Newcastle Have Real Interest In Cleverley But Not Wilshere


We’re in the silly season and it’s hard to know which stories are true  about Newcastle’s interest in players – but what’s new?

18 year-old Jack Wilshere – not coming to Newcastle

It’s clear that Chris Hughton is looking for loan players and free agents, and it now seems he was told that little or no money would be available for transfer fees a few weeks ago, and as usual he is bunkering down to get the job done in the summer for Newcastle.

The News Of The World is today reporting that Newcastle are interested in 20 year-old Tom Cleverley of Manchester United and Arsenal’s young 18 year-old Jack Wilshere.

We have to think that Chris is indeed interested in Tom Cleverley and even Danny Welbeck of the Red Devils, but he has already said he is not interested in Jack Wilshere.

And some new news today that Jack Wilshere has told friends he would be happy to return to the Bolton club for next season,  where he looked good and made 18 appearances for Bolton this year.

But Chris Hughton has aready stated he is not interested in Wilshere and yes – we hate to spoil things with actual facts – but this is what Chris told the local Evening Chronicle about a  week ago

“Jack is a very good young player at Arsenal and we are aware of that, but no he is not somebody I am looking at.”

Newcastle need one creative midfielder brought in via a free agent or a loan signing this summer, and news today they may again go after Juventus’ 30 year-old Danish International play-maker Christian Poulson, and we think that would be a great loan signing.

And in looking at our records we were supposedly interested in this same player 18 months ago, just before the January 2009 transfer window.

As for Manchester United prospect Cleverley, who hit 11 goals in 35 appearances on loan at Watford last season, and is recovering from a knee ligament injury, he would be an excellent season-long loan signing.

With Frenchman Fabrice Pancrate gone we need at least one good winger in this summer to share the duties with Gutierrez and Routledge next season, and Tom could be that man, and would get plenty of playing time at Newcastle.

So Tom Cleverley yes – but Jack Wilshere will not be arriving on Tyneside this summer.

However,  just watch the number of stories that maintain that Newcastle are still interested in Jack Wilshere.

Oh well.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

8 comments so far

  • sirjasontoon

    May 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

    Comment #1

    I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t sign any of 50 or so “linked” players mentioned over the last 2 weeks.

    Reminds me of the time we where linked with Arda Tura and Luca Modric….Etc

    0
  • Chris F

    May 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

    Comment #2

    er, yeah, except we actually were after modric….

    0
  • Toon1978

    May 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM

    Comment #3

    It in unbelievable that we have gained promotion yet we get nothing to bolster the squad. Ashley might as well blind fold Houghton and tie his hands behind his back. He gets some of the highest gates in the country as well. We seem to be linked with all players out of contract and loan deals. What an utter farce and disgrace. We seemed doomed even before we kick a ball.

    0
  • WLtoon

    May 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM

    Comment #4

    One thing that seems apparent thru all this transfer talk,is that CH must not have any money to spend
    We have been speculating whether the runours were true last week about this concern.
    I know the press are full of underpants,but i am tending to think that CH does,nt have any cash to spend. the RUMOURS could be right.
    IF that is the case, CH WILL be the only manager not to get a penny for transfers after getting a team promoted into the prem.
    Thats another record CH can claim.
    Jabba Ashley,why dont you just f****k off back to smoke and take your SS police with you. you are taking the piss out of CH and the geordie public.

    0
  • WLtoon

    May 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM

    Comment #5

    Toon1978
    I totally agree with you. I said exactly that in my last post but with a bit more venom and it has,nt been put on show.
    I dont think we are doomed like you say,but CH is working under unreasonable restrictions.
    CH cud be the only man in history not get a single penny for team improvement after promotion to the prem.
    Thats another record(an unwanted one) CH can add to his CV.
    What an absolute disgrace.

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    May 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM

    Comment #6

    I don’t think anyone is getting carried away with transfers as they will be few and far between under this regime…..kids,loans and trash is probably the template we will be following…it is a shame,£20m now would certainly go along way to securing premiership football for the season after next…but this impoverished policy is just rape as far as I am concerned.

    Leon Best wouldn’t even set the scottish 2nd division alight.

    0
  • baro

    May 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM

    Comment #7

    They both would be awesome if we get them. Very talented youngsters.

    0
  • G-Man

    May 16, 2010 at 8:35 PM

    Comment #8

    Never understood the point of loaning young improving players from the big boys just to give them back better, with no chance of signing them. To get promoted it can make sense, but we’re now in the premiership & we should be buying these kids for a successful team for years to come. Thanks again fatboy for nothing, this will be a very hard season, just need to pick up a few injuries & game over, down we go, a billionaire owner, the 3rd biggest supported club in the country, & scraps is all we have to look forward to, depressing………………

    0

You must log in to post a comment.