Danny Simpson Looks To Improve On Tyneside

There’s nothing that Danny Simpson would like better than to be the Newcastle United right back – for many seasons to come.

Danny Simpson – thinks he can improve next season

The former Manchester United defender told the Evening Chronicle:

“I wanted to prove people wrong.” “You can be that promising young lad who never makes it or puts a stamp on his career.”

“Chris gave me the opportunity, and I’ve got to thank him for that.” “Hopefully, I’ve repaid him and he’s glad he made the decision to buy me.”

“I feel good. I feel like I’ve got stronger and improved throughout the season.” “I just want to keep doing that.”

Simpson had been on many loan deals, including at Royal Antwerp, Sunderland, Ipswich Town and Blackburn Rovers, before he even arrived on loan at Newcastle last August.

While Danny has always looked a decent player, conventional wisdom suggests he has to improve to become a regular Premiership player next season for Newcastle.

Indeed, one position we fully expect Chris Hughton to strengthen during the summer is right back,  to give Danny some competition next season.

Simpson continued:

“The first six months at Blackburn, I played and did pretty well.”   “Obviously Sam Allardyce came in, and he didn’t really fancy me, but that’s football.”

“After that there were question marks about whether people would take me, and whether I was going to be good enough.”

“Chris gave me a chance, and I’ve obviously got to thank him.” “I’ve got to just keep progressing and doing well for Newcastle.”

“Knowing your manager’s got faith in you gives you that confidence on a Saturday to go and play.”   “He’s helped me since day one, and I feel I’ve got stronger.”

This has to be a great chance for the 23 year-old to really have his career take off on Tyneside, and we think Danny is good enough and can improve enough to become the regular right back on Tyneside – but it’s completely up to him.

Simpson’s attitude – like a lot of players on Tyneside right now – is just excellent and down to earth, and all this lad wants to to do is improve and play for the Newcastle club.

Simpson  added:

“I’m still young, and I’ve still got a lot to learn.”

“I hope I come back strong for pre-season, and have another good season.” “I want to improve.”

Danny is another Newcastle player who seems like he just cannot wait for next season to begin.

• G

May 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Simpson is often vilified by some of the fans, and honestly, he’s nowhere near as bad a player as he is often made out. I do think there is a lot more to come from him, but frankly, he hasn’t really done much wrong since he came here.

• andoni

May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I think so. He’s young and talented. If we see other English teams, there are no very good right-back players. This is why we have to keep him in the team.

• Newutd

May 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Any right backs out there available and talented enough to immediately to take Simpsons place?

• henok

May 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Obviously Sam Allardyce came in, and he didn’t really fancy me, but that’s football.”…well cause ur not an epl classed player …and ya many epl teams have good right back…Gosling,corluka,zabaleta,Milciot,caros celular,bird, fabuert,Zubar….I can go all day but my point is simpson is going to be the next celestine babyaro ….in RB

• Ericles

May 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM

He says he is still young and still wants to improve. Well he is honest and I think we will do well to keep him.

• countrylad14

May 6, 2010 at 2:48 PM

@henok

Do you not think your being a tad harsh on the lad? Yes maybe he isnt the best right back in the world but he has done a good job for us this season. I certainly dont think that Allardyce thinking he wasnt good enough to play in the prem says anything either all that probably means is that he aint tall enough for his long ball shite tactics.

I do think we need to bring in another right back as compertition for simpson but i still think he needs to be given a chance to prove people like yourself wrong and i for one hope he does!

• Macas35

May 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM

He’s an average player but will be useful as backup, nothing more.

• sjc07

May 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Danny is pretty solid and is good going forward which is what premier league football is about. Let’s be honest talented right backs are seldom and we don’t seem to have much cash. We always have Taylor who can slot in at right back, but we are going to struggle to find a significantly better player than Simpson without money. I am worried that some fans are quick to jump on Danny’s back in games, I was at QPR and he got unfair stick I feel, when in truth the team as a whole was poor and in holiday mode.

• peterktoon

May 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Ed hope I you’ll will write an article about how good friends the players are

• cgrizzly87

May 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Wor Danny needs people to ease up and give him the chance to develop, this is the first season he has played for just 1 club!

If he isn’t any better in 2 years then yes ship him out, but jeez give him a chance. His attitude is right unlike the Babayaros of days gone by.

FYI – what Sam Allardyce knows about football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzp1Wt3tkU

• wickywoowoo

May 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Danny Simpson seems to have been chosen as the go to guy to abuse for no reason.

Nolan’s goals mean he is out of bounds now and Butt has left, so who else is left to abuse? Danny Simpson.

I suspect other reasons exist why he gets abuse too but I won’t say those.

• Newutd

May 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM

wickywoowoo. Guess you haven’t seen a lot of Newcastle matches. He’s been ok for the most of it, good for some, and terrible against WBA for example. That makes me scared of how he will do against even better sides in PL.

Other reasons? Please explain

• wickywoowoo

May 6, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I have seen plenty of Newcastle matches this season and I don’t think Danny Simpson deserves the flack he is getting. That’s simple to understand, isn’t it?

He is the chosen scapegoat – you only have to look at any website where Newcastle fans post. He has been singled out for whatever reason people make up and he cops the flack whenever the team don’t win or play well.

Is Newcastle a one man team that depends on Simpson playing well or something? It’s ridiculous.

• Newutd

May 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Ever thought about that it’s weird that so many thinks the same? He is singled out, because there really hasn’t been any other in the first line up who has been as average.

Who have said Newcastle is a one man team? You can say a player has been average, without insinuating that.