Hughton Ready To Step Up – Praises Mike Ashley

Chris Hughton has a lot of work to do this summer, as he looks to strengthen his playing squad in addition to bringing in more people to his coaching and scouting staff.

Chris Hughton – strengthening playing, coaching and scouting staff

Hughton seems to be fairly content with the basic squad he has in place at Newcastle right now, and will add a few good players in the summer:

“We know it is a big step up from this season, but we believe we have the nucleus of a side who can compete in that division,”

“It’s going to be difficult but I’m up for the challenge and have complete confidence in my ability and that of Colin Calderwood and the staff and players.”

“We have come through a tough time together and I think we’ll be better for it next season.” “Our aim is to become a permanent fixture in the Premier League.”

“But we know we will be in a better and tougher league and we won’t underestimate the task we face.”

Chris will meet with Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias next week to discuss a number of issues, including his transfer targets, in additions to expanding his coaching and scouting staff, as well as his own contract talks with the owner.

We have to expect that Chris’ contract will be significantly improved for next season in the Premiership.

And Chris seems to have had no bother from owner Mike Ashley as he has praised him for his full support this season:

“It’s testament to the owner that he kept a good enough squad for us to be able to compete. He decided he was going to keep a squad that was good enough to get us back up.”

“He put me in charge on a temporary basis to start with and I felt that was the right decision. It would have been wrong to bring in someone completely new. It was best to have someone who knew the players.”

“At that stage the players were hoping for a little bit more continuity, and I think the fact that I was remaining at the club helped.”

“I was satisfied early on that the foundations the owner had provided were good enough to get us promotion.”  “Slowly but surely we began to feel good about ourselves and the early results gave us a momentum which we never lost.”

“Now, as we look forward to our Premier League return, I’m confident that we are in good shape.”

Newcastle fans seem to still be distrustful of Mike Ashley, after his massive mistakes in the last two years of his ownership almost decimated the Tyneside club.

We have to hope that next season the lads can hold their own in the Premiership, and that some of our younger players will continue to improve as they have done this season.

Then we’ll be in very good shape next year at this time to push on, and maybe even be in a position to launch an attempt to get back into European competition.

• Geordie_Pants

May 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I for one really want to see Hughton succeed at Tyneside, however after a few defeats next season I will probably start sharpening my knife unfortunately. I just hope that we all give him the time needed to make this side successful.

• G

May 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I had my doubts, the guy has done no wrong so far, so lets give him his crack at this. After all, current opinion is that the lad has at least ten inches.

• Johann

May 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Major doubts about him. He just fails to give youngsters their chance. Vuckic didn´t even start though this was an absoloutly meaningless game. What message does that send? Oh men. The future is not bright with him at the wheel, i´m sure of that.

• baro

May 3, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Johann

Agree with you m8. Most of the youngsters should of got more chances. Like our rising star (Or the worlds rising star according to reports) should of got more chances. But, than he was injured for nearly 3-4 months. But, the other hand we should of played him vs Ipswich. They Ipswich played with their 17 year old Connor Wickham and he scored. They are not scared, but I guess we are. We already had promotion and most of the championship in our hands. Tamas Kadar should of got more chances. Williamson and Hall, only 1 of them should of came, not both. Give young Kadar a chance. Nile Ranger should of played more and not Leon Best. Ranger is about 4-5 years younger, and better. He at least scored for us this year. Best scored 10 for Coventry but cant score anything for us. Give them a chance.

• baro

May 3, 2010 at 3:28 AM

• ginkoh

May 3, 2010 at 4:42 AM

I don’t know how much Hughton have to success to make the fans keep happy because you know? Newcastle Utd Supporter is the most expect the worst supporter in the world. And maybe just win is not enough for someone. Come on guys, look on the bright side. Hughton already do his best (I don’t think it can be better) this season. Although next season will be hard and long season for us.

I just hope we’ll stick with players, team and manager when we face the bad period of time in PRM (surely we will). I just proud to be Newcastle supporter and I’ll support Newcastle evermore next season. Howay the lads !

• Rotonda heights

May 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I am just fearful that a lot of kids will walk due to not getting playing time. Hughton does seem to have this fear factor like when he played Butt and Smith together at leicester when they had gone down to 10 men.

• Chris G

May 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

baro – I wouldn’t read too much into that tribalfootball article, mate. It was the French Cup Final, after all, so I’m not surprised that we had scouts at the game. There could have been any number of players that they were checking up on, but I doubt whether the Monaco goalkeeper was one of them

We’ve already got two great prospects in Krul and Forster, and it would be stupid to risk losing one or both of them by signing another keeper at this stage. These young lads need to know that they’ve got a future at this club, and signing another keeper would send out completely the wrong message

• Ericles

May 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I agree with Johann. If we fail to play and use Vukic and others we will lose them to other clubs. Up to you CH! I am prepared to give CH time and patience and praise his achievements but I will NEVER, NEVER trust the fat controller!