Onuoha Valued Closer To £7M By Manchester City

News in the Journal today that Manchester City may value their 23 year-old defender, Nedum Onuoha,  at almost twice the £3.5M Newcastle are said to be bidding for the player.

Nedum Onuoha – City value him closer to £7M

That could be a serious problem for the Newcastle club, who will hardly pay out £7M for just one player this summer.

While there will be no new capital outlay on players this summer, the Tyneside club is due some transfer money coming in from previous transfers of players out of the club.

So some money should be made available for transfers of players into the club – but we’d be surprised if that was any more than around £10M.

But if a deal could ba arranged for around £5M for this player, we think Newcastle would bring Nedum to he club, and that has to be a possibility.

And the player seems increasingly frustrated at his situation at City, who are likely to go off on one of their daft spending binges on new players again this summer.

Fiorentina’s Alessandro Gamberini, Palermo’s Simon Kjaer and Hamburg’s Jerome Boateng are  two  defenders who have been linked to the Manchester club this summer.

And it seems likely that manager Roberto Mancini is ready to let two other Academy graduates – Micah Richards and Steven Ireland – also leave in the summer with Nedum.

Nedum told the press recently:

“I almost feel like I was taking a back seat to a lot of the action,”  “I don’t think he (Mancini) liked me, to be honest.”

It seems to us that the player knows he has no future at the Eastlands club, and just wants away, and it will not be good if the club then over-value him in the transfer market.

We’ll keep tracking this story, and of course all of this could just be the normal negotiating between clubs, that goes on with all player sales.

What do you think?

• G

May 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I suppose there would be worse ways to spend 7m, but I think the 3.5 – 5m valuation would be a fair one.

• Newutd

May 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Too much.

• obamagic

May 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Micah Richards is worth 7 mill…. not Onuoha

• MacToon

May 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Funny that jaynufc89 was sure we’d paid £2 mill for him in a done deal!

Not that easy putting a prem team together on the cheap then!

• ToonArmy

May 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Agree with obamagic, way inflated price.

• boater

May 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I don’t think 7m is overpriced – he’s a classy 23 U21 eng’ int. with pace and technique. bassong for 10.5 now THAT was overpriced, the hype machine went into overdrive on that one.

• obaflamey

May 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM

obamagic
    Onuoha is miles better than Richards.

• fongct

May 28, 2010 at 11:46 AM

we cant afford him doesnt mean he is over priced….and 7M for Richards is a steal

I think 5M is a fair price, but I think there will be enough competition on him to push the price a bit higher

I never expect we can afford him anyway

Wolves are closed to sign Fletcher for 7M, if we cant afford a 5M player, we can forget about signing most of the PL standard players

• The Entertainers

May 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM

It doesnt matter what hes valued at, it what we pay that matters………

Let me explain, Shay Given in reality was valued at app’ £10 million, however our board sanctioned a £7 million transfer fee, which many a fan agreed was the bargain transfer of that particular window.

So regardless what Citeh value the lad at we really should be looking to cash in that ‘favour’ and sign him for less than hes worth.

Come on Citeh show some class……..

• Geordie_Pants

May 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Love your entertainers 🙂 You should be negotiating transfers for our club!!!!! I am concerned by the level of inactivity at newcastle. I am even more concerned at the prospect of relegation which has has really come home, in light of being one of the bookies favorite for relegation.

How long do you think Hughton will last this season? I think he will lose his half way through the season, though i sincerely hope i am wrong about this!

I think if we (the fans) ensure that our stadium week in week out chants Hughton’s names and supports our team even when we are losing games, we have a chance of staying up. Fan Power will be crucial for our chances of survival.We need to ensure that St James Park become a fortress which spurs the players on to win games and harasses referees into giving decisions to the home side.

One of our biggest threats to survival aside from the lack of transfer activity could be NUST , whilst i am very sympathetic to their aims I do hope there activities do not influence the atmosphere at St James Park. I am hoping to attend more games this season and i will definitely be doing my bit (chanting and cheering from the stands) to help ensure survival!!!!!

FAN POWER IS NUMBER 1

recently we have lost sight of that, when results have not gone our we have always turned on the managers and this can no longer go on. We should inspire our team to overturn deficits in big games instead of criticizing the manager over his tactics. I fall foul of this crime, however i intend on correcting my behavior and can only hope the rest follow suit.

• Doha Mag

May 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM

This guy is a future England international and possibly better than our own Steve Taylor. So a fee of £7M is not excessive although £5M would be better……

Would also like to see Wheater sign and Steve Taylor extend his contract as I believe Colo may leave if we get the right offer; i.e. £70k per week is far execessive to his ability, although he did well in the Championship….

• lostmonk

May 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Geordie_Pants, have you no shame? You actually publicly spew that filth out of your mouth all because the bookmakers put up odds for us to go down? I’d think the fix was in if they didn’t! It’s not even June yet, and you’re screeching about no transfers. Geez, fan power? You don’t seem much like a real fan….

• Captain Beefheart

May 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM

@Geordie_Pants: FAN POWER IS NUMBER 1

So, GP, if the fans were in control would they start chanting “Us Out!” if have a bad run or sack themselves if relegated?

Fans are fans, owners are owners and managers are managers… let’s keep it simple. We’d be in the Conference North and/or the Debtor’s Prison with our lot let loose with the chequebook and team tactics.

• baro

May 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM

If Onuoha is worth 7 million than go after Micah Richards who would probably be less, because he is out of favor with new coach. Stephan Ireland and Michael Johnson.

• Geordie_Pants

May 28, 2010 at 2:44 PM

@Lostmonk

Either i did not make myself clear or you misread the comment, fan power i believe will largely dictate our survival chances. If we get behind our team and our manager which involves pragmatic but not excessive and unnecessary criticism. Furthermore we must support Hughton even through any potential poor winless spells. Fan Power got SA, GS, BR, RG and other Newcastle United managers sacked. While i appreciate some deserved to be relieved of their duties, however this does not excuse out propensity as fans to turn on our managers when results do not go our way. Is that clear? l would be surprised if you disagreed with me!!!

@ Captain beefheart

i completely understand and agree with what your saying. The point i am trying to make (I think my earlier comment was far from precise) is that we must ensure that we support our manager throughout the whole season, through the highs and the lows. I must admit i am a member of the fickle section of nufc fans who have been the first to turn on the manager wether it was Robson or Allardyce. I know look back and think how unbelievable foolish and impatient i have been.

I want us to use our Fan Power which involves raising the roof at St James for every minute of every game throughout the season. I want referees to be intimidated by the atmosphere thus giving our team a further advantage when at home. Even when we do lose games, instead of taking a library we must always remember that we are Newcastle Fans and we are the best in country.

I want CH to succeed not just for this season but for years to come.

• ToOn_26

May 29, 2010 at 2:37 AM

No english player will come cheap, look abroad & unearth some gems out there, we don’t need overpriced english player..