Reports Continue Over Newcastle Interest In Granqvist

We reported last week that sources in Holland were claiming that Newcastle are keen on FC Groningen’s Swedish international and former Wigan defender Andreas Granqvist.

Andreas Granqvist – 5 Swedish caps

We hope this report is not true, because we’re not sure this player is good enough for Newcastle,  but of course that doesn’t stop the news sources
claiming the Tyneside club will stiff competition for the 25-year-old center-back.

Granqvist was specifically unsuccessful at Wigan, where he stayed only a year and played just 14 times for the Lancashire club, so we’re not sure what has changed these last couple of years to make him good enough to play for Newcastle.

The player himself has tried to ramp up interest in himself, and he said today:

“There are many clubs who are interested from Scotland, France and Germany,”

“Celtic have had me watched several times. Celtic currently show the most interest and I am certainly interested.”

“Certainly, there is a difference between interest and concrete, but it looks promising.”

Notice he doesn’t say any clubs from England are interested.

We’re not sure at all that  we need any central defensive additions for next season with Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Williamson and Tamas Kadar all fighting it out for the two center back positions.

What do you think?

• Turkish Magpie

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Found this on a football rumours site

Don’t know if theres any truth in it, what do you reckon? and ignore the 1st part 😛

First Of All to the deluded Leeds fans who reckon their getting Newcastle’s whole team are all pathetic. The only Players Hughton will let go are Best, Xisco and Ameobi (for a good fee) So don’t even dare DREAMING of getting Nolan, Smith or STaylor and ESPECIALLY Andy Carroll! Because None of these will want to leave their now beloved Newcastle United and even though Smith and Nolan aren’t Newcastle fans if you saw either of them this season then you’ll see just how much this club means to them!

Now to real Transfers!

Source: one of my friends ( i cannot specify for his reasoning) is a coach at Newcastle

INS: Kris Boyd: (FREE) a done deal, this isn’t Hughtons main target by a long way but Newcastle need another striker and Hughton is more than happy enough to have Boyd, however there IS another striker coming but my friend cannot say YET

Nedem Onouha: (Undisclosed) Although not a done deal yet the only thing in the way is the price, a fee between 4–6mil is expected and Onouha wants to join Newcastle. I also cannot say where this transfer money has come from, all he said is it will happen

Tom Cleverly: (Season Loan) Done Deal, Contracts being sorted and Wilshere is NOT coming.

He also said another Man City player (That isn’t Onouha is deffinately coming on the condition that they get one of our players, my friend can specify no more due to the great need to keep this secret.

OUTS: Xisco: (3.5mil) Racing Santander– DONE DEAL

Leon Best: Not yet a done deal however Nottingham Forest and Blackpool have both expressed SERIOUS interest and an offer has been made from one of them.

Steven Taylor: Arsenal – Taylor WANTS to stay, however a fee over 10million will be accepted from any club and Arsenal are favourites

P.S: To explain to Leeds fans how much GEORDIES love the club (eg Andy Carroll) take Robert Snodgrass’s love for Leeds and times that by 100000000000000000000000000000000000000!!

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

What route is this coach on?

• Turkish Magpie

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Ericles- sorry is that question aimed at me? I have no idea as i just found this on a rumours site, sounds like the guy knows what he’s talking about and i wonder if theres any truth behind it?

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I wouldn’t put too much faith in that site Turkish, but thanks for posting.

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Just a sad joke really Turkish Magpie. I just do not trust many of these rumours. Like Granquist – do you think there is any truth in that. Do we need him and is he a worthwhile addition. After all Wigan are no barometer of whether a player does well or not. Obviously you cannot reveal your sources and I also feel sorry for the mental state of Leeds fans. As for CH’s recent comments I believe he will get only what he can get. Already the likes of Blackpool and Everton are gazumping us – if the rumours are true.

• estechco

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Sounds a lot like the same guff that jaynufc89 was spouting around these parts last week.

Strange that I haven’t seen him on here lately, given that this was all meant to kick off last Friday?!?

• Turkish Magpie

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM

G- No problems mate 😀

Ericles- oh ok 😛 and no i don’t beleive that we’re after Granquist however all the transfers mentioned are highly beleivable 😛

• Ericles

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I am beginning to think there is some truth in the Boyd rumour. That way Ranger can go on loan. And I also feel that Ashley would sell Taylor if the right offer came in regardless of what Steve thinks.
    I hate Ashley for putting us all through these unsettling times. If he cared he would “comment” would he not?

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Turkish, it’s no better than the pish that Jay posts on here and from a site called football RUMOURS not football transfers-donedeals.

I’ll say again, every transfer window you will get some people crawling out of the woodwork claiming to know about transfer and 99% of the time its rubbish.

• Turkish Magpie

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM

MacToon- agreed, as i said before though it sounded like the guy knew what he was talking about.

Probably JayToon again though trying to stir things up.

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I did look at your link Turkish to see if there was a name of the person posting listed, half expecting it to read ‘jay’ or similar. To be fair to the kid, I have probs given him a harder time than most, and i actually quite enjoy his posts, I just don’t put any faith in them, and his inconsistencies just don’t add up.

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM

G, I don’t mind rumours atall just have a problem when they believe they are facts…. or more irritating 110% certain!

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Yeah, I did lol at your 10% too much comment on one of yesterdays threads Mac. I have a list as long as my arm of players who I would love to be linked with the toon, but I don’t post as rumours, I just hope CH and his scouts know what they need, and have identified possibilites.

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM

mmmm , look at the misuse of the words their * they’re, there etc, easy to spot and is in Turkish post from fotoyrumours….

“deluded Leeds fans who reckon their getting Newcastle’s whole team”

rings a bell with a certain Mr Jay.

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Well I’d break the bank to get J Cole in but if Arsenal and others are really interested then we have no chance even if he is out of contract soon 🙁

• toonpigeon

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I prefer to trust the news on the metro about signing Boyd. I would really like to see him signed really soon, although he may not be a top target of Hughton’s I think he would be great to add to our strike force.

I wouldn’t see Lovenkrands getting much opportunity if we did sign Boyd. Any other news on transfers?

• Sav

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Granqvist? Is that the sound of a barrel being scraped?