I Want To Be Shining Light To People Who Messed Up – Barton

Joey Barton seems all ready to put his career back on track in the Premiership next season with the returning Newcastle United.

Joey Barton – still loved by Newcastle fans

Since joining Newcastle in the summer of 2007, Joey has been injured seriously three times, and has only appeared 46 times (33 starts) for the Magpies with 3 goals over those three seasons.

We are hoping Joey can stay fit and hopefully start producing for the Tyneside club, that has been very loyal to him over the last three seasons.

Barton told the Daily Star today:

“As a player, it’s been a tough year, but, as a person, it’s been a good one, a bloody good one,”

“I am quite happy with my life right now and the people involved in it and that will be great for Newcastle because a happy Joey Barton is a decent player.”

And of course we all know of the troubles Joey has had off the field, and he was jailed for an incident in December of 2007, for assault and battery, while he was a Newcastle player.

That incident was clearly caught on CCTV cameras and was an embarrassment not only to Joey, but to the Newcastle United club too.

But Joey could be a changed man these days, and he’s certainly looked a happy man since he returned from injury a few weeks back:

“I’m aware that because of things that have happened, there will always be a target painted on my back,”

“When you have been through the trials and tribulations I have, you come out of it one of two ways. You either completely break down and self-implode or you say, ‘Yeah, I’ve screwed up, but there is a chance to come back’.”

“It’s about me finding things to fill out spaces and that makes me more productive as a person and once I am fit and get a sustained run in the team, more productive on the pitch, too.”

“A lot of kids won’t look at the Beckhams and the Owens as role models. Maybe they’ll look at Joey Barton and think, ‘He made lots of mistakes, he went to jail and he came back’.”

“That’s what drives me on – to be a shining light to people who messed up.”

Those are good words from Joey, and there have been glimpses this season that  Joey has indeed matured, and we have to hope he keeps off the drink, and concentrates only on his football career in the seasons ahead.

Most of the Newcastle squad will be looking forward to next season, after putting in a  magic season to get the club out of the Championship at the very first attempt.

And we have to remember  when pre-season starts, the lads will not only have new Puma strips, but new training gear too. Let’s hope the club will introduce the new strips this week – since the wait is starting to get too long.

Joey continued:

“Yeah, you could say I’ll enjoy this summer a bit better than the last two,”

“Twelve months ago, we were relegated and I didn’t know what the future held for me, and two years ago I knew I was facing prison.”

“That was scary and even now I wonder how I got through it. The flip side is that it was my own fault and I got what I deserved.”

“I took the punishment on the chin and have tried to become a better man since. For some people that will never be enough, but today I am satisfied with who I am and the journey I’ve had to take.”

It’s now up to Joey to learn from his mistakes and problems of the past, which were all self-inflicted after all.

But the vast majority of fans seems to be in Joey’s corner now, and only want to see him become a star for Newcastle, and from what we’ve seen of Joey these last few weeks, that’s exactly what he could become next season – he’s been playing extremely well.

It’s now completely up to Joey, as to what happens with his career on Tyneside – as it always has been of course.

• Ericles

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Sounds like he means it. After all he is going to be a NUFC player next season – and one who can make a good contribution. He has what we need for the Premiership and wants to play for us too.

• sahota

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM

He is no doubt a good player. If he really thinks as he said in interview then we can look forward to next season and found rebirth of Barton. If he can put performances on pitch, no doubt he will make real difference. Looking forward to next season.

• nuttyward

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM

joey will never find a better place to play football he could well be the bit flair and play maker we need ,watching him in our last few games his attitude does seem 100% better the fans will always stick by there players as long as they give there all for the mags

• lesh

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Sounds as though Joey’s seen the light.

However, when he’s with his team-mates in-season, there’s a lot of peer pressure on him to keep on the straight and narrow.

The summer’s coming and soon he’ll be off the leash as it were and whilst he sees an opportunity to “enjoy this summer a bit better than the last two”, it’s very much up to him whether it is a trouble-free one.

He’ll have to exert a great-deal of self control and humility to cope with the temptations, the sniping an baiting that’ll face him.

Has Joey got that will to survive and develop into a real role model for kids?

That’s very much up to him and for sure, it won’t be easy for him.

Let’s wish him well in his rehabilitation and look forward to an older and wiser player next season.

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Ashley has tried to sell him twice (last Jan being the latest). KK stopped that one.

And I still believe if somone comes up with a reasonable bid (£6 million) then Ashley will get rid of Barton with no hesitation.

We pay him £3.5 million per year in wages and gave him a full salary of £65K a week the whole time he was in prison.

It is good to see someone try and turn a corner (after 7-8 last chances) but to be brutally frank Joey, there is nothing you could do to make up for the disgrace you put this club through.

Having a good season or scoring a few goals in the PL is the very least we expect. How do you honestly atone for your career highlights of:

1) Putting a lit cigar into a players eye causing permanent eye damage

2) Throwing your waste food at a newcastle kid who asked you for your autograph last year

3) Punching a man unconscious

4) Going to jail and saying you had no regrets about it

I know people on here think he is a good player and that Barton deserves YET ANOTHER chance. But to be honet, I would rather he was someone elses problem.

• Davies

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I look at it this way; he’s our player, let’s use him.

I was one of many who wanted him out of the club when he was being a pain in the arse and continually dragging the club’s name through the mud, but he’s still here.

If he’s here and he wants to have a crack at, let him get on with it. I doubt he’ll get an more chances.

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

The other thing about Barton is that CH and others have worked so hard to repair our image as a football club, but the minute Barton has another one of his “incidents” the media will absolutely crucify us.

Are their players of similiar ability available in his price range? Yes, of course there are, so why take the risk with him?

• nuttyward

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM

davies your spot on mate hes a toon player with talent and loads ov it i honestly think hes grown up now ,wots the point in getting on his back .
    i have every faith in him

• Whumpie

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I’m really hoping to be proven wrong, and so far so good with Joey. If he now comes back and delivers world-class performances with no ‘incidents’ then I’ll eat my words and be happy for him.

But I still think that he won’t resist antagonising opposition players, and the first time someone winds him up it’ll be back to the old ways.

If I was Ashley and I got a decent offer, I’d take it. As someone has said, you can get better for less outlay, so why have the risk?

BUT there will be no offers, so all we can do is hope Joey keeps going in the right direction. Come on fella – make me eat my words; it would indeed be a great example if you can pull it off.