It’s All About Togetherness And Bonding

Mike Williamson has played 16 times for the Newcastle first team since he arrived from Portsmouth in  late January, and he’s looked a very good player and an absolute bargain at just £1M.

Mike Williamson – great buy from Portsmouth

But Mike will have a question mark over himself  early next season, because he will have to prove that he is indeed good enough to play in the Premier league, and that’s true for players like Wayne Routledge, Danny Simpson and some others currently at Newcastle.

Of course if Mike had stayed at Pompey he could well be playing at Wembley tomorrow in the FA Cup final against Chelsea.

Williamson told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’m really happy for the Pompey lads because I’ve still got some good friends there.”

“For them to have such a good day out, and achieve what they have with all the stuff that’s gone on off the pitch, is a good thing for them.”

“Personally, without a doubt, I’ve 100 per cent got no regrets.” “I’m more than happy to be in the position I’m in.”

Mike is still sky high following the way Newcastle so brilliantly lifted the Championship trophy by 11 points from second placed WBA, and by an amazing 23 points from 3rd placed Nottingham Forest, with 30 wins during the season and only 4 defeats.

Mike continued:

“At Wycombe we got promoted from League Two. I had a little medal from that, but this is by far my best achievement.”

“I’m going to get all my shirts signed, and get them up on the wall and milk it for everything it’s worth!”

Good for him.

Williamson arrived at St James’ Park as a player not much known in the football world, although Chris Hughton had him on the radar screen since last summer, and Newcastle even made an attempt to sign him last August, but  that was thwarted when he went to Portsmouth on September 1st for a £3M fee.

But his time at Portsmouth was not good, and for one reason or another  he didn’t even play for the first team, and his career was rescued when Chris Hughton stepped in and signed him for the Newcastle club in late January.

And Mike Williamson said that when he first arrived, he and the other new signings were immediately made to feel at home by the rest of the Newcastle players.

Mike continued:

“You don’t really know until you’re at a club what the lads are going to be like, or how you’ll fit in.”  “To be honest, it’s been a walk in the park coming here.”

“It’s easier to walk into a winning team, and I’m just really pleased to have fitted in like I have done and played so many games.”

“It’s a small, close group of lads.”  “The first week I was here, there were a few signings – me, Wayne (Routledge) and Fitz (Hall).”

“And straight away the senior lads like Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith said ‘right, we’re going for a meal out’, and that set the standard.”

“It’s all about the togetherness and bonding, and that’s shown on the field.”

The team spirit is better than it’s been at Newcastle for a very long while,  and that will stand the team in good stead for next season for our re-entry into the tough Premier League.

We think the lads will do quite well next season, and may even exceed the expectations of most Newcastle fans, which after all, are not very high – staying in the PL will do for most of us.

• Craigg

May 14, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Shame Barton didnt go out for meals with Smith and co instead of turning up for Mcnuggets at 2 in the morning with his chavvy scouse relatives

• Doha Mag

May 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Barton apparently not drinking these days but great the senior players taking the lead and looking after the new recruits.

Having worked overseas for many years I have always ensured new guys are well looked after. Guess I’m just a good old Geordie boy that treats all folks from all over the world as one of us…….

HWTL

• AngerOfTheNorth

May 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Looks like we won’t have Ranger available next season, as he’s earmarked for a season out on loan:

Sounds like a good idea to me, he’s not quite there yet in terms of doing the business at Premier League level on a regular basis. A season at a Championside side would do him the world of good.

• BT7MAG

May 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Can you imagine Oba and Owen taking new boys out for a meal?

Like you said Doha, Geordies are welcoming people and I’m glad to see Smith and Nolan (york and lanc lads) understand and represent our club so well!

• G

May 14, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I am looking forward to seeing MW play in the Prem. I feel he has enough in the tank to cope with most teams. Fair enough, I am sure he will have a mare against the Manyoo and Chelski’s of the division, but show me a centre half who doesn’t? MW would have been competing with Jose for player of the season if he had been here from the start of the season, and I believe Staylor or Colo may struggle to hold a regular spot with MW available.

• jimiley

May 14, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Togetherness, fitness, and CH’s tactical ability could see us as high as 7th next season. We don’t need any multi million pound players who have always been a waste of money. Why waste more? They also destroy team spirit. I would rather finish mid table with a team of triers and youngsters than purchase 20 million pound players only to be disappointed yet again by those loafers. CH will guarantee us mid table for as long as he stays at the helm and we cannot ask for more than that, can we?

• NewcastleMole

May 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM

@jimiley

7th?

We’re going to be in a relegation scrap.

Team spirit has been created because of the number of wins we’ve had. It builds Confidence & Form. Next season will be tough, just wait till we go on a run of bad form and the players turn on themselves. Best we can hope for is 12th

• jimiley

May 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Mole,
    If you think we will be in a relegation scrap, presumably you are not very impressed with MAs policy of buying nobody unless we sell? What is he playing at?

• stuart no9

May 15, 2010 at 12:26 AM

sorry ed but when you keep saying the newcastle club, it does seem a bit odd, is it an american thingh or what? have you always camlled them that, even when you lived here?

• stuart no9

May 15, 2010 at 12:27 AM

thingh and camlled? whats that all about?

• G

May 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Friday night fizzy drinks Stuart no9? I love it when I find out I am not the only lesdyxic on here!

• Toonsurfer

May 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I feel we should send Best out on loan and let him regain his goalscoring confidence, sell Ameobi and keep Ranger at the club but either way we need a proven top drawer striker even if its a loan deal.
    Carroll had a great season but is still unproven at the top level. Keep Lovenkrands as back up.

• toonpigeon

May 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I like the way that Williamson has played this season, I think he had real determination to prove himself after his unsuccessful spell at Pompey. He shown experience and has marshaled the back line with Coloccini. I’m really looking forward to seeing him play in the Premier League.