Newcastle To Play Monk In Midfield Next Season

The 27-year-old Joey Barton has become very truthful lately, as he has talked the brutal truth about himself – and we have to applaud him for that.

Joey Barton with Shola on Saturday – lives like a month

Joey has today talked about how he lives like a monk these days in the Newcastle city center.

This is what Joey told the Daily Star today:

“Some people can handle their ale. I can’t do that,”

“The reason I can’t drink is because I cannot legislate for what is going to happen.”I don’t have responsibility for my actions when I drink and I can’t afford to make the same mistakes again.”

“Staying off alcohol keeps me out of places where you are likely to find trouble.”

“A wise man once said to me, ‘Keep going to the barbers and you’ll eventually get a haircut’. That’s true, so if I’m not out drinking in nightclubs, the risks of getting into bother are greatly reduced.

“I live a monk-like existence flitting between the training ground and the golf course and have a bit of interest in horse racing.”  “But I’m aware that because of things that have happened, there will always be a target painted on my back.

“When you have been through the trials and tribulations I have, you come out of it one of two ways. You either completely break down and self-implode or you say, ‘Yeah, I’ve screwed up, but there is a chance to come back’.”

There’s nothing wrong with not being able to take alcohol, as long as you stop taking it, so you don’t get into problems.

And we noticed during the celebrations last Saturday,  Joey didn’t have a bottle in his hands,  although others like Kevin Nolan and Chris Hughton were downing some champagne from those rather big bottles. 😀

It’s something Joey will need to confront of course for the rest of his life unfortunately – but we like the fact he’s talking openly about it, because that will only help him.

Communicating about the problems you have, will always help you.

Keep it up Joey.

• ToonArmy

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM

That’s good news. After all, he has been living on really fat paychecks so it’s about time he repay us with some good performances next season!

• Toontastico

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM

once Joey stays injury (& booze!) free he can be our main man next year. He can pass, create & tackle and has a good box to box engine. would love to see him and guthrie play together in the middle together.

• stjames

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM

This is good news, good for him good for us.

But Ed: When you say Barton unfortunatly has to stay sober for the rest of his life you´r wrong. Life without alcohol is no torture. On the contrary many common blunders and mistakes tend to disappear when you stop drinking. That’s a fact.

So all the best for Joe whom I´ve judged harshly in the past.

• G

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Another missleading headline Ed, I thought we had signed somebody called Monk?

• Robby Bobson

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Monk is a ball playing centre back for Swansea….reckon he would fair well in midfield to be fair.

• brownrob

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I havent touched drink in 5 years and it is not a problem.

I don’t see the attraction to it though, I only ever got drunk because that is what everyone else did! Drink loosens your control on things, how is that a good thing?

You can have a good time without it, and good for Joey to come out and say it!

• stk85

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM

yea well done joey. looks like he may have got rid of his biggest demon and that is to be commended, whatever circle of life you’re from

• Rotonda heights

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:15 AM

lives like a month – which one – May December , January !!!