Chris Hughton Seems To Work 24 Hours A Day For Newcastle

It’s not the first time that Newcastle’s Spanish left-back has said that Chris Hughton is the best manager he’s ever worked for, and it turns out that Chris seems to work around the clock for the Newcastle cause.

Jose Enrique – Hughton works so hard

Jose spoke to the Newcastle Journal today about his manager:

“Chris Hughton is the best manager I have worked under since I have been here. There have been some very famous names, but it is not always about that.”

“As a player Alan Shearer was unbelievable here. Of course, he was only here for seven weeks or so and you cannot really decide how good someone is in that short period of time.”

“I cannot say anything against him. No-one really knows what kind of manager Alan Shearer is because he spent just seven weeks with us.”

“Chris has had one season and has grown into the job. People who say he will not be as good a manager in the Premier League are being unfair. Why not?”

“The club want him to stay, he is very keen to stay and the players want to work with Chris next season.”

“Everyone was so happy when he was given the manager’s job on a permanent basis because it was so well deserved and he is the man to take charge of this club in the Premier League.”

Enrique says that Hughton works very hard at the Newcastle training grounds  in Benton and he likes the training sessions Chris puts together.

Jose continued:

“The training with the players is very different with him and I like him because his training sessions are so good.”

“I cannot believe how hard he works.” “He seems to spend 24 hours every day at the club.” “He is so dedicated to the job and gives his all.”

“He is thinking about the games all the time, watches the videos and is so thorough in his preparations. The players respect him so much.”

In watching Hughton over this last 12 months or so, it seems he is a student of the game, and his former experience as a coach at Spurs is standing him in good stead.

He’s also worked with some good managers at both Spurs and Newcastle,  and he will have learned a lot from them.

We are hoping Hughton continues to surprise us on the positive side, and if he can take the side to mid-table next season, anything is possible with Chris and Newcastle after that.

He reminds us a lot of Liverpool’s Bob Paisley – who was a back-up coach and physio for 34 years at Liverpool before finally taking over from Bill Shankly in 1974.

And of course if  he can get anywhere near the success of Bob – then Newcastle will be more successful than ever in the years ahead.

It’s certainly an exciting thought. 😀

• geordie_india

May 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Praying he can bring back Newcastle in the top four in the coming years were we deserve to be.

• jesus was a geordie

May 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Hard work is not always enough, but as long as we keep things in perspective (and have a touch of luck) I can see Chris staying with us for a good while!

We’re not out to challenge for the Premiership title nor are we gunning for European spots, next season is all about staying up…That means picking up points against the bottom 10, and being prepared to lose against the big boys (although I think we’ll play very defensively and look to get draws against them).

After that it’s a case of steady construction. Add a little bit to the team every year (even if it’s only a few million, like in January).

• Toon Sweden77

May 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM

A year back I wanted Alan Shearer installed as manager to take us back to the premierleague and didnt think to high of CH. But he really proved me wrong and boy am I glad for that. I still hope Shearer will be our manager some day but for now I have strong belife in CH and I think we will do well in the comming season back in the premiership with him as manager!

• G

May 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I was the same as you in terms of who I wanted as manager Toon Sweden77, and was dissapointed when they anounced his appointment, however, I am happy to be proved wrong. I have my doubts about Shearer’s ability, not based on his short tenure at the town (to be fair to him, the damage was already done), but on his relative inexperience. Lots of other bloggers have hit the nail on the head saying they would prefer AS to cut his managerial teeth in the lower leagues. CH had done a marvelous job, and I hope it continues.
    P.S. Ed, the headline of the thread made me think CH must hate his wife?

• Thump

May 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Dunno about you lot, but I can honestly see Chrissy Hughton being here for a few years to come and maybe even bringing some success with him. Honestly don’t know why but I see him as a Joe Harvey-like character (maybe it’s the circumstances…?)

• G

May 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I’ll have a glass of whatever youv’e had Thump! Seriously though, I hope you are right. As far as I see it, the only thing he has to achieve is a better than bottom 3 finish, and he is already a success. I don’t see this as a lack of ambition, I see it as a healthy dose of reality in this brave new world. If we do keep him here, we have the nucleus of a squad that can achieve great things indeed, given the right amount of time and patience.