linked with David Beckham!
    (Well I’ve just linked them – does that count?)

• lesh

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Steve_48 @14… Nobby?

• del

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Harewood is 30

• milburn

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM

if all the west ham squad are available how abut faubert ? can play right back or right midfield and then get shot of ryan taylor to hartlepool

• Johann

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Haha Dragon, exactly what I was thinking when I read this article. If Ameobi would not be so lazy he would be a fantastic striker but I´d have Roberts over him. So if they sell Ameobi i´m willing to take Roberts in. I actually thought he was one of the best strikers in the premiership in his first season with Wigan. I´d like to have him here but at the same time I´d like Ranger and Carroll to get a lot of playing time as well. Those two together up front would be a real handful.

• salsa

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I couldn’t disagree more! If you believe for 1 second that Ameobi or Carroll are better than Jason Roberts then you are totally deluded! Jason Roberts is an awesome target man and considering Ameobi’s first touch is worse than my mothers I would welcome Roberts into our squad. Nile Ranger should gain experience out on loan, I feel that he is going to be a great striker in a few years but right now he needs first hand experience of playing football. As for Lovenkrands he offers you pace which is always useful, he scores goals as does Carroll who hasn’t really had a chance at the top level yet but if we’re to stay up we need options, don’t get me wrong I think we could get someone who’s better than Roberts but he’s a cheap option who would offer very good backup but in my opinion he would start alongside Lovenkrands but you guys obviously don’t feel the same.