Jose Enrique – I Only Want To Play For Newcastle

Jose Enrique cost Newcastle United a pretty penny in the transfer market three years ago.

You would think Jose had just scored his first goal for Newcastle United

Sam Allardyce shelled out £6.2M for the Villareal player who was then a Spanish U21 International, and he had a rocky first season on Tyneside.

But since then Jose has got used to the English game and he is currently in the lead in our poll for the Newcastle United Blog Player of the Season, leading slightly from Kevin Nolan.

Jose is almost a folk hero on Tyneside these days – and if he continues his current form he should be able to get into the Spanish squad before too long.

And Jose, in a  recent interview, made it very clear he doesn’t plan to leave the Newcastle club anytime soon:

“I still believe I can get better and I intend to do that with Newcastle,” “I have seen a few things about other clubs being interested in me, but they shouldn’t bother. For me, I only want to play for Newcastle.”

“I’m happy here and I want to stay. If other teams want to buy me they have to speak to Newcastle, but I don’t want to go. The only way I will go is if Newcastle need the money.”

“I don’t know what the situation is, but I don’t think so. If they want to sell me that’s not my problem, but I want to stay here and I have told everyone that as well.”

“Next year will be my fourth season at Newcastle and I have enjoyed my time here. It is a happy club now. I know some players have not liked Newcastle, foreign players, but I don’t understand why.”

“I like the city, I don’t listen to people who say it’s not good.”  “It is a big club and it can be an even bigger one. The Premier League is a better league with Newcastle in it. I think the Premier League has missed us.”

Jose was one of the few players during our disastrous relegation season, that both played well and gave everything he had, and we expect him to do very well next season, when Newcastle are of course back in the Premiership.

Newcastle seem to have got rid of the players that didn’t want to be on Tyneside, and that has made a huge difference to the attitude and spirit of the squad, and every player now wants to play for the famous Newcastle United club.

What a difference that has made in our Championship season just finished, and the new spirit and fight in the squad has to stand the team in good stead for next season’s huge challenge.

Jose continued and talked about how this last season has improved him as a player:

“I don’t think this season has been a poor one. I think I am a better player now than I was when I played that first game in the Championship, the experience will benefit me in the long term.”

“I feel I’ve played well and I’ve got stronger. It is different to the Premier League, but I think it has given me more confidence in English football. It has been more physical and direct but I have enjoyed it.”

“Of course it will be more difficult for us in the Premier League, and of course we are going to lose more games than we have this season, but I believe we have a good team and we can do well enough.”

Good words as usual from Jose – a player born to play for Newcastle.

And now’s your chance to vote for your favorite Newcastle player in our annual poll for the Newcastle United Blog Player of the Season that Sebastien Bassong won so easily last year at this time.

You can vote here – and it’s one vote per reader.

• Brutooon

May 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

couples of seasons ago, we got problem with left back. now that problem solve for the next 10 years 🙂

• Ericles

May 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I reckon with players like Enrique we will do better in the Premiership than the pundits give us credit for. He is a grand lad and a credit to the club.

• Craigg

May 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Did anyone find watching the UEFA Cup final really enjoyable

Not because of the football but because Fulham were just as i’ve thought every time ive seen them since Roy Hodgsons arrival, Likeable but naff just like O’Neills Leicester a side that punches above their weight jam packed with has beens, Fizzy pop players and tripe.

Would many of their team get in ours, Hangeland in for Simpson (With ST moving to RB) obviously and maybe Murphy whose age is against him now but we should have bought on at least 3 occasions in the past (For Nolan ??)

Hughes for Taylor, Konchesky for Enrique, Etuhu for Barton, Davies for Jonas, Zamora for Carroll, Nevland for Loven….Not for Me

Fulham are regarded as the best of the rest in the premier league and the fact that Brum have IMO an inferior side to ours and yet finished ninth along with the likes of Blackburn, Sunderland, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan, Wolves, West Ham, West Brom and Blackpool or Cardiff are hardly world beaters.

If we get in the 2 strikers we need ,The creativity in midfield we lack and cover at LB and CB then were laughing.

• The_Legend_Of_Jonas

May 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I hope Enrique stays here for the rest of his career..

• sirjasontoon

May 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM

The Bull will just get better and better-Top Toon Player,great attitude as well.

• ginkoh

May 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM

My hat off for him. Howay the lads !

• WLtoon

May 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM

its good to hear players like Enrique pledging his future to the club,he,s obviously happy here, and Carroll has came out and said he wants to stay at his hometown club too, but there is one player who is yet to say he wants, or is, staying. He may not think he needs to as he may feel happy and comfortable at the the club,and the staff at the club might know that,but would,nt it be nice to hear S Taylor nip all the shit in the bud by pledging his future,he knows he will be linked with every Tom Dick and Harry from now till august. over to you Steven

• freddie

May 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Talk about lack of ambition.

• Robby Bobson

May 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Enrique showed one of the few moment of passion last season…and that was when he got injured against Pompey, he genuiely seemed annoyed he wouldnt be helping in the relegation fight.

He needs to cut out the poor clearences and improve in the air, for a man of his size, for the prem, but his power, pace and willingness to get forward will certainly hurt teams next season.

• balubas1

May 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM

enrique is class.

I’ve mentioned it before, but here I go again:

He reminds me of Evra when he first came to man utd. Some silly mistakes, but has pace, power and all the pontential for a world class left back. I think he would be considered seriously for the Spain squad if he played for a “bigger” club.

Anyone else but me that remember when he OWNED Aaron Lennon 2 seasons ago? 🙂