Is Stephen Hunt Good Enough For Newcastle?

Stephen  Hunt of Hull City has duly announced his availability in the transfer market this summer.

Stephen Hunt – available in summer

It turns out that Roy Keane tried to bring Stephen Hunt in when Roy was managing Sunderland a couple of years ago, when Hunt was still at Reading, and we know that Wolverhampton Wanderers had a £5M bid rejected by Hull in the January window for the player.

But Hull’s financial house is in very poor shape, and they’ll have to sell some of their players during the summer, to bring in much needed cash and also to reduce their wage bill for life in the Championship.

Sounds familiar doesn’t it?

The Yorkshire club are said to be around £35M in debt, and it’s revealed today that Hunt had an agreement with chairman Adam Pearson that he would be sold if Hull failed to hold onto Premier league status.

How’s that for loyalty – let’s agree I’ll jump ship if the team gets relegated – but I’ll still try very hard and I’m really committed to Hull City.

Yeah – right!

This is what Stephen said today:

“If we’d stayed up I’d have been happy to stay but we’re not in the Premier League now and they may need to sell me”,

“If I do move on, it will be with a clear conscience. In January we had an agreement that they would sell me due to the financial situation that would arise from relegation.”

“The chairman has been very good to me. He said once I gave my all for Hull he’d have no problem in honouring that agreement for me to go. I have done that, I have done well for Hull.”

“The club say they will be willing to sell me at a reduction of the price they’d have got for me in January. I have no idea what that reduction will be and if a club will come up with the money. All I can do is concentrate on getting fit and see what happens.”

We’re not too sure about this lad, and maybe he’s now too old, as we thought he was good maybe three to four years ago.

And he’ll turn 29 in August so he’s hardly a young player and certainly isn’t under 26, which is a guideline we’ve heard coming from the club as to the type of player they want to bring in this summer.

He’s also still troubled by his foot injury so any club buying Stepehen would have to ensure he’s fully recovered from the injury that kept him out of the Hull side for the last couple of months of the season.

We’d have to say we’d pass on Stephen.

What would you do?

• darrowb1

May 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

pesonally i would buy him even if he is a bit older than what we need. He is a good player in the premiership and proved it before the agreement. if we could get him for like 2-3m i would buy but no more than that

• Rotonda heights

May 8, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Not really. Nearly 30, injury prone and on big money. lets pass on that.

Stupidly misssed the boat on Moses, maybe Albin is still a possibility ?

• cupiddstunt

May 8, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Although not my favourite player after what I think was a deliberate intent to hurt tackle on Petr Cech I do think he plays with a lot of intensity and would not distract from the team play we have developed.

So I have to say a fit Stephen Hunt even at 29 would be an asset, depending on price and ages of course.

One bad injury does not make a player injury prone.

• fongct

May 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM

he is a good and committed player who always give him all on the pitch

I dont think he is a bad signing as long as the price is cheap…

yes we definitely need a backup left wing, but I still have my doubt on Routledge in PL, so I prefer we sign a pure right winger who can also play on the left rather than a pure left winger

• fongct

May 8, 2010 at 8:57 PM

also, I dont want us to sign a left winger and shift Jonas to the right, yes, he can play on the right but he has formed a prefect partnership with Enrique…our main threat is on our left and we shouldnt break it

• Captain Beefheart

May 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Why do all these utterly average players cost £5m? And why would we want to buy any of these players off a very poor and ultimately relegated team? Clearly they didn’t cut the mustard in the Prem, so if we buy them it’s like planting the seeds of relegation before we even start.

At the post-Orient meeting our lads decided to be honest about who wanted to stay, so wtf are doing eyeing up another team’s greedy deserters for?

Build from the youth policy, no matter how long it takes. Quality, professionalism and 100% commitment to the cause, it is an indivisible trinity.

• Sgt. Heagerty

May 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Not a fan….altidore and the young midfielder they brought on against the mackems is the only 2 i would want from that heartless bunch…altidore did beat down a mackem but haven’t we all wanted to do just that a time or two..this lad excels at it…lol sounds like a winner for the toon army…All jokes aside this squad is attrocious and heartless not what we want to be picking through to boost are squad except for the two i mentioned…

• alan shearer

May 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

if i have a choice i will not take him..but if between bullard and hunt..i will take hunt..perhaps can replace ryan taylor as our fringe players..lol?