Danny Simpson Has Something To Prove Next Season

Danny Simpson was the first new player signed last summer, as he came in on loan in August from Manchester United.

Danny Simpson – something to prove next season

And today Danny has publicly thanked manager Chris Hughton,  for the way he handled both himself and the Newcastle side last season.

Danny talked to Newcastle United TV this morning:

“Chris has been fantastic and I’ve got to thank him for giving me the chance to come here, first on loan and then the permanent move,”

“He’s been a different class all season and has kept a strong head all of the way through.”   “There have been some difficult times but he’s kept us in the right frame of mind and has done a superb job.”

“I think I was his first signing during the summer and ever since then I’ve loved every minute.”   “I’ve played almost every game and would like to think I’ve done well and repaid the faith he’s shown in me.”

23 year-old Danny Simpson has something to prove next season in the PL, and that’s to show he is indeed a Premiership class player.

It seems certain that one area Chris Hughton will scour the market for this summer is a top-class full-back who can challenge both Danny and Jose Enrique for a starting position in the Newcastle side next season.

And we wonder how Hughton will deal with Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor next season, and if  Williamson continues to show the great form he’s be in this year, it may well be that Steven Taylor is moved to right-back.

And if that happens it would be by no means certain that Danny would be starting for Newcastle in the first few games of  next season.

However, whatever happens Danny has made an excellent start to his career on Tyneside, with 41 starts and a single goal last season.

• G

May 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I rate Danny, I know he is often vilified, but he has age on his side, and will get better. So what if he had a few bad games last season, show me a toon player who didnt?

• jesus was a geordie

May 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM

My only issue with Danny is how much he backs off attackers…This wasn’t punished as much because the final touch in the championship was no where near the quality of the premiership.

If he could sort this out, he’d be a better player for it!

• G

May 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Fair comment jwag, but I saw jose do that several times this season too, and yet he is our player of the season? I am in no way comparing the players ability, as they are 2 very different type of players, however, I would like to highlight that DS is nowhere near as bad as some posters would have you believe. He is a decent player, he will get better.

• BeeGuy

May 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM

As the season progressed, it became apparent that Enrique’s side of the pitch was where opponents promising attacks went to die. One can only hope that Jose is teaching Danny and the other outside men some of his moves. The right side not only needs solid defense, it needs to be able to overlap the middies and get in good crosses or shots. The question that is posed is there anyone else on the roster, like a S. Taylor, that has the speed and poise to add offensive pressure on that side? Or is there a logjam of talent in the middle with no cover on the wings?

• Paul141726

May 17, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Agree with all of you. I was very happy when we signed him to a permanent contract as we needed someone to hold down that side at the back. Was he perfect? No. But he has shown a solid work ethic. If this continues and he can add some attacking to his game he could do well. Here’s hoping.

• Newutd

May 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Hope he’ll prove me wrong, but imo he is not good enough.

• noir9

May 17, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Agree that he does tend to back off alot & may get punished in the prem. However he did play a large part of the season with an ankle injury & he doesn’t get the same level of protection as Jose gets from spiderman, far to often the man in front of him would tuck into the middle (guthrie) or not track back enough (routledge).

• wickywoowoo

May 17, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Enrique is yet to prove he is a Premiership player, lets not forget. He has two seasons in the top division and he was crap in both.

He has as much to prove as Simpson.