Jack Rodwell Shows A Touch Of Class To Sign For Everton

Born in Southport, just north of Liverpool, Jack Rodwell was an Everton supporter as a child, and joined their youth system at age 7 and made his Under-18s debut for the Toffees at just 14.

Jack Rodwell – signs 5 year deal for Everton

And news that Jack has turned down Manchester United overtures to sign for the only club he has ever played for – Everton.   It’s n0t too often these days that a 19 year-old will turn down Manchester United in favor of the club he supported and played for as a youngster.

Certainly Wayne Rooney didn’t do that, and at age 19 signed for Manchester United back in 2004, and left his home-town club after Newcastle had almost signed the player by bidding £26M for him.

That was £26M the club didn’t have – but at it would have been another trophy signing – and at a time when the defense badly needed reinforcements.

But that was the old Newcastle for you, under then Chairman Freddy Shepherd, who one month after failing to sign Rooney  sacked then manager Sir Bobby Robson. How incompetent can you get?

6’3″ midfielder Jack Rodwell does admit to being flattered by the interest from Manchester United but didn’t want to leave Everton.  The 19-year-old has signed a new five-year contract and had this to say after his signing:

“It is a brilliant day for me. I’ve been at this club a long time and to sign a new five-year deal is amazing,”  “I went on a trial at Liverpool when I was six and they asked me to come back a year later but Everton came knocking and I haven’t looked back.”

“I’ve been with Everton since I was seven and at that age you don’t really think about the first team.”  “It is only about 16 when you think you start to realise you might have a shot. To play for them is an honor, to get this contract is even better.”

“I have been happy at this club ever since so when I got offered a five-year contract I was delighted to sign.”  “It is flattering, obviously, because to be linked with clubs like United is an honor but I’m perfectly happy to be here and it is a great club.”

“I’ve kept calm and just focused on my football day to day. I trained hard and played hard and knew everything would take care of itself.”  “I’ve not had major discussions over it (the new contract), it has not been an issue. I’ve just got my head down and played my football.”

It says a lot for Rodwell and for the Everton club, under the terrific management of David Moyes these last 8 years, that Jack wanted to sign a 5 year contract.

To us these are the real heroes of the game, and it’s just fantastic to see.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was more loyalty like Jack has shown Everton, in the game of football today?

We think so.

• repo

May 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Rooney was never in the frame to sign for us it was just Shepherd saying his name to get people to part with there money for season tickets..

also what else has that got to do with newcastle..

• Chris F

May 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM

actually Rooney himself said in his book that he would’ve signed for us if Man U hadn’t come in for him, because his relationship with david Moyes had basically disintegrated.

alos, ed can write about whatever he wants, it’s his blog.

• JSYproject

May 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM

narrow minded fool, if you dont like it dont read it.

• JSYproject

May 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM

its good to see some loyalty in football, imagine rooney showed this sort of commitment…. everton may have been a force in the premier league.

• Captain Beefheart

May 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM

@repo. ‘you should be a everton fan if you want to write about other players who play for other clubs..’

Which at a stroke would cut out on 100% of the articles on transfer target speculation, nice one! It would also cut out everything from match previews to opposition goalscorers in case we mention non-Toon players.

Are you sure you’ve really thought your isolationist media policy through?

PS: Sensible article, Ed. Football is slowly changing, I do hope for the better. This type of news means that clubs will immediately see the benefit of a youth-first policy, and is a welcome vindication our own academy system.

PPS: Interesting feature on the Bundesliga on Radio Five Live over the weekend, focussing on the relationship between fans and the club (there’s far greater access and accountability to the supporters in Germany) and those English fans who’d rather drive to Germany to watch games there. (It also works out cheaper than watching games in the Prem).

• Laurie Hartley

May 25, 2010 at 5:25 AM

As an Evertonian of 40 years and I am very proud of what “Jack the Lad has done this week”.

It is also great to see football fans from another great football club acknowledging what he has done and the significance for football in England.

JSY – if we can keep hold of the rest of our players this close season we will be a force in the premiership.

All the best to Newcastle fans (except I hope we take 6 points of you next season).

• ronaldeano

May 25, 2010 at 9:43 AM

What a stupid comment mate…..

• cupiddstunt

May 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I think repo has maybe have the idea that his comment was not the most well thought through. 😉

• JSYproject

May 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM

nahh hes just a tit. dont know why he dosnt get kicked off.

• jim

May 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM

repo whats the surname uve picked “session”-cos it looks like the bailiffs came for the brain u hired from them-Ed’s post is questioning the loyalty of our home grown players-and wishing there were more like Shearer and Rodwell-and yes we nearly did sign Rooney-bids were accepted til man u dangled the carrot and offered more-Edwardo can write what he likes-in fact i think he should be chairman of the Newcastle club-not! ( joking Ed! u are a bit mad me awld son!)