Chris Hughton has once again come out and praised his troops for what has been a record shattering season for the revitalized and rejuvenated Newcastle United Football Club.
Chris Hughton – holding the Championship Trophy
This is what Chris Hughton told the official site:
“If you’re breaking records and setting records like we seem to have done all season then you’re doing something right,”
“It seems that each week I was being made aware of a new club record that we’d achieved and, while the only thing that ultimately mattered was promotion, it was nice to be told of these records and to get that recognition.”
“To get the 100 points was a particularly pleasing way to finish the season. We could have taken our foot off the gas three or four games ago, but these lads have shown great professionalism and commitment and that is why we haven’t been beaten since February.”
“The clean sheets are testament to a real team effort but special credit must go to Steve Harper. He’s been outstanding for us this season and I think it is fitting that he’s the goalkeeper who will take his place in the history books.”
We saw Lee Ryder’s article in his Blog On The Tyne – and he said Chris was like a breath of fresh air this season, and that’s an accurate way to describe Chris Hughton – who seems such an honest, modest man and a straight shooter.
We cannot detail all the records and achievements at Newcastle have this season but here’s a try:
- Top of the Championship with 102 points, winning the league by 11 points and by 23 points over the 3rd placed side – unbelievable
- Undefeated at home all season – to equal a record set in the 2006-2007 season by the League One Champions
- Most wins in The Championship – 30
- Fewest Defeats in the Championship – 4
- Chris Hughton has won Championship Manager of The Month Award 4 times
- Kevin Nolan was been voted Championship Player Of the Season and Player of the Month for April
- Shola Ameobi was Championship Player Of The Season for last August
- Four Players in Championship Team of the Year – Coloccini, Enrique, Nolan and Carroll
- Most goals scored in one half in the Championship – 6 against Barnsley
- Most goals scored in the Championship – 90
- Fewest goals conceded in the Championship – 35
- A Newcastle club record 22 clean sheets in any league season
- Our players are the most handsome in the Championship 😀
As Chris said – we must have been doing something right – and we are so very proud of the Newcastle players and coaches this year.
Comments very welcome.