Macdonald Challenges Carroll To Be Good Enough For Number 9

Malcolm Macdonald, the former Newcastle great,  has said today that wearing the number 9 short at Newcastle is not an easy task, and he wonders if Andy Carroll is up to it.

Andy Carroll – is he up to wearing number 9?

Before any player gets the number 9 shirt,  nobody really knows if he will live up to the former greats who have proudly worn the shirt – like Milburn, Macdonald and Shearer to name but three.

Certainly the last player to wear number 9 on Tyneside, Nigerian Oba Martins wasn’t good enough because he simply didn’t score enough goals. regularly enough for the club.

Oba scored 38 goals in 104 appearances for Newcastle, which is not too bad a record, but when the club was relegated last summer he couldn’t get to the exit door quickly enough.

Malcolm Macdonald said today:

“To take the No 9 shirt for Newcastle United, you have to have confidence in your own ability,””Does Andy Carroll have it?”

“The only person who can answer that question is Andy himself. But just saying ‘Yes’ is not enough, he has to prove it.”

“Not many have it, it’s a huge honour with a great legacy. You’re following some pretty special guys.” (like me?)

“Many players have put it on and not been able to do what’s asked of them.”  “What the shirt stands for is an inheritance deemed huge by the club and by the fans. It’s handing over a responsibility to score goals, simple as that.”

“If you’re the No 9 it’s about growing into the shirt, taking that responsibility. Only Andy will know if he is up to the task.”

Malcolm is right to challenge Andy to prove he’s worth it, but Andy was born and bred in the Newcastle area, unlike Malcolm, and the 21 year-old knows all about what it means to wear the famous number 9 shirt for Newcastle.

We think Andy’s going to do just fine next season.

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Superplonk has changed his tune from a couple of days ago? Hadn’t he already decided AC isn’t good enough for the prem? I have my doubts about AC too, but unlike him I will be cheering on AC and willing him to prove me wrong. Another local lad in the number 9 would be a special thing indeed.

• howay man

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM

just putting it out there, if crystal palace get liquidised at 3 o clock today would nathaniel clyne be available for free? or certainly very very cheap.
    hes a very good young full back.

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I have no idea what happens to players if the club goes into complete liquidation. Presumably there must be some kind of reciever like organisation that maintains some kind of control, but strictly speaking HM, I think you could be right, although I am not sure if Nathaniel Clyne is a player we have looked at?

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM

G, having listened to some Macdonald commentarys this season he seemed well impressed by what he’d seen from Carroll, Bob Moncur even likening some of Andy’s play, and rightly so, to a certain Shearer at times.
    If it was down to me I’d give him the no. 10 shirt and get a new striker in to take the 9 shirt however I haven’t got the money to help out and Ashley will do sod all to help out too.

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

If Palace go into liquidation they will have no option but to start selling players to recoup money.

• Turkish Magpie

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Palace have sold most of their good players though? back in January

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM

If the company is liquidated though MacToon, would the players be contracted to a ‘non-existent’ organisation? Or would they all be free agents? I think that’s what HM was asking?

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM

No they have someone in charge of the clubs finances atm, the receiver I believe and he has said that if they have no definate bids for the club by 3 o’clock they will have no option but to go into liquidation and will need to sell players.

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM

It seems, according to Lee Ryder, that CH is looking at Man City’s Boyota as a loan deal. This on the basis that we groom the 19 year old for his future role at Man City because CH cannot promise Man U’s starlets first team football. Are we to become a nursery side for the Premierships so-called big guns?

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Ericles, I sort of see your concerns, but to me the loan deals are surely a sign that our own yougsters and reserves are simply not good enough to consolodate a decent league position, and as there appears to be very little or no transfer funds available, depending on which journalist / rumour page you believe. I hope CH and his coaching staff have done their homework on any prospective loan deals, as well as internal options, and we have to believe regardless what happens they have the interests of our club first.

• eltoro

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I reckon we should take Ambrose back off Palace. He always gave 100% and you can’t argue with the goals he got this year in an average side. Would be decent cover across the whole midfield.

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I thought Ambrose had signed for QPR, or is that still just paper talk?

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I agree G. Our manager and his staff have been placed in an awkward position and need all of our support. Anyway not all loan deals escape – we still have Simpson. Not sure if Ambrose went to QPR. Would we have to pay cash if we still wanted him?
    He would be a useful capture menthinks.

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM

MacToon seems to think we would still have to pay a fee, and to be honest what he says make sense I suppose. Shame like, I would have him, but only for cover for the flanks.

• JSYproject

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

ericles you are the biggest whingebag going.. You complained in another article about people discussing niall ranger being loaned out because our squad had little depth, now your complaining that there lookin to add more depth to the squad in boyata. Im so pleased i dont have to deal with you on a day to day basis you would have me as negative as you are

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM

We should never have sold Ambrose in the first place. He had a phenomenal strike ratio for a CM – something like 1 in 5, which for someone so young as well is crazy

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I have said all along that we must not loan anybody out until we have an in depth squad that can do well in the Premiership. I have said all along that any loan players we have will be loan players that we could possible buy later. I am opposed to NUFC being used by the likes of Man U and Arsenal as a nursery team to improve their players to a point where we would not afford to buy them should we wish do so. It is not negativity to recognise that CH is being held over a barrel by the most invidious and selfish profiteer that this club has ever been owned by. And who says Boyota will be an improvement? The media says so. CH may be a good judge but can the same be said about Lee Ryder? Mark my words Ashley has not finished the “burning” of NUFC yet.

• JSYproject

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM

jesus what a surprise another negative comment.. It seems to me your the only one ‘burning’ nufc, you complain that we may loan our youth out, you moan that we may loan someone else in, i pull you on how much your moaning and you moan some more. Do you understand the word ‘supporter’?

If we have no money for transfers then loans are gonna have to do, so if one of manu’s youth or arsenals youth are gonna help us stay in the premiership then why not? Should we just stay as we are and get relegated just because were too immature to take a lending hand in return for some experience for their players? So you would see nufc in the championship again just to spite these ‘big guns’? You are a joke of a football fan

• komfort

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

JSYproject // Jun 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM

jesus what a surprise another negative comment.. It seems to me your the only one ‘burning’ nufc, you complain that we may loan our youth out, you moan that we may loan someone else in, i pull you on how much your moaning and you moan some more. Do you understand the word ’supporter’?…..

are you the self appointed moderator of the blog ….pulling people on how much they moan !!!! what the f@ck has it got to do with you what people post on here ????…if you dont like it ignore it…you smarmy prick.

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM

JSYproject. I have been watching NUFC since my Dad took me aged 8 in 1952. I think I am aware more than you from actual experience of being a fan and supporter than you. All the ups and downs, and all the thick and thins. It is not moaning to berate the idiotic and shameful juncture that fat Ashley, and his fans like you, have brought this club to. I have seen coal miners and engineers play for NUFC. There are none of our lot left either. There is a difference between lending a hand than having Ashley tie CH’s hands behind his back. And one final word – you can go in a number of pubs and see some of my ancestors wearing black and white stripes in pictures on the walls – the Hedley’s for example. I never found photos of my own father in his black and white in the Newcastle Swifts of the late 20’s.That is the heritage I am trying to stick up for not the treachery of a cheapjack ex-barrow boy from Buckingham shire!

• JSYproject

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

im no ashley fan, i know hes done wrong.. But i also know that i can support the lads and be positive without having to resort to narrow minded ashley bashin that your ‘support’ seems to have turned into. It seems a shame that a fan of that long has become quite the opposite. I can tell ive hit a nerve otherwise you wouldnt have got on the defensive, tellin me how your the better fan than me etc.. you must realise what you are doing falls short of ‘support’. But if you have grown old twisted and bitter then thats your problem, optimism is the key for me 🙂 id much rather look forward to who we might sign and how well the lads might do, rather than lookin round every corner to find something else ashley might be doin wrong.. I dont think i have seen you make one football related post that didnt have some sort of ashley bashing theme or meaning to it. Just think about that for a second before you press that ‘submit content’ button.

• Marty-Toon

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

The no.9 is an important shirt for us and Andy will do well and thrive in it.
    The No.7 shirt at MAN U is a very important shirt for them after the great players that have worn it and just look who is wearing it now………….HA HA HA HA HA HA Serves them right.He certainly wont do that shirt justice.PLONKER

• JSYproject

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

komfort get out of his bum, i said he whinges too much, get over it

• Geordie_Pants

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

kris Boyd

Scotland International Record

16 games
    7 goals

Sound good? 🙂 hope he does come to newcastle, i think he can get us around 10-15 goals next season. He is similar to Bent in many respects, dont ask him to create goals himself but get the ball to him and happy days!!!!

• noir9

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Supermac seems to have turned into just another bitter old pro…..there’s no doubt he was great in his day but can now offer very little & is desperate for some media interest, perhaps he’s hopeing for the call to join the other muppets on soccer saturday. When he opens his mouth he simply confirms the fact that great players don’t make great managers.