Danny Guthrie More Positive Than Bookies On Newcastle

We know there are still some doom and gloomers around, who insist that Newcastle will struggle next season, back in the Premiership.

Danny Guthrie – good player in the making on Tyneside

And they have been given some ammunition today by the bookies, who are usually fairly accurate if only because big money is often involved.

Newcastle have rather amazingly been grouped in with the likes of newly promoted Blackpool (32 points behind Newcastle last season) and West Bromwich Albion  and West Ham, as clubs likely to struggle next season.

Newcastle are offered at 11-4 today – to go be relegated next season.

But don’t tell that to confident young Danny Guthrie, who has alweays had a positive approach in his time on Tynesoide, and has often looked a great player in the nmaking since he was signed a coupl,ke of years ago from Liverpool.

Danny talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“I don’t think we are going up just to survive, we want to thrive in the Premier League in coming years.”  “People last season said we’d struggle in the Championship but we didn’t.”

“You always want to prove people wrong like that.” “We know how difficult it will be next season.”  “But with the quality we’ve got and a few additions, it bodes well.”

Certainly the Newcastle players showed last season that they were wary of the naysayers, and went about their job last season quite brilliantly in fighting for points in every single game.

You have to give enormous credit to the manager Chris Hughton, and he will again have that siege mentality in action as Newcastle fight like hell next season, in every single game they play.

That’s something they didn’t have when they were relegated –  and as soon as the lads went behind that was almost it – game over- but they still picked up their massive wages.

Danny continued:

“We will look to keep that same attitude next season. Nothing came easy for us last season, we will have to work hard for every result.”

“It could have been deemed a culture shock, and if we’d have shied away from that, we could have been in trouble.”  “There were a lot of midweek games at small grounds playing in the cold, but all of that was part of playing in that league.”

“I think we adapted to that really well.”  “To get promoted in the way we did was a credit to us.”

Next season will be an important one for young Danny as he will have to stake his claim to become a starter for Newcastle.

And he will have considerable competition from the likes of Smith, Nolan and Barton, but Danny showed earlier this year that he was more than capable of playing great for Newcastle, especially when Newcastle were in an attacking mood.

Guthrie knows exactly what he needs to do next season, and he is certainly looking forward to the challenge:

“I’ve matured a bit as a player and you become wiser.” “As much as relegation actually helped my career personally, I don’t want to do it again.”

“You always want to go into a new season as a better player and looking to brush up on things in your game.”

“I see my best years in front of me and as a Newcastle United player hopefully.” “Next year will be a massive test, not just for me, for everybody.”

“We want to show everybody we are Premier League players.”

Danny’s best years are definitely in front of him, and how he performs next year will largely decide how Newcastle fare in the league.

We have to hope the 22 year-old comes through big time because the very least thing we want next season is another relegation fight. We’re not sure the old heart will stand it.

• Ericles

May 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I do not think we will struggle at all. The bookies and the media cannot, and do not, want to see beyond their top 4 or 5 favourites. It is like the knob jockeys of Stelling’s Saturday circus – biased and opinionated back cannabees and usedtobees.

• summerof69

May 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM

How can i get in touch with ed ?

• G

May 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

You can post a question on here, as long as it’s a sensible one, he will generally give a public response. If you need to get in touch with him directly, then I cant help I’m afraid… been stalking him for donkeys, and still cant even get arrested… lol

• Mac

May 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Summerof69,why do you want to contact him? Do you have some inside information?

• summerof69

May 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM

mac, no i don’t unfortuately but there has bee a slanderish article in the guardian accusing newcastle fans of racist protests on Andy Coles debut against him, ad a few people have bee complaignig and i just wanted to bring it to his attentio.

• summerof69

May 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Black players are now accepted as an integral part of the professional game. But it was very different in the 1970s and 80s when Cyrille Regis, John Barnes and Viv Anderson were making their names and the National Front was making trouble on the terraces. When Andy Cole made his debut at Newcastle’s St James’s Park, Taylor, then a student in the city, recalls: “There were protests outside the ground. But Andy scored a hat-trick that day and we heard no more from the protesters.”

• toonboyjake

May 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM

off topic but apparently we’ve agreed to sign kris boyd, real radio are reporting we were his first choice

• Thump

May 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Nothing on Google about it, toonboy. Wouldn’t mind it being true, though! If true, I’m surprised – I thought he’d be off to the Brum.

@summerof69: Looks like they’ve amended it

• This article was amended on 26 May 2010 to remove a quote saying that there were protests outside the Newcastle ground when Andy Cole made his debut there in 1993, and that the player scored a hat-trick that day. A clarification covering the facts, and missing context, behind the quote will be published in the Guardian shortly.

• blip

May 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM

@Thump, the Boyd rumour seems to be picking up steam on Twitter, though Real Radio are the only source of this “news” cited by anyone.

• Thump

May 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Hm, I’ll take it with a pinch of salt for the moment.

I’ll cross my fingers for it being true for the time being ;D

• geordielad880

May 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I wouldnt want boyd at newcastle, very similar to what we already have, would prefer sturridge on loan from chelsea, or maynard if we have the cash for signings. I still think newcastle should offload alan smith, not good enough for the premiership, replace with sidwell.

I would love to see newcastle sign sidwell (4m), sturridge (loan), onuoha(loan) mark reynolds (motherwell-1.5m) s.hunt (hull-4.5m)

————————harper

Onuoha——–collocini———taylor—enrique

s.hunt———-barton———-sidwell——jonas

————–sturridge——–carroll

subs:-krul, williamson, simpson, guthrie, routledge, nolan, lovo

• cupiddstunt

May 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Toonboyjake I hope it is wrong about boyd as I do not think he will make it in the prem, I see boyd a little like Scott Mcdonald was for Celtic.

Mcdonald was quite prolific in the Scottish prem for both Motherwell and Celtic but failed miserably when he moved south of the border and I think boyd will be just the same, and with Mcdonald at least you got some effort when he was not scoring but with boyd you get nothing, no effort no work rate, a lazy lazy player who will toil against the much stronger and better quality English prem defenders.

Anyway I read he was a target for Celtic and I hope they get him I do not think he will do anything in the EPL.

• leeg123nufc

May 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I ave just heard on smooth radio we’ve agreed to sign him and carroll upfront sounds good to me and on a free he’s got a better soring record than steven fletcher and ive noticed a few people wanting him signed up

• Thump

May 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Not too sure about him and Carroll together, like. Too similar imo. A fast, pacy number 10 and a good old fashioned number 9 would do me.

• noir9

May 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Don’t judge boyd by the number of goals he has scored, most of them are scored against the weaker teams. He doesn’t even start against celtic…..whys that then?Big lump with a bad attitude, poor workrate & scores 1 in 4……..don’t we already have at least one of those?

• boater

May 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM

noir 9 – we have 3 or 4 of those, but Boyd has a 2 in 3 record which is pretty hard to argue with.