Carroll Will Score Goals In Premiership Too

Former Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has talked about Newcastle’s exciting young local striker, 21 year-old Andy Carroll today.

Andy Carroll – more than promising young striker on Tyneside

Roeder told the Evening Chronicle today about the time he gave Andy Carroll his Newcastle League debut, on 14th April at Fratton Park in a  game Newcastle lost 2-1:

“I always believed he had potential and something different.” “He’s such a powerful competitor.”

“I gave him his Premier League debut at Portsmouth – he went in against Sol Campbell and Sol couldn’t compete with him.”

“I then put him on for the last 20 minutes against Chelsea, and John Terry couldn’t win anything.”

Andy came on in the second half at Portsmouth in that game,  for a non-performing Charles N’Zogbia.

Roeder feels that the support for Carroll must be there next season, but with  Newcastle having signed Wayne Routledge in January coinciding with Andy starting to score so many goals this year, surely it must auger well for next season.

Newcastle now have a threat down both wings with Wayne Routledge and Jonas Gutierrez  out wide in Newcastle’s 4-4-2 formation, and we have to think Andy can score lots of goals next season in the Premiership.

Since Routledge arrived it seemed like Newcastle started scoring goals for fun,  starting with that 5-1 hammering of an in-form Cardiff City on 5th February at St. James’ Park.

Roeder continued:

“I worked with Andy all the way through, from him being 16 at the Academy to giving him his first team debut in Palermo.”“He came through and he ticked all of the boxes.”

“He is an excellent young player.”  “The question mark above his head was that he didn’t score enough goals.” “His answer was getting 19 this season.”

“If you give Andy the right service, he’ll get you the goals.” “Some of his headed goals this season have been of the highest order.”

The word on the street is that Carroll will get a call-up for the first England squad following the World Cup, and he could even be a full England international early next season.

We’ll have to wait and see on that one, as Roeder continued:

“He has to do it as well in the Premier League.” “But he should be able to cope.”

“He can be an even better player next season – he seems to be getting better and better.” “When he first came in I put a lot of faith in him because I thought he was worth that.”

“That talent can rub off on other players, and he’s an absolute handful.” “He’s still young and has a few rough edges, but those can be worked on.”

“As far as his life away from football is concerned, I just hope he can keep that in check.” “Any young player needs to do that or you look back and regret it when you’re an older man.”

“His first responsibility is to himself and then his manager and team-mates.” “And then to all of the younger players at Newcastle who need role models.”

“But just as importantly to the fans – especially all those young Geordies who idolise him.”

Carroll has to put his private life in order of course, and his next appearance before Newcastle magistrates is on Thursday, 3rd June, where he still has an assault and battery charge hanging over him.

Let’s hope that gets cleared up before next season begins.

• WLtoon

May 15, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Roeder,as a good cenre half, should know what its like to play against a handfull like Carroll,and i trust his judgement. Carrolls progress excites me, if he keeps his head down,this big geordie bastard (lol) could be an absolute gem IMO. And then Fat Greedy Bastard sells him for a quick buck. sorry lads,dont want us getting carried away now do we ? lol

• baro

May 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I really hope he does score goals in the Premier League and I think he can. Maybe somewhere between 10-20 mark would be awesome! I have confidence in this lad always. He just keeps improving. If he gets a head on the ball its most likely a goal or assist, all the time. Hopefully the next Toon’ #9!

• G

May 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I have major doubts about Carroll going in the prem. I know he banged in a couple before our relegation, however, I have seen many strikers do the same then fail to deliver upon return. I hope I am wrong, but I can help but think about Wolves Slvan Ebanks-blake banging in 25+ in the champ in 30 odd games, then scoring only 2 in 20 odd games in the prem. Please prove me wrong AC as I would love to see a local lad doing it for us.

• wickywoowoo

May 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

The thing with Andy Carroll is that he is tall and one of the best headers I have ever seen. EVERY header is either a goal, a header on target or an assist to a goal.

That means he essentially only has to stand in one spot all 90 minutes and if he gets a good cross, he is set to score. That is something that will always be in demand.

Guys like Ebanks-Blake rely on a football brain and speed – his speed can easily leave him and without a physical presence, his brain loses it’s impact.

Carroll just has a physique that means he will always score and always be in demand. Women always prefer strikers in football – because size matters.

• G

May 15, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I wouldn’t go that far with the header thing wickywoowoo, I think in terms of headers of the ball, Sir Les was the best header of the ball I have ever seen, and frankly Carroll isn’t fit to fasten up Sir Les’s Hair Gel! He is good in the air, granted, but you have somewhat exaggerated his prowess. I wouldn’t exactly say Ebanks-Blake has that much of a football brain either, players with a footballing brain have much better positional sense, and his big problem has been in not being in the right place at the given time. For what it’s worth though, I hope your optimism about Carroll is far more accurate than my cynicism!

• wickywoowoo

May 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Sir Les was a legend but I just see more threat from Carroll in the air.

I know it was only one goal but he scored a headed goal against Stoke last season. Stoke, the team of gigantic players. That takes a lot of aerial ability, not to mention he was falling backwards at the time and near the edge of the 18 year box. It was incredible.

I am a big supporter of Carroll though. I know I got a lot of slack for backing him over Ranger earlier this season and it turned out I was more right than even I suspected. I have faith in my gut reactions.

• WLtoon

May 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I think Ferdinand was a different class to Carroll,but in time i think Carroll could be the next Big Dunc .

• danuneek

May 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM

WLtoon, thats what I was thinking. Carroll reminds me alot of Big Duncan Ferguson, he’s definitely an out and out target man. I also agree with wickywoowoo to a degree, Carroll’s physic gives him an advantage over previous strikers making the step up. But if you look at another Target man with a good goals to games record, ie. Bent who has made the step up easier than other smaller quicker (off the shoulder?) players who rely on pace, Carroll might have a chance. I think in order for Carroll to make the step up he needs the supply. Thats the difference between a smaller, quicker trickier type is that they tend to create a lot of chances themselves generally using their speed and there are alot of Prem defenders who can cope with that pace. But height advantage is another matter. Not many defenders can cope with Crouch and Carroll is only 3″ smaller and a lot wider.

• Craigg

May 16, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Can anyone imagine the ammount of goals we would score with a Carroll/Beattie combo up top and Jonas/Routledge wing pairing,

Added to by the potential Barton/Ledley central pairing.

• WLtoon

May 16, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I personally would,nt go for Beattie but i can see your idea. I wud prefer a pacy man alongside Carroll otherwise i think we wud be too one dimensional.

• Craigg

May 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM

WLtoon

Its a fair point but its horses for Courses, If we play Arsenal then Beattie and Carroll would have a fair bit of joy as they dont defend set pieces and high balls very well and certainly not against guys like Andy and Beattie who are powerful in the air.

Against Stoke Loven or another pacy player (Dindane) and one of the other two would be more effective as Faye, Huth, Higginbotham etc. are better against balls in the air but arent very quick and balls in behind would give us a fair chance..

• The Bishop

May 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Dindane? He’s one of the worst players i’ve ever seen in the premiership!