Newcastle Pursue 19 Year-Old French Midfielder

The Sunday Sun is reporting today that Newcastle have had an interest for over a year in 19 year-old French midfielder Plaisir Bahamboula.

Newcastle scouts are understood to have been in Paris yesterday to check out teenage French striker Plaisir Bahamboula, who playing for Sochaux against Metz in the final of the Gambardella Cup, at the Stade de France.

The Gambardella Cup is similar to England’s FA Youth Cup, and there were apparently lots of scouts present to check out the youngsters.

And it seems that Newcastle have been trailing this player for at least a year, at least according to the youngster himself.

Bahamboula said:

“I was very interested by England, and it remains my favourite destination because it is the championship I like most.”

“Newcastle came to see me play at Wembley at an international game in which I shone and scored.” “They also repeatedly spoke to my family.”

Obviously if Newcastle sign the youngster he will be one for the future, but it seems the club’s scouting network is keeping tabs on lots of players, and this is the first time we’ve been linked publicly with Bahamboula.

We cannot find too much information about this player, since he still seems to be part of the Youth set- up at his club, but he is listed as a midfielder on the Sochaux web-site.

Plaisir was born on 8th January, 1991 in Corbeil and it appears that Manchester City are also interested in the youngster.

If there are any French readers who know about this player let us know what he’s like – but we know he has played for the French U18 side.

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Good to see we have scouts doing their job.
    I think we have to move away from the ” for the future ” tag. Everywhere you look , people like Macheda, Rafael, Denilson, Rose et al are getting a foot in the door now. We have to lose our fear of giving them a chance.

• Newutd

May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Agree with you Rotonda. Let’s hope we can start today with giving Vuckic some playing time.

• Tom4Nufc

May 2, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I do to a degree disagree with both of you. The point is that the ‘people like Macheda, Rafael, Denilson, Rose et al’ are all getting chances at teams that are European contenders, so there isn’t as much pressure for these youngsters to come and play in the team on the whole. Yes you will say Macheda vs Aston Villa last season, Danny Rose vs Arsenal this season, but they have been given time in the first team before to develop and get used to the pressure. We can’t just go throwing in Youngsters at the deep end of things next season especially if its a high pressure scrapping for our lives situation.

Now I think CH has done a fantastic job although I think that we have missed a trick in the last few games since we knew we had clinched promotion as in my opinion we should have given our youngsters a run-out in a low pressure environment.

So, yes I do want our youngsters to be given a chance next season, but all I am saying is we can’t expect them to get as much playing time as the likes of United/Arsenal/Spurs/Everton etc who are certainty’s to survive.

• Newutd

May 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Ok, so what about our neighbours then? They sure can afford to play some youngsters. Jordan Henderson and David Meyler have played alot. We most definitely can’t play them all the time, but the ones who prove themselves in the reserves and u18 should get some minutes in a match now and then.

• tdt

May 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM

6 changes 2 to the team

• Tom4Nufc

May 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I understand that, I was just saying lets not expect them to play a large amount of time. I would be happy giving the likes of Donaldson, Vuckic, and the rest the last 15-20 mins of games as long as we are in a comfortable position although I think that won’t happen often next season as its not often anybody is comfortable in the Premier League!

Also one thing I am completely against is the treatment of LuaLua, he played fantastically in the reserves, youth squads, even well for Brighton this season. I think he should have been here all season and given a chance to shine because whenever I have seen him play I always think he has got something about him and could make it. I think for the lad he needs to leave in the summer for his own good/development although its a shame we haven’t fully utilised the talent there. 🙁

• baro

May 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Sign all the young guns we can find that are talented. ( Newcastle have been interested in him over a year ) But we never heard in the news before?

• Solaidback

May 3, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Well next season, if we’re losing 3-0, then you can give the younguns a chance as there’s no way we’ll pulled back 3 goals against a PL outfit, so thats the time when you lets these young players have a go….. also if we’re winning 3-0 but at present, the chances of that happening are few & far between imo….