Newcastle Stand Decent Chance Of Signing Joe Ledley

One of the free agents this summer who could be a tremendous acquisition for Newcastle United is Cariff  City’s Joe Ledley.

Joe Ledley – Cardiff City mdfielder

Joe has been out most of this year with a hip injury since late January, and has only recently returned to playing.

And Joe will start in their Championship play-off final at Wembley next Saturday against Blackpool, and they have to be favorites to go up with WBA and runaway Champions Newcastle.

Joe is a good player who can play in a variety of positions including central midfield and left-back, and it could well be that Joe decides to stay at Cardiff, if the Welsh side indeed gets promoted, so he gets a chance to play in the Premier League.

Joe has played 246 times with 28 goals for his home-town team, the only club he has ever been at, and has played 32 times for Wales with 2 goals.

Ledley told BBC Sport last week:

“I’ll wait for the end of the season before deciding my future.””Especially now as I want to concentrate on football and don’t want to think about my contract. I just want to get Cardiff out of the Championship.”

“But to help Cardiff into the Premier League would be the greatest achievement of my life.”  “To play in Premier League as it is the greatest standard anyone can achieve and the fans couldn’t ask for anymore.”

“We have a great stadium, great training facilities and to get Premier League status, the fans would be buzzing to see the likes of Steven Gerrard, Cesc Fabregas and Wayne Rooney at Cardiff week in week out.”

“Hopefully our players can achieve that.” “And I will hopefully stay if Cardiff win promotion, but it is obviously not down to me but down to the chairman.”

“If promotion happens then I’ll be happy enough to see the chairman and sort something out.”

That doesn’t sound too encouraging, and it looks almost certain that if Cardiff do beat Blackpool next Saturday afternoon, Newcastle will be unable to entice Joe to Newcastle.

But Blackpool could still win that game, given that they played so well twice against Nottingham Forest to make the Wembley final – you just never know what will happen.

Here’s hoping.

Comments welcome

• toonboyjake

May 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM

The chances are that cardiff will win,
    cant see us signing him
    he’d be a good aquisition but from what he’s said there he will stay at cardiff

• del

May 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM

How can we sign anyone without money? We’re skint remember.

• Chris F

May 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM

because he’s a free agent in the summer, though my understanding is cardiff would still be due compensation due to his age.

if cardiff go up, he’ll stay, if they lose to blackpool he’ll be on his way imo, and we could do a lot worse than make him an offer.

• Turkish Magpie

May 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM

del- the point is that if Cardiff dont win then Ledley will want a move to the Prem and wont want to sign a new contract, so he’s free (we can afford him) and he wants Prem football ( we can offer him that)

• baro

May 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM

He would be a perfect and awesome signing. Very great vision. And he is FREE. But if Cardiff beat Blackpool than we have no chance of singing him. Because like he said it would be his dream and Cardiff’s dream to be in Premier League. He would probably extend if beat Blackpool. But, if they loose than he should be our new player. Only if Chris can hurry up and go after him. He is just the player we need.

• G

May 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I would take him like, a good player, although his injury history is a concern, I don’t think he is an injury prone player, I believe he has just been unlucky.

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM

How old is he Ed ?
    cardiff’s real gem was Ramsay. Ledley is competent however.

• baro

May 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Hey he is 23 years old. And after Ramsey and Ledley their new gem is Adam Matthews. 17 year old Right Back/Right Mid/Center Mid. He is very good youngster.

• del

May 15, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Would rather have ‘experienced’ players than kids.

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Del – YAWN !!!

That attiitude is exactly why so few youngsters ever make it at NUFC

• The Entertainers

May 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Cant understand the logic in saying few youngsters make it at Newcastle.

Harper, Taylor, Shola, Carroll are 4 players who played huge roles in our squad this season and are all ‘homegrown’ . 4 is a huge number when you look at other teams, particularly in the top flight.

Then you can add the ‘young’ signings, Simpson, Kadar, Guthrie and Ranger, theres another 4 players all under 24!

Newcastle have done more for future generations than most teams, yet still there are comments about how if we dont field a team of 11 under 20 year olds then we are damaging the future of our club…………rubbish

We are too quick to abandon older players, the Italians seem to consider older players like a good wine………..oh and also won a world cup and look like Inter may well win the European Cup this season too!

Yes youngsters are important, but only if their enviroment is stable around them and older heads bring stability.

If your good enough, your old enough……..rant over.

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM

sadly previous managers and to a degree hughton have not seen the value in that last line.

• The Entertainers

May 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Not quite sure which players your refering to ?
    As i cant think of any who have left Newcastle in the last few years who have gone on to great things after not getting the games at Newcastle.

• del

May 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Young players just won’t have the bottle for a relegation fight, which is surely Newcastle’s situation next year…

• SAMeobi

May 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Del..give it a rest lad, you dunno what your on about.

• Newutd

May 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Tremendous and tremendous…he is good. Reminds me of Guthrie really.

• wickywoowoo

May 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I hate the attitude he has already. If Cardiff don’t go up, he will leave? What a tosspot.

1. Cardiff have money issues. If he cared about the club at all, he would have left last summer when the club could have got money.

2. If Cardiff don’t go up, that means he hasn’t earned the right to play in the Premiership. He should rot in the Championship. (I like the Championship, by the way, it isn’t a rotten league but this is clearly what Ledley thinks by his actions).

3. As someone pointed out, since Aaron Ramsey left Cardiff, Ledley hasn’t been anywhere near as influencial. They were a team with Ramsey seemingly the better. Also – why didn’t Arsenal swoop for both?

Ledley is good, don’t get me wrong, but his attitude seems the reverse of the likes of Duff, etc. They were relegated and still managed to scrap their way into the Premiership. This guy wants to continually fail to get promoted and get up too.

I don’t like that.

• G-Man

May 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Jesus, If this is the best we can get , we won’t be in the premiership for very long, sad days indeed………..

• WLtoon

May 16, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Ledley mainly plays in midfield,is he really any better than what we already have?
    He can also play left back, but he aint in the same class as the bull.
    He,s played nearly 300 games outside the prem, thats the equivilent of 6 seasons,yet not a single prem club has signed him up.?
    He cant be that good. ile go against the grain here lads and take Blackpool to win the play off. They looked good against Forrest,

• kkma

May 16, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Ed, I am from HK and a HK loyal fan has made a marvellous video concluding the second half of the season. Would you mind to post on your blog so that more fans from other countries can watch this ? Thanks anyway. Link is as follows:

• Toonmania

May 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM

kkma,
    that’s not a bad video 🙂 well done mate

• andrewc

May 16, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Ledley is decent, I was a bit surprised though when I saw this post.

I don’t think he’d have the right attitude for the team, he’s been talking about leaving Cardiff to play in the Premiership for 3 seasons now. He’s been linked with Stoke the past 2 seasons if I remember rightly.

I think even with a limited budget we can do better than Ledley.

• Captain Beefheart

May 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Could someone remind me what division we are playing in next season, or is this fiendishly clever long term planning for another promotion push in 2011-12.

• Bao Zheng

May 17, 2010 at 7:11 AM

What is this ‘it’s not down to me it’s down to the charman’ bull locks? Third time I’ve read that today. Translation ‘If the Chairman won’t agree to my ridiculous demands I will throw my toys out of the cot and walk away from the people who hauled me out of my slum and gave me a lifestyle all of my mates would have given their left ball for’. Nobheed.