Nicky Butt Is Such A Top Notch Professional

Nicky Butt is leaving Newcastle on a high note, after helping the club back to the Premiership, at the very first attempt.

a

Nicky Butt – celebrating with his kids last Saturday
Where did his daughter get that BIG medal from?

Nicky has often talked about what he felt like during the summer, when he said he was ashamed of what happened last season.

The proud Tyneside club was finally relegated on the last day of the season, for the first time from the Premiership, and yet we still had the 4th largest wage bill of the 20 PL clubs.

As it turns out we were just pipped by a single by a hopeless Hull City side, who have been subsequently relegated this season.

Butt talked to the Evening Chronicle today about the current side, which he thinks will do well next season:

“We’ve got enough good players in the team to go and do well next year.” “We’re obviously going to look for different players to improve the squad.”

“We won’t get too carried away.” “We’ll take it as it comes, and just try and stay in the Premier League and build on that.” “That’s the most important thing.”

Because of his vast experience, good work ethic and excellent character, Nicky will be in big demand this summer, and the likelihood is he will join Ipswich Town and Roy Keane, and try to to do what he did this season at Newcastle – get his side promoted.

Because of his outstanding character and standing in the game,icky can still do a job for a Championship side bent on promotion, or a PL side looking to survive next season.

Butt however says he is thinking about nothing else at the moment, but getting all 3 points at Loftus Road against QPR this coming Sunday afternoon, when all Championship teams play their last game of the season, and kick off at the same time .

Butt continued:

“I’m going to go away on holiday, and if I want to retire, I’ll retire, and if I want to play on or coach, I can try and do that as well.”

“There’s no rush to decide what I want to do.”  “I want to get the game out of the way on Sunday, and then I’ll see what I want to do.”

And because of the sheer emotion of it all, and the fanatical Toon Army support this season, when Newcastle’s crowds of around 43,000 average at home are still the 4th largest in England, Nicky still ranks winning the Coca Cola Championship trophy with Newcastle up there with winning the European Cup, back in 1999,  with Manchester United.

Nicky added:

“We’re all proud and happy with promotion. We feel we deserve it, and it’s something we’re going to enjoy.”

“As I’ve said before, it’s up there with anything I’ve done – from winning the Youth Cup to the Premier League and Champions League. “

“You’re happy you’ve won, and when you go out there in front of all those people, it’s amazing.”

“I can’t think of a better way to go out than to help the lads to promotion. It’s a lovely way to go out.” “It’s the highlight of my career at Newcastle.”

“There have been ups and downs, but I’ve had a great six years here.” “There have been disappointments – like relegation – but at the end of the day I’ve enjoyed my time immensely.”

Nicky has been great for Newcastle, after a difficult first two years at the club, but he has come through big time.

And even though the 35 year-old hasn’t played as much this year,  by all accounts he’s still been a massive presence at the club and in the dressing room, and you never know, maybe Nicky will return to Tyneside one day as a coach.

We hope so – it’s always good to have goo0d men back at Newcastle.

• Turkish Magpie

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Could anyone give me a list of the players who got a medal on saturday?

• The_Legend_Of_Jonas

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Why does Nicky Butt’s boy look like Phil Neville?

• pearceet

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Interesting to see that Best got a medal. (from the photo)

Turkish
    As would I would be interesting to see who missed out

• Rodzilla

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

….despite the fact that he couldn’t hit the proverbial bovine posterior with a banjo, can’t knock the lad for his commitment. Some good words from the Jinja Ninja. Fair play Nicky.

• toonboyjake

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM

turkish i think every single player on the podium got one so whether there was special dispensation or replicas were made i dont know

• Tom Mo.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:00 AM

dont know if someone said it already, but apparently george caulkin tweeted that the away kit is blue and the 3rd kit is all white…or somethin like that

• Edd Case

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Who the hell is George Caulkin?

Surely the shirts would leaked online by now?

We playing in the nod next year.?

• Edd Case

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Dont worry, I looked…

Blue away kit? Sounds nice but to be honest, a really bright yellow strip works better.
    Not the god awful one we have now but it’s been proven that really bright colours are easier to see.

Bet it’ll be a nice one though.

And I love the idea of a white third strip

• Ericles

Apr 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I still believe that Nicky Butt should be promoted to our coaching staff in some role. He does have a professional attitude that could add much to the club. Has he said where he sees his future? He likes Newcastle a lot he says. Well?
    Why not stay with us? How about it CH – give him a job?

• Chris G

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM

@Ericles – it sounds like he hasn’t yet decided on his future, and will spend the summer reviewing his options

I think it’s quite likely that he would be offered some sort of coaching role at the club, but it would involve a massive drop in wages (I believe CH is only being paid about 5k a week!)

If he were to be offered a one year playing contract by a team like Ipswich, I expect they would offer him a lot more money than that!

He’s got a young family to support, so his head is probably telling him to play on for another year. But from what he’s been saying, it looks like his heart is still with Newcastle

If he does decide to stay, it would be a good indication of how much he really does like this club