Fabio Capello Cuts Walcott And Bent

The BBC is reporting that the surprise omission from the 23 man England World Cup squad is Arsenal’s Theo Walcott.

Theo Walcott – cut by England manager Fabio Capello?

It looks like Chelsea’s Joe Cole has been included in the final squad, after his very good performance in the second half against Japan on Sunday when England came back to win that game 2-1 after looking hopeless in the first half.

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips also is said to keep his place, probably due to his enthusiastic second half display on Sunday, and the injury-prone Tottenham defender Ledley King, who’s as excellent player when he does play,  is also included.

The BBC also understands that Aston Villa left-back Stephen Warnock gets the nod over Everton’s Leighton Baines, who had a nightmare game against Mexico last week.

Gareth Barry had a fitness test on his injured ankle on Tuesday morning, and the reports suggest the tests went well – and we have to hope Gareth is on the plane to South Africa.

Nothing has been officially announced yet,  but it looks like the 7 England players cut from the initial 30 man squad are:

Theo Walcott – Arsenal
Darren Bent – Sunderland
Adam Johnson – Manchester City
Scott Parker – West Ham
Michael Dawson – Tottenham
Leighton Baines – Everton
Tom Huddlestone – Tottenham

Update: This has now been confirmed – and the delay was caused by England manager Fabio Capello talking individually to each of the players cut from the squad  – another class act by the England manager.

Now to win the thing!

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM

DOn’t mention Bent to any Mackems, they’re fuming. HAHAHA. It’s brilliant

• toonboyjake

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:19 PM

i was under the impression huddlestone wasnt in the squad and carrick was

• andoni

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM

yes, and i think dawson is in the squad also

• toonboyjake

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM

i think your right there, from what sky sports are saying the squad will be something like this;
    hart green james
    johnson carragher terry rio king dawson cole warnock
    swp joe cole lennon carrick barry lampard gerrard milner
    rooney heskey defoe crouch

• Chris F

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM

do feel sorry for Bent, even if he is a dirty mackem.

No way Heskey should be going ahead of him,or if you must have heskey, i’d have taken bent over defoe.

walcott wasgiven plenty of chances to play himself onto the plane, but two non-existent performances in the warmups have scuppered his chances.

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM

No end product with Walcott, to be fair, playing a man on the wing, who cannot cross isn’t actually much use in the tournament. Might as well deploy him as a goalpost.

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM

The squad he’s taken is shocking.

I agree with the strikers, but why take Warnock?
    1 game for England and it was 2 years ago. This now means he has 3 RBs including Carragher, but only 1 left back.

Also Dawson is nothing special and if he’s played against any decent teams we’ll get torn apart.

SWP is crap and has been pushed out of the Man City squad by Johnson, who for some reason isn’t going. Walcott can also double-up as a striker, which SWP can’t

What happened about picking ‘in form’ players, eh, Mr. Capello.

Looks like we’ll be heading back in the last 16 if we get any injuries in my opinion, if we don’t then the quarters…

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I am rather dissapointed.. Johnson should of gone instead of SWP.. dawson instead of Dawson and even though bent plays for the mackems he should of gone ahead of heskey .. heskey is a donkey cant score to save his life..
    my 7 would of been.. upson. walcott.heskey.SWP.huddlestone.carrick.baines.
    my team would be

hart
    johnson terry ferdinand cole
    milner/lennon gerrard/barry lampard Lennon/gerrard
    gerrard
    rooney

or hart.
    johnson ferdi terry cole
    lennon gerrard lampard milner
    crouch rooney

barry has an injury so probs wont play for first few games

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM

My bad, I thought Warnock was a RB. Well, that taken in, it’s still a pretty poor squad

• G

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I would say (although I hate to admit it) that I would have taken bent over heskey too. If you have ten mins left and you need an impact player from the bench. Heskey is deffo not your man. Bent may well be?

• toonboyjake

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

i think its a pretty strong squad and they players omitted (other than baines and dawson) should’ve been omitted. i was at england v egypt and v mexico and imo walcott deserved to be dropped, upson shouldve been, baines should be in the squad but heard that he doesnt travel well and gets homesick so maybe that helped warnocks inclusion, bent was useless against japan 1st half, heskey will always get the nod over him as heskey is a great link up player and although he never scores gives opposing back 4s hell, bent is a good striker but wont link up with rooney like heskey. barry will only miss one game jay as capello said he would only take him if he was sure he would only miss the usa game, verry balanced squad with 2 players per position, think the gk situation will be good as all 3 are very good keepers withi personally think hart should be no1 though

• DanNUFC

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

jaynufc89, any news on the transfers?, just because of the comments about no signings til after the WC

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Anybody who thinks Bent should go ahead of Heskey needs their brain sorting.

Heskey, although he can’t hit a barn door, gives 100% every game, his link-up with Rooney is good and he has a bit of WC experience.

Bent scores a lot of tap-ins and other scrappy goals that you won’t get in the WC, doesn’t even look like he’s bothered 95% of the time (did anyone see him against Japan – disgraceful attitude), the games just pass him by, he doesn’t have the right style to fit into England’s plans, he doesn’t have any good link-up with any of the other players and, to add to this, he’s a Mackem

• Bucks mag

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Like a few other people on here, I am shocked at some at the additions/exclusions.

BUT I remind myself and we have to remember that Fabio Capello is one of the best ever football managers – he is no mug, and is in the position and of the knowledge to make the best decision. I have faith in his squad.

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I’ve got no updates on the transfers mate.. although alot of Swansea fans are saying Williams is moving to Newcastle.. weather its true or not I don’t know.. The signings may well possibley be announced after the world cup which is what.. 3 weeks.. but I think the whittingham deal is already agreed. and boyd will follow.. have to wait and see..

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

After the WC!!

That nearly 6 weeks!!

I’m starting to doubt your sources, jay…

• cupiddstunt

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I’m glad to see that I ‘m not the only one that see’s the value of Heskey in the squad, he might not score a lot of goals but he creates so many chances for the others to get them.

He gives the other sides defence major probs with his movement off the ball and strength in his hold up play and able to lay the ball off, all you have to do is ask the goal scorers who have partnered Heskey, all through his career he has made life easy for his partners and they will all tell you he is one of the best to play along side.

• Craigg

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Jay Nufc

Were did that one come from youve been talking about a few players and he aint one of em altough Whittingham would be a great signing.

What happened to the supposed deals for Wheater, Ohouha and Boyd You said they were defo done by the weekend

• baro

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Same here Jaynufc89

I’m starting to not believe you. Because your deal dates keep getting delayed. You keep delaying them, even though the transfers look 99% realistic.

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM

cupid
    Exactly. I’ve only seen Heskey play live for England once and all he does is runs out wide, but it creates so much space for others to run into.
    He’s like a less effective Peter Beardsley

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM

the world cup only lasts 3 weeks. so 4 weeks.. my transfers are correct but i admit the time length is incorrect as shown. hughton was late back rom holiday. whittingham has supposely agreed a £2million switch. wheater and onouha have been seen at newcastles training ground. boyds been seen outside SJP. the ash williams one my m8 who is a swansea fan told me today hes going their with ranger going to them on loan for the season. I hope its true as it would be a good signing. if its not then we’l have to go for someone else. I am confident we’ll get Whittingham, onouha and boyd. when it happends I dont know. as far as I know it has been agreed but hughton is holding back the announcement.

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

The williams, and wheater and whittingham deals sound realisitc to me. and I think they are true. as hughton did say he would look to the championship for up coming talent. we could get all 3 for around £8million. and if taylor leaves for around £7million then we’d only spend £1million of the rumoured £8million ashley has given us. and would have wheater and williams at the back but I would prefer taylor and williams.. although selling taylor and getting them 3 players for 8million would prove very good and clevor buiness. then we’d have 7 million to get a CM and a striker. jamie mcarther 3million and wickham 4million? or someone else.

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM

😆 again

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Full squad btw:

Goalkeepers
    Robert Green, Joe Hart, David James

Defenders
    Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders
    Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Forwards
    Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

• Toon1978

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM

jaynufc89

hope you are correct on them signings mate i have just seen this….

• DanNUFC

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM

i really hope you’re right as id love to see Onouha especially, and boyd and whittingham. not so sure we’d need both wheater and willaims, unless we were planning on selling one of our centre backs or loaning out kadar. id also like us to sign vela on loan. also, i thought there was a rumour of 4 million for whittingham?

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Why don’t you learn, jaynufc89 knows no more than most of us about who we are buying.

• Toon1978

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I seen something on NEWS NOW yesterday saying Onouha didn’t want a move to NUFC.

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM

* or selling

• Toon1978

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM

MacToon

It doesn’t matter whether the signings come off or not its just nice to have a little hope. We need to strengthen or we are doomed for another season of doom.

• stevep

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Same old team thats been tried by erricson, mclaren and now capello – bizarre, they’ve never done very well and have only gotten older, slower – we’ll be lucky to make qtr final stageand even then we’ll def be knocked out (although the media will be saying we were really unlucky blah blah)
    Pathetic England

• Toon1978

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Take it your disappointed stevep lol??????

• MacToon

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM

stevep, glad Carragher’s going and hope Hart is no1 choice goalkeeper. Other than that I agree, alot of pressure on Rooney to do the business.

• Craigg

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Jaynufc:

I really hope your right, I will remember this if were unveiling Robbie Savage, Paul McShane and Marcus Bent later this month…

Whittingham, Wheater and Onuoha would be terrific players for us and Boyd would be a fair signing if he could nick 12-15 goals next season on a freebie.

Would still like a couple of loan kids in Van Aanholt especially as cover for Jose and Cleverly looks likely too.

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

to that link. How can newcastle be poised to sign him but birmingham are front runners LOL.. If we’re poised to sign him then that makes us the front runners.. Dearie me the press hates us dont they.. and the sunday sun said Nedium doesnt want to join us.. and its crossed onto websites.. although a few days before that he said he was keen on a move to SJP surely he knew who barton played for then !. Their is alot of rumours saying taylor is leaving.. though I think hes not. I reckon we’ll get nedium boyd. albin and williams possibley whittingham. we’ll have to wait and see.. I think the boyd one will be done in the next few days according to websites we’re on the verge of completeing it.. maybe they just dont want to announce them till after the WC. But I expect to see Onouha,boyd,albin in black and white next year. maybe wheater or williams we wont get both. and maybe whittingham .

• Geordie_Pants

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM

My sources have told me that Newcastle will win the Premier League next season. Prior to last season my sources informed me that Chelsea would win the EPL, and Fulham would be knocked out of the UEFA final. Trust me!

• Howay The Lads

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM

‘Boyd would be a fair signing if he could nick 12-15 goals next season on a freebie.’

Only fair!!! On a free and he could have potentially gained us 45 points. High standards, huh

Also bringing PvA would undermine Kadar’s position at the club. Kadar, last season, when played at LB did as good as PvA, so why spend money on bringing in another player and let ours rot on the bench

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I would sell colo. hes over 26. and I would bring in a younger defender. although hughton did say he doesnt see anyone else apart from xisco leaving! meaning taylor will stay. Hughton is a clever man and I dont think he’ll let taylor leave he’ll outline his ambitons and get taylor to sign a new deal I think. although I could be wrong.. kadar has potential to be a very good defender. I think Boyd will score goals for us. I think its worth a shot if he flops then we can flog him to a scottish team for a few million quid where hes proven !. sounds a good deal to me.

• Mac

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Jay be quiet you little Nonce. Sell Colo because he’s over 26. So’s Terry will chelsea be selling him, Vidic and ferdinand will man u be selling them becasue of their age?
    And as for your sources, Please. No one else including all the worlds media has seen Boyd for weeks but u have a pic of u and your mate Boydey outside SJP. Rubbish. Do me a favour and jump back into bed with your mother.

• jaynufc89

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Mac.. Boyd was seen outside sjp and its well documated on all websites that hes poised to sign. as for Colo.. Hes WANK he even made mistakes in the championship and only reason we wasn’t punished was due to the other teams poor strikers.. he was one of the reasons we went down.. the 2nd goal WBA scored at SJP was due to him losing his marker.. Maynards goal was again due to him.. derby f*ckin derby ran rings around him.. stop being deluded and accept the truth.. we spent 10million on a crap defender.. who looks good in the crap spannish league but cant hack it in the prem. sell him and get in someone who can actually defend. end of.

1 2 3 12