No Capital Outlay Means No Cash Available For Transfers

The Sunday Sun are reporting today that indeed no money is being made available to Chris Hughton for incoming transfers this summer.

Mike Ashley – no money available for transfers

The news being reported is that the Newcastle hierarchy this week contacted newspapers to deny numerous transfer stories.

They also indicated that the “no new capital outlay” referred to in their recent statement does indeed mean that they will be making no cash signings.

If that’s true that’s really bad new and quite honestly it’s hard to believe.

We had tried to convince ourselves that no new capital outlay meant they would be paying transfer fees over multiple years and that left clear paying cash up front for players this summer.

But we suppose that will not happen either – and that’s a very dicey position to put the Tyneside club in.  And it looks like the only signings they will make are free agents and loan signings.

Loan signings do cost money, but we suppose that’s the level that Newcastle want to invest in the team this summer, which again seems surprising to us – and even a little alarming.

Let’s hope Chris can bring in the talent the club needs to survive – otherwise it could be a very tough upcoming season.

• G

May 30, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I still think we have the nucleus of a good squad, if we can bring a few bosmans and a couple of decent loan deals and we will be in a decent shape to consolodate our top flight status, and frankly, that is all that matters right now.

• Waddles mullet

May 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

When people ever learn!!!!!!!
    If it’s not an official statement then don’t believe members of the banned press…..
    Or normal press!

• Howay The Lads

May 30, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I’m not sure what’s worse that someone wrote this or that someone believed it?!?

• geordielad880

May 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

If this is true, which I very much doubt, I think we should offload smith, xisco, best, r taylor and ameobi to raise cash and wages, but like I say I really cant see it been true, as why bother scouting players if you know you have no money to spend, its just a total waste of money, but then again we are talking about the fat controller!

• G

May 30, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I am pretty certain that CH has confirmed there will be new arrivals at the toon, so with hindsight, I suppose it is a little short sighted to believe this is real.

• 02jiw22

May 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Why are we all believing the Sunday Sun all of a sudden have they ever got a story correct according to them recently we were gonna sign Pablo Hernandez from Valencia who is only worth about £15m! I dont think we’ll have much but i can see a cheeky few mill being spent

• Craigg

May 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Didnt the Club statement say not to believe the press ??

• Rich TOON Bristol

May 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

hang on the club released an official statement only weeks ago stating that they wouldntt have any contact with anyone let alone the press regarding transfers. Utter sh1te thats what i think it is, dont believe a word of it just the media trying to cause unrest amongst the fans and turn on the club

• toonpigeon

May 30, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Firstly, I hate the way that capital outlay gets repeated almost every week when Newcastle United is talked about. Capital Outlay does not mean having no money but it means not paying for players over a period of three years which could make the club go into financial difficulty.

Secondly, I don’t really trust what the sun write about us. The club wont comment and I do believe that we do have some money but Ashley is not willing to give it to us.

Thirdly, saying that Ledley is out of reach may not be true, Hughton worked behind the scenes in the January transfer window to get some decent players and they have molded into the team very well. We have young players coming up in the ranks who may get a chance next season.

Finally, I think we will get some players but there is no use speculating on who we buy as it is pot luck who we get.

• jaynufc89

May 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM

The 3 storys in the sunday sun today I think their all rubbish and their just to fill a blank page. It happens every year the press always find a way to say something bad about Newcastle its like they’ve got something against us.. Nedium has already said hes keen on a move to us. and my uncle is an estate agen and hes told me No capital outlay means to pay up front. .. I don’t trust the papers especially the sun.!! this is for all 3 of the storys on this blog.. I cant be bothered to type something for all 3.. We’ve got money coming from possible sales of players such as xisco and co.. we’ve got the final installment from Milners transfer.. so we must have money.. !

• jaynufc89

May 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Also I would like to add.. Do the press honestly think even Mike Ashley would go ahead and put no money in the club for the next 5 years? if so then their very stupid.. Ashley will most likey sell up in the next year or 2 and didnt this plan start last season? the under 26 thing.. and we spent money last year.. I think its a smoke screen and untill its official on the nufc website that they’ve confirmed this to the press then I shall not believe it.

• snoutshuffler

May 30, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Misleading headline really? According to the last bastian of truth that is the Sunday Sun.

Another non-story printed to generate hits and advertising revenue!

• ashleys wallets cobwebs

May 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM

why does everyone not believe that their is not going to be ay money spent ? their has only ever been one transfer window when we have actually spent any money , and that was january , and that was about 3 – 4 million , but we had pulled in about 20 million that summer , and dropped about 35 million in wages , if anyone believes this claptrap that we are in such a bad financial state then they are stupid , why cant he just do what he does every weekend and roll the dice and take a chance ? £15 million spent right would keep us up no problem , without it and its down to luck , £100,000 on the spin of a roulette wheel to win £200,000 why not gamble £15 million for it to be worth £40 -£50 million by staying up ?

• ashleys wallets cobwebs

May 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM

jaynufc89
    hows the wheater deal going , and boyd ?

• jaynufc89

May 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Expect news on the wheater and boyd deal by tuesday. maybe even monday but with it being a bank holiday most likey tuesday

• BeeGuy

May 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM

From what I’ve heard about the way Portsmouth kept their books and made deals, is it possible that Pompey owes Newcastle for past deals? If so, what is the amount & what is being offered in settlement?

• ZidaneMan

May 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I think the club have said there will be no capital outlay on players because they know that the press will blow it out of all proportion!! I agree with the others on here and reckon we have got money to spend and they aren’t going to tell us how much. In my view I think this has made the Sunday Sun look quite stupid by believing it!

• EllaGuru

May 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I think that if there was to be an official announcement telling us how much we had to spend over the summer it would be so much worse that telling us that there is going to be “no capital outlay”. Other clubs will just hold us to ransom over transfer fees, and the whole viscous circle will continue.
    It has been a smart move in my book (although yes a little frustrating to the average fan like us), but I have faith that there is some cash available and that Hughton will bring the right kind of players (RB, ST, CM)

• stuart no9

May 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM

here we go again, just like last year ,nobody knows whats going on, this time its about , is there money is there not?is he coming is he not?. the board have made 2 statements about funds, yet no one is clear about what they meant by them. Is that because we are stupid? or they are stupid? or is it because they wrote it in a way,THEY DONT WANT US TO UNDERSTAND IT. All these people who thought he was doing his best for the club,GET REAL, The mans a w….r and he is gradually getting his money back , which he will before he leaves, no money for transfers? have you ever heard of any thing as stupid in all your life, the man has not learnt, or dosnt want to learn, WE HAVETO GETHIM OUT NOW ,BUT THIS TIME DO A PROPER JOB

• jaynufc89

May 31, 2010 at 5:09 AM

I think the best possible way to make a point would be to boycott the friendly games no one turn up let the team play in front of an empty st james park.. lets see what he does then.. Best part is their just friendlys they mean nothing.. but if ashley gets the thought thats how it will be all season then its hitting his pocket hard and he may do something to make us come back !